Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-23-2011, 07:09 AM   #11
mom2jirms
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Intervention to end BFing?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelmaria View Post
Well, that sounds like the silliest intervention ever! Interventions are supposed to be for people with REAL problems! I recommend reading The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, a LLL book, and finding a support meeting near you. I also suggest you tell your sister and bff to do the same - read the book and attend some meetings. Heck, in my town, the LLL senior leaders even post their phone numbers on the LLL website and mamas can just call with questions!

One of my tactics in avoiding other people telling me what to do is A. doing my homework, and B. talk about my decisions in the norm, despite it not being "socially accepted". So, when I said I was having a homebirth, I just talked about it casually as if nothing was odd about it. If I was questioned about it, I can easily mention the statistics that show c-sections are way out of balance here in the USA due to drug intervention. I can casually talk about the millenia of women who have been birthing in the bush before I was even born.
When I talk about breast-feeding, I have no problem saying I hope hope hope that my daughter breastfeeds for at least two years. It's all in the tone -- "well, obviously I'd want to BF for as long as possible, wouldn't you??" Not with an elitist tone, but what you are implying is wouldn't you want what is best for your kid for as long as possible?? And I've gotten very little resistance. If I get any "oh that's weird!!" kind of comments, I remind them that when a kid is 18 months, it's not an EBF baby. It will eat solids, but when it falls and bonks its head or wants to go to sleep, nursing is there to help them.

I've also found that using the "sleep card" works wonders. "Ew! You co-sleep! That sounds so dangerous! Don't you want your alone time?" And I can reply with, "Well, however my daughter falls asleep is how it's going to be because I want to sleep!" This could be used for nursing for sure. Who doesn't love the power of the boob and the magic of nursing down?!?!
Umm heck yeah, thats the only reason I did it Just kidding

Advertisement

Last edited by mom2jirms; 02-23-2011 at 07:13 AM.
mom2jirms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:10 AM   #12
mom2jirms
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelmaria View Post
Well, that sounds like the silliest intervention ever! Interventions are supposed to be for people with REAL problems! I recommend reading The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, a LLL book, and finding a support meeting near you. I also suggest you tell your sister and bff to do the same - read the book and attend some meetings. Heck, in my town, the LLL senior leaders even post their phone numbers on the LLL website and mamas can just call with questions!

One of my tactics in avoiding other people telling me what to do is A. doing my homework, and B. talk about my decisions in the norm, despite it not being "socially accepted". So, when I said I was having a homebirth, I just talked about it casually as if nothing was odd about it. If I was questioned about it, I can easily mention the statistics that show c-sections are way out of balance here in the USA due to drug intervention. I can casually talk about the millenia of women who have been birthing in the bush before I was even born.
When I talk about breast-feeding, I have no problem saying I hope hope hope that my daughter breastfeeds for at least two years. It's all in the tone -- "well, obviously I'd want to BF for as long as possible, wouldn't you??" Not with an elitist tone, but what you are implying is wouldn't you want what is best for your kid for as long as possible?? And I've gotten very little resistance. If I get any "oh that's weird!!" kind of comments, I remind them that when a kid is 18 months, it's not an EBF baby. It will eat solids, but when it falls and bonks its head or wants to go to sleep, nursing is there to help them.

I've also found that using the "sleep card" works wonders. "Ew! You co-sleep! That sounds so dangerous! Don't you want your alone time?" And I can reply with, "Well, however my daughter falls asleep is how it's going to be because I want to sleep!" This could be used for nursing for sure. Who doesn't love the power of the boob and the magic of nursing down?!?!
Umm heck yeah, thats the only reason I did it Just kidding but it was def. a plus!!

Last edited by mom2jirms; 02-23-2011 at 07:12 AM.
mom2jirms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:11 AM   #13
mom2jirms
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sorry DP I HATE MY COMPUTER
Old 02-23-2011, 07:15 AM   #14
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

To answer some of your questions, I think my sis thinks its "disgusting" because our mother was very hands off, and although Ive worked hard to develop an understanding that closeness is healthy and desireable, my sis still has my mom's (unhealthy) view of closeness (i.e., that it is gross, uncomfortable etc.) and my sis will never change that-esp. b/c my mom is now deceased my sis idolizes my mom even more-Ive had my own intervention for her on that topic-lol.
And, to add to the story, my bff is presently expecting a daughter and although she says she wants to BF, I think her confidence is waning and she is projecting that on me a little (i.e., if I cant BF, you cant either). Also, my bff has a very old school hands off parenting style whereas Im more attachment oriented....so I just dont think they could ever understand....but, they dont have to understand for me to keep doing it I will do it regardless of where their minds are-haha! Their jaws nearly dropped when I told them I will be BFing at my bff's unborn daughter's first birthday

Last edited by amb2j; 02-23-2011 at 07:17 AM.
amb2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:17 AM   #15
butrcup74
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow Momma...they think five months old is too old for BF...that's just sad. Don't let them pressure you...you are doing what's best for your baby.

BTW...I don't believe the BF has no nutritional value, especially since at five months old breast milk was ALL my baby had.
butrcup74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:43 AM   #16
Geron Girls
Registered Users

That sounds like two things going on there. One is ignorance and the other is a lack of confidence in THEIR parenting choices. As for nursing having no nutritional benefit that is just bunk. We don't even offer table food until at least 6 months and then usually it's closer to 8 months. And formula - YUCK. All I can think every time I see formula is "Beetle Juice" because of the beetle infestation in the one plant. Who wants to give their baby beetle juice?
Geron Girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:14 AM   #17
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Certainly lots of ignorance if they think that BF has no nutritional advantage. That is certainly untrue, particularly as young as 5 months old. Talk to me at 2 years, and I may agree that BF is more about comfort than nutrition. But not at 5 months.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:21 AM   #18
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Have you pointed out that the World Health Organization recommends exclusive breastfeeding until at least 6 months, and then breastfeeding with some solid introduction until 2 or beyond? At this age it IS about nutrition.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:36 AM   #19
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushie tushie View Post
I'd be pissed... even if they have a problem with it, its none of their business....
Totally. the aap recommends BF to 2 years.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:51 AM   #20
jenndoxx
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geron Girls View Post
That sounds like two things going on there. One is ignorance and the other is a lack of confidence in THEIR parenting choices. As for nursing having no nutritional benefit that is just bunk...

That's so bizarre-o that anyone would think that a 5 month old baby is too old to nurse. Ridiculous! It's no wonder your friend has no confidence that she will be able to BF if she's talking to your sister about it. Strange that she would want to BF her new baby, but she's "intervening" when you are BF yours?

Jenn
Mom to two little boys
jenndoxx is offline   Reply With Quote