Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
~whitehologram~
Registered Users
Formerly: whitehologram
seller

My Mood:
Pressure cooker recipes please

I just got a new (well 2 really, a 4.5litre ad a 6litre) pressure cooker and now I'm looking for yummy recipes to make for my family in it.

We have a couple of food issues in our family. My daughter is Gluten intolerant and Lactose intolerant. My son is allergic to eggs and tomato paste/ketchup (he seems to be ok-ish with puréed tomatoes) but I thought if I need to make a dish with pasta in it I could use both pots and still be making the same meal. I can always freeze any extras.

Do you have a yummy dish you love to make in your pressure cooker?

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
landvsmama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Pressure cooker recipes please

I like to use mine to cook beans because of how much it speeds up the process. I have had a hard time using it to make meals though, seems like it takes a lot of the flavor out. I am curious to see what recipes people post!
Old 02-19-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
~whitehologram~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Maybe a little pressure cooker inspiration is needed?

'scuse the door of my glass cupboard. Cami likes to smear things with sauce and I hadn't noticed that.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
shannon658
Registered Users
seller

We do Indian food in ours. http://www.showmethecurry.com
I'd think that would work with your children's allergies too. No gluten for the most part in the legume/bean based dishes, though some have pureed tomatoes.
shannon658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:31 PM   #5
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do spanish rice in mine. Saute onions in butter (or olive oil work probably work for you). Add 1 cup brown rice and saute it for a couple minutes with the onions. Measure out some salsa (I hope this "tomato product" is ok)-I used about 2/3 cup and then fill with water to 2 cups liquid total. Add to cooker and bring to boil. Put the lid on and when it starts to steam, put the weight on (I notice you have a fancier one, so do whatever you need to do for that. ). Cook for 15 minutes and remove from heat. Let the pressure go down gradually. When all pressure is gone, remove lid and fluff with fork.

If you have 2, you can cook your pinto beans in the other and make refried beans.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:57 AM   #6
~whitehologram~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well I think this thread may turn into my escapades in the kitchen with the pressure cookers. Maybe it'll inspire someone else to try something new in their pressure cooker.

Today I made Bolognese in one cooker and pasta in the other.

Bolognese:
Fine diced onion...softened in oil
crushed garlic clover.....added to the onion.
Minced meat (pork/beef) browned
Added 2 packets of purée tomatoes and rinsed one with water.
a good pinch of Italian herbs, salt and pepper and a little chicken stock powder.

Brought to the boil, then the lid on and cooked for 20 minutes at 15 psi (which on mine is on number 2).

Pasta....was a little scary and we'll probably not do just plain pasta in water in the pressure cooker again like that. In a meal maybe but not just plain in water. The pressure cooker spat water out of the top of the lid....maybe I should have used the larger 6 litre cooker for the pasta. Maybe I'll try that next time. Either way everyone stayed perfectly safe, no one got hurt. I'll just try to remember that for next time.

Oh and I asked Hubby which he preferred.....crockpot Bolognese or pressure cooker and he said pressure cooker.

Last edited by ~whitehologram~; 02-21-2011 at 08:58 AM.
~whitehologram~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:20 PM   #7
lilymama
Registered Users

My Mood:

I make this risotto recipe: http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/r..._pressure.aspx . It's fast, doesn't require watching, and cleanup is easy (esp if you have a nonstick pan).

I use chicken broth and a bit of water instead of the wine, saute some freeze-dried shallots and maybe some fresh mushrooms, and then cook the whole shebang for about 8-9 mins. Then I stir in fresh gated parmesan to taste. As the recipe points out, you can add all kinds of things to risotto, so it's pretty versatile.

You can look it up, but I think parmesan and other well-aged, hard cheeses might be OK for lactose intolerant people, esp if you use it sparingly to start.
lilymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
iamvika
Registered Users

man-oh-man am I glad I check this. I got a pressure cooker over a year ago and I'm so scared to use it. I'm afraid it'll explode in my kitchen! I wonder if I can bookmark this thread..hmmmm..

Janine, I saw a bunch of pressure cooker recipes on amazon that have really really good reviews. Maybe check those out and get the book from your library.

I have no idea why I didn't think of that before. I might steal my idea.
iamvika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:50 PM   #9
ashmomof4
Registered Users
seller

Don't be scared of your pressure cooker! I was when my IL's gave it to us several years ago, it took me almost a year to get the guts to use it and now we use it at least once a week (my husband uses it more when he cooks). I had to do some research to get over my fear-apparently they were (poorly) mass produced in the 50s and some exploded, but the new ones have features to prevent that from happening.

Now we cook lots of thing in it! My husband uses it frequently for any tough(er) cut of beef he wants to tenderize quickly and make with a brown gravy or roast with veggies, but my favorite thing to do with it is quick-soak and cook dried beans (I'm not the best about prepping my beans overnight, and want dinner in a jiffy!). You can go from dried beans to fully cooked in less than an hour (or right at one hour).

I make vegetarian chili in mine (kidney or pinto beans, carrots, tomatoes, onions, bell peppers) and black beans (for black bean & spinach burritos) all the time.
ashmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote