Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-06-2007, 10:59 AM   #1
Infinity
Registered Users
Formerly: five-littlemonkeys
seller

My Mood:
WWYD?? Car seat related

We’re moving this summer, closer to our families and many many close friends. My mom already has my kids signed up for swimming lessons, gymnastics, soccer, karate, boy scouts and is looking for a girl scout troop (can you tell she’s excited we’re moving ‘home’?). She’s (well we) are planning on doing a lot of car pooling. My youngest siblings are just older than my kids and will be in all the same classes/groups, so it’ll work out great. My oldest two (7 and 9yo) don’t use boosters in her car because they easily pass the 5-step test. In our car they’re in Graco backless boosters. We have 2 Britax Bodyguard boosters in the garage (they’re to wide to fit in our Suburban in any 2 booster 3 car seat configurations) so if they’re ever needed we have extra boosters. The twins are in Britax Wizards and the baby is in a Britax Boulevard.
It wasn’t until yesterday that I realized there will be times when my mom will take the twins. I started thinking about switching seats from car to car and ‘all that’. Ugh!!! So my questions are:
Do I switch seats each time or get spar seats for my mom/MIL/Grandmother/friends? Is it worth it?
If I do get spare seats do I get Britax seats or cheaper seats? I know I can get DH to work some over time (he won’t be happy about it but will) so we can afford 2 more Britax Boulevards but is it necessary? Do you think getting cheaper seats without SIP is like not protecting them as well when they ride with other people?

Advertisement

Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:24 AM   #2
VeggieMom
Registered Users

Re: WWYD?? Car seat related

Considering we have never been able to afford Britix, I say there are other good seats. I wouldn't consider it "not protecting your child." Being hormonal, that kinda hurt a bit. But, I do know what you mean. Look into the other seats and see what you can afford. We usually use Graco, and one other brand. We also "crash test" them at Babies R Us. We buckle them in, play with the straps, check the "make up" in person. Then we go online and see what the reviews are. We buy the one we like best, and make sure that it fits in out car before we leave whichever store we end up buying them at. But, truthfully, it doesn't have to be Britax to be safe.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:36 AM   #3
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieMom View Post
Considering we have never been able to afford Britix, I say there are other good seats. I wouldn't consider it "not protecting your child." Being hormonal, that kinda hurt a bit. But, I do know what you mean. Look into the other seats and see what you can afford. We usually use Graco, and one other brand. We also "crash test" them at Babies R Us. We buckle them in, play with the straps, check the "make up" in person. Then we go online and see what the reviews are. We buy the one we like best, and make sure that it fits in out car before we leave whichever store we end up buying them at. But, truthfully, it doesn't have to be Britax to be safe.
I agree- all seats have to pass general safety tests. Extras are nice if you can afford it, but not totally necessary. I've found that I like Graco best out of the cheaper seats. They seem to install easily and the buckles are easy to work etc.
I'm pretty sure that I read that the Graco infant seat performed better in crash testing than the Britax.
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:08 PM   #4
Infinity
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I’m sorry I offended anyone.
As fare as I know no other company makes seats that have side impact protection. It is safer and does add protection in a side impact collision. It’s extremely sad that Britax is the only maker that has figured out how to make a seat with SIP and that they’ll sell quiet well. Since my kids do sit outboard (next to the side of the car/doors) it really is nice to have that little bit of extra protection. That is what I meant by not as safe. If there was a company with cheaper seats with SIP I’d be ALL OVER them!!
I know this isn’t a concern for many of you. So many have only one DC and they sit in the center or you have 2 but have a mini van so they still both sit in the center. I’ve got 5 kids so 4 of them sit outboard.
It’s just one of those nagging thoughts I have when considering buying spare seats. If I’m going to go to the expense why not go with “the best”. After all this would be purely for convenience. I could just use our existing seats. The seats would be removed when my DC get out and left at school/gymnastics with them. It would mean a lot of switching around and that loosens things up and increases misuse.

We KNOW that all seats met a standard and are safe (my DH is a CHP). But we also know that not all seats are as easy to use and install as Britax. Ease of use increase proper use. This is going to be a seat for other people to use. While my mom pretty much knows how to use them, my friends’ kids are older now and it’s been a few years since they used them, my ILs are about clueless and my Aunt and Grams have NEVER used them and think there’s no need for them. So ease of use and installation are also BIG things to consider for us.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:19 PM   #5
baby1577
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

How old are your twins? (i should have looked in your siggy, but forgot!)

How much do they weigh and how tall are they?

RF or FF?

We have a decathlon in our car, and a FPSVD in my moms. I'm comfortable with him being in the FP once or twice a month, but wouldn't be if it were more like two or 3 times a week.
I am living the dream selling Plexus! Message me for info about a line of products that can help your family achieve overall wellness. Free shipping for all my DS mamas! Join my team today and find financial freedom! I have! http://shea7.myplexusproducts.com
baby1577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:17 PM   #6
Infinity
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They’ll be 3yo at the end of June. They weigh 30lbs and 31lbs and they’re 38in tall. Because of how 3 car seats and 2 boosters fit our seat arrangement means they must be FF. If I can convince DH to get a bigger vehicle (full size van) or if I where to get pg and we’re forced to size up I’ll turn them back RF providing they’re still under 33lbs. But for riding with family and friends they’ll be FF.
That’s part of what I’m trying to figure out. I agree if it just once or twice a month I’ll just go get cheap seats or move their seats every time but if it ends up being 3 times a week I’ll want Boulevards. I guess I’ll just wait and see for now.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:40 AM   #7
suebe333
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hey , here's a thought ... whoever has the kids has the vehicle with all the carseats