Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #11
itsajoi
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do I make Chicken Stock?!

I'm currently making my first go at the following recipe. I like it because I'm not big on roasting a chicken, and this has instructions for using the whole chicken. I have a friend who's used this recipe a lot with good luck!

Chicken Stock

1 whole free-range chicken or 2 to 3 pounds of bony chicken parts, such as necks, backs, breastbones and wings*
gizzards from one chicken (optional)
2-4 chicken feet (optional)
4 quarts cold filtered water
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
3 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
1 bunch parsley

*Note: Farm-raised, free-range chickens give the best results. Many battery-raised chickens will not produce stock that gels.

If you are using a whole chicken, cut off the wings and remove the neck, fat glands and the gizzards from the cavity. Cut chicken parts into several pieces. (If you are using a whole chicken, remove the neck and wings and cut them into several pieces.) Place chicken or chicken pieces in a large stainless steel pot with water, vinegar and all vegetables except parsley. Let stand 30 minutes to 1 hour. Bring to a boil, and remove scum that rises to the top. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 6 to 8 hours. The longer you cook the stock, the richer and more flavorful it will be. About 10 minutes before finishing the stock, add parsley. This will impart additional mineral ions to the broth.

Remove whole chicken or pieces with a slotted spoon. If you are using a whole chicken, let cool and remove chicken meat from the carcass. Reserve for other uses, such as chicken salads, enchiladas, sandwiches or curries. Strain the stock into a large bowl and reserve in your refrigerator until the fat rises to the top and congeals. Skim off this fat and reserve the stock in covered containers in your refrigerator or freezer.

Advertisement

Old 02-23-2011, 06:27 PM   #12
Mommamassey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have never used ACV before but I will now so I can see if my Family likes it.
Thanks Mama's
Mommamassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #13
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jveprek View Post
I save all of my veggie peels and tops. Then, when I have a whole chicken, I do whatever with it. I cover the carcas with water (a lot) then put in some apple cider vinegar. Let it sit like 30 min- 1 hour. Then cook it with the veggie peels and pieces for 12-24 hours, but at least 6 (the more the better). The ACV helps pull all the good stuff from the bones. You get this really healthy nutrient filled stock. I'll look for the link that explains how to do it. Oh, and I think it's like 2 tablespoons of ACV???
Same here. Although in use white vinegar usually.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:03 PM   #14
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajoi View Post
I'm currently making my first go at the following recipe. I like it because I'm not big on roasting a chicken, and this has instructions for using the whole chicken. I have a friend who's used this recipe a lot with good luck!

Chicken Stock

1 whole free-range chicken or 2 to 3 pounds of bony chicken parts, such as necks, backs, breastbones and wings*
gizzards from one chicken (optional)
2-4 chicken feet (optional)
4 quarts cold filtered water
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
3 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
1 bunch parsley

*Note: Farm-raised, free-range chickens give the best results. Many battery-raised chickens will not produce stock that gels.

If you are using a whole chicken, cut off the wings and remove the neck, fat glands and the gizzards from the cavity. Cut chicken parts into several pieces. (If you are using a whole chicken, remove the neck and wings and cut them into several pieces.) Place chicken or chicken pieces in a large stainless steel pot with water, vinegar and all vegetables except parsley. Let stand 30 minutes to 1 hour. Bring to a boil, and remove scum that rises to the top. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 6 to 8 hours. The longer you cook the stock, the richer and more flavorful it will be. About 10 minutes before finishing the stock, add parsley. This will impart additional mineral ions to the broth.

Remove whole chicken or pieces with a slotted spoon. If you are using a whole chicken, let cool and remove chicken meat from the carcass. Reserve for other uses, such as chicken salads, enchiladas, sandwiches or curries. Strain the stock into a large bowl and reserve in your refrigerator until the fat rises to the top and congeals. Skim off this fat and reserve the stock in covered containers in your refrigerator or freezer.
Yes, this is the recipe from Nourishing Traditions, and the one I follow.
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:58 PM   #15
ashmomof4
Registered Users
seller

I love the better than bouillion (no) chicken broth, I'm sort of lazy!

My mom made a delicious stock by boiling a rotisserie chicken (the remains of the carcass after they ate all the good off) all day.
ashmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote