Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
kangasox
Registered Users
seller

6 months old nursing - Reassure me!

My LO was 6 months yesterday and is EBF. She's my second, so I'd think I'd remember/know what I'm about to ask. Obviously, in the past several weeks, she's been so easily distracted and pops on and off while nursing. I feel like she hasn't been eating as much and still isn't She only nurses on one side, and for about 10 minutes, as opposed to how she used to love to stay and nurse and nurse. We're still getting lots of pees and poos, but she seems like she's started drinking so much less and has actually started going longer between nursings, so we've lost a time she typically nursed. She hasn't gained a whole lot in the past few weeks (she was 9.12 at birth and 18.4 now, so she's not a skinny-mini!). She nurses around 4am, 8, 12pm, 4, 7, 10. I really can't remember back to my first, and she was a totally different nurser. Is she in a phase and this is normal? Thanks!

Advertisement

kangasox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #2
tcmt81
Registered Users
seller

Re: 6 months old nursing - Reassure me!

10 minutes is plenty of time if they are sucking effectively. Earlier on they do a lot of pacifying, and do not get a high flow of milk the entire time they are on. This is also about the time weight gain slows down, so as long as there is lots of output, I wouldn't worry.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

It's normal, but this is also the time to stay vigilant that she *is* getting enough to eat at the breast, because they can be so distracted at this age. I can't tell you how many mothers of babies around this age I hear complaining of the same thing. It can really drive you nutty, and also wreak some havoc on your supply if you're not careful she's not spacing her feedings out too far. You might consider offering a bit more frequently during the day, especially if she sleeps a lot at night. HTH!
musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My LO is just about 6 months and does the EXACT same thing! Ive been reassured that as they get older, they get more efficient at nursing so they may only need to nurse for 5-10 minutes-he nurses between 7-12 mins and only does one side most times too. As long as you are getting plenty of pees and poos and baby seems happy I wouldnt worry!
Old 02-17-2011, 07:25 PM   #5
kangasox
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicalisa View Post
It's normal, but this is also the time to stay vigilant that she *is* getting enough to eat at the breast, because they can be so distracted at this age. I can't tell you how many mothers of babies around this age I hear complaining of the same thing. It can really drive you nutty, and also wreak some havoc on your supply if you're not careful she's not spacing her feedings out too far. You might consider offering a bit more frequently during the day, especially if she sleeps a lot at night. HTH!
Yeah, this is what I'm worried about. I did have supply issues with my first, and things have been perfect so far this time. But when I try to offer it more frequently, she gets aggravated and tells me for sure what she wants! And when she nurses in her sleep/to sleep, she nurses a lot longer, but I guess some of that could be pacifying too.
kangasox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
Khall05
Registered Users

Breastfed babies tend to plump the first 6 months and lean out the next 6 as they become mobile and use up more calories. Also, they become quite efficient with their nursing. As everyone else has said, as long as you have enough wet diapers, you don't need to worry. If you are really concerned about your babies intake, sometime trying to add a dream feed can help. I cosleep with my son so I know that if he has a day where he doesn't eat quite as much, he will catch up at night. Also, if your baby just went through a growth spurt, it may feel like they are nursing less when in actuallity, they are just down to their new normal. I bet your doing great! Keep it up!
Khall05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:58 AM   #7
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khall05 View Post
Breastfed babies tend to plump the first 6 months and lean out the next 6 as they become mobile and use up more calories. Also, they become quite efficient with their nursing. As everyone else has said, as long as you have enough wet diapers, you don't need to worry. If you are really concerned about your babies intake, sometime trying to add a dream feed can help. I cosleep with my son so I know that if he has a day where he doesn't eat quite as much, he will catch up at night. Also, if your baby just went through a growth spurt, it may feel like they are nursing less when in actuallity, they are just down to their new normal. I bet your doing great! Keep it up!
Yes, this exactly. My son is 7 months old, and while he's still not crawling he's a lot more active and has started to slim out a bit. He's been nursing a lot less during the day (not always, but usually), but his nighttime feedings are a lot more "thorough."

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #8
mom2ally06
Registered Users
seller

Yeah we have the same issue and she is only 5m. Can you take her into a quiet room or rocking chair? This has helped her, otherwise she just wants to look around. Very nosey age!!Not just interested in the boobs anymore
Old 02-18-2011, 02:27 PM   #9
Little Miss Kate
Registered Users
Formerly: JAMs Wife
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by amb2j View Post
My LO is just about 6 months and does the EXACT same thing! Ive been reassured that as they get older, they get more efficient at nursing so they may only need to nurse for 5-10 minutes-he nurses between 7-12 mins and only does one side most times too. As long as you are getting plenty of pees and poos and baby seems happy I wouldnt worry!

DS only nurses 4 times a day now (I pump twice to help keep up my supply and mix in BM with cereal and his veggies)
Not to worry it is normal as long as your LO is happy

My BLOG - Check out the Giveaways going on now!!!
Little Miss Kate is offline   Reply With Quote