Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 04:21 PM   #11
AcrossTheUniverse's Avatar
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Arizona!
Posts: 5,026
My Mood:
Re: When did you wean off of Nutramigen/Alimentum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendow View Post
If his problem is lactose, you could try a lactose-free formula or milk...did you guys ever try that? If you did and it didn't help, then his problem is probably more related to the milk protein itself. I totally agree that if he is eating other fatty dairy, then you do not need a milk. The problem becomes when (like my ds) they do not tolerate any dairy, then you do still have to fill that nutritional gap.

It is all so hard to figure out sometimes! For us, it has involved lots of trial and error and my ds still reacts very strongly to ANY milk proteins. I tend to think that the babies who do tolerate Nutramigen and Alimentum type formulas outgrow their milk intolerances far sooner than the ones like mine who need an amino-acid based formula.
I'm not sure what his problem is, exactly. We tried Enfamil Premium Lipil, Enfamil Gentlease, & Enfamil Prosobee. The prosobee worked alright, he just had really bad constipation. The regular Enfamil and the Gentlease didn't do well for him. The pediatrician at the hospital put him on Nutramigen because he was hospitalized for his reflux. He was also really colic-y. Within 24 hours he was a whole new baby. I will keep him on Nutramigen if that is all he can handle. I'm just wondering if I should try something else. He honestly hates the taste and it is hard to get him to drink it. I'm wondering if trying a low-lactose would be alright, since I know the soy will constipate him and the regular milk-based might be too much for his system. I figure if I give it a shot and it works, we can finally get away from the hypoallergenic stuff.

Advertisement

__________________
Heather, wife to James & mommy to:
Jaden (8.06), Mara (8.07), Fenn (5.09),
Elias (7.10), & Levi (11.11) 80lbs lost!
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:44 PM   #12
wendow's Avatar
wendow
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 968
Re: When did you wean off of Nutramigen/Alimentum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReiSapphireJade View Post
I'm not sure what his problem is, exactly. We tried Enfamil Premium Lipil, Enfamil Gentlease, & Enfamil Prosobee. The prosobee worked alright, he just had really bad constipation. The regular Enfamil and the Gentlease didn't do well for him. The pediatrician at the hospital put him on Nutramigen because he was hospitalized for his reflux. He was also really colic-y. Within 24 hours he was a whole new baby. I will keep him on Nutramigen if that is all he can handle. I'm just wondering if I should try something else. He honestly hates the taste and it is hard to get him to drink it. I'm wondering if trying a low-lactose would be alright, since I know the soy will constipate him and the regular milk-based might be too much for his system. I figure if I give it a shot and it works, we can finally get away from the hypoallergenic stuff.
Since you never tried a lactose-free milk formula (other than the hypoallergenic), I do think it's worth a trial. Just mix it in very gradually. I'm not surprised he hates the taste...my ds made it about 5 weeks on Nutramigen before he began reacting to it and we had to put him on Elecare...seriously, he has been on just about every formula and the Nutramigen was BY FAR the stinkiest
__________________
Wendy
Christ following family~~married to my HS sweetheart, Jason (6/95)~~mama to DD (5/00), DD (8/02),DS (10/08), ^i^ (12/09) and DS (3/27/11)
wendow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:57 PM   #13
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,852
My Mood:
Re: When did you wean off of Nutramigen/Alimentum?

DS2 was on Alimentum until 11 months. We tried Gentlease, Goodstart, and Soy formula - none worked, so the doc suspected milk and soy allergy. Since allergies run in our family, we had blood drawn and a food allergy test done at 10 months. When it came back completely negative, we started giving small amounts of dairy foods (yogurt, cheese). When he had no problems with that, we gradually switched to Enfagrow toddler formula by 11 months. When he had no problems with it, we gradually switched over to organic whole milk, eliminating formula entirely when he was 12 months old.

Most likely, unless there are allergies suspected, your ped will recommend introducing small amounts of yogurt or other dairy foods, or give you a sample of Similac Sensitive or Enfamil Gentlease to try. If no problems, will probably encourage a switch over to one of those formulas.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:48 PM   #14
AcrossTheUniverse's Avatar
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Arizona!
Posts: 5,026
My Mood:
Re: When did you wean off of Nutramigen/Alimentum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendow View Post
Since you never tried a lactose-free milk formula (other than the hypoallergenic), I do think it's worth a trial. Just mix it in very gradually. I'm not surprised he hates the taste...my ds made it about 5 weeks on Nutramigen before he began reacting to it and we had to put him on Elecare...seriously, he has been on just about every formula and the Nutramigen was BY FAR the stinkiest
It really is gross smelling. I did also try Alimentum for a short time because I thought he might need a corn free formula, and it wasn't as bad smelling. It didn't work for him though and the reason I had tried it (bad diaper rash) turned out to be caused by something else (antibiotics for ear infections) so we went right back to Nutramigen.

I have tried the Enfamil version of low-lactose (Gentlease) so I am thinking of trying Similac Sensitive since I have heard a lot of good things about it.

And, what you posted before about kids outgrowing their sensitivities is what I was wondering about. I think that is the case, too, but wanted to get some other opinions. I remember my DD1 had to be on soy until she turned 6 months old, and we tried regular formula at that point and she did fine, so she had obviously outgrown the issues she was having. Besides that, none of my other kids needed special formulas. I figured DS2 just had digestive issues from being a preemie.
__________________
Heather, wife to James & mommy to:
Jaden (8.06), Mara (8.07), Fenn (5.09),
Elias (7.10), & Levi (11.11) 80lbs lost!
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:49 PM   #15
AcrossTheUniverse's Avatar
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Arizona!
Posts: 5,026
My Mood:
Re: When did you wean off of Nutramigen/Alimentum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha-nanagins View Post
DS2 was on Alimentum until 11 months. We tried Gentlease, Goodstart, and Soy formula - none worked, so the doc suspected milk and soy allergy. Since allergies run in our family, we had blood drawn and a food allergy test done at 10 months. When it came back completely negative, we started giving small amounts of dairy foods (yogurt, cheese). When he had no problems with that, we gradually switched to Enfagrow toddler formula by 11 months. When he had no problems with it, we gradually switched over to organic whole milk, eliminating formula entirely when he was 12 months old.

Most likely, unless there are allergies suspected, your ped will recommend introducing small amounts of yogurt or other dairy foods, or give you a sample of Similac Sensitive or Enfamil Gentlease to try. If no problems, will probably encourage a switch over to one of those formulas.
Thank you! I'm thinking of trying the Similac Sensitive next week. He has already tried Gentlease and didn't do so well on it. I might also ask his pediatrician about an allergy test if the Similac Sensitive doesn't go over well.
__________________
Heather, wife to James & mommy to:
Jaden (8.06), Mara (8.07), Fenn (5.09),
Elias (7.10), & Levi (11.11) 80lbs lost!
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #16
momma4of6
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,245
Re: When did you wean off of Nutramigen/Alimentum?

My preemie born (now 11 months) was on full preemie formula for 6 months, then we did half preemie half normal, we will be switching to all normal at 13 months, The dr said he can go to cows milk at 12 months even with his 3 month prematurity, but since he is barely on solids we are going to stay on formula until he is at least 18 months, just for the calories and nutrition..If your baby is milk based sensitive, I would try a non milk base like the others mentioned, but sounds like yours about where mine is with solids, so I'd probally just keep doing the same until he eats more solids
__________________
DRYER BALLS, CoCooNs, PlayFood,
momma4of6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:35 PM   #17
Googly Bear's Avatar
Googly Bear
Registered Users
Formerly: Leighznich
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,602
My Mood:
Re: When did you wean off of Nutramigen/Alimentum?

We went from Nutramigen at 12 months to goats milk. She really LOVED goats milk compared to the nutramigen! Had no problem switching her at all, and she stayed on goats milk until she was 2 and decided she didn't like any milk at all, lol. Now every once in a while she'll have rice milk but that's about it.

Also want to note that an allergy test may not pick up a GI sensitivity to dairy. Both of my kids have a dairy intolerance - not a true allergy - but that doesn't make it any less upsetting to them. We saw a GI specialist for my son after his allergy test came back negative and she confirmed he has dairy and soy intolerances based on his body's reactions to them. So we kept it out of his system and he does fine without
__________________
~Leigh
DD 7/30/06, : DS 3/27/08, and not-so-baby anymore DS 6/7/11

Last edited by Googly Bear; 02-26-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Googly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:53 PM   #18
wendow's Avatar
wendow
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 968
Re: When did you wean off of Nutramigen/Alimentum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googly Bear View Post
Also want to note that an allergy test may not pick up a GI sensitivity to dairy. Both of my kids have a dairy intolerance - not a true allergy - but that doesn't make it any less upsetting to them. We saw a GI specialist for my son after his allergy test came back negative and she confirmed he has dairy and soy intolerances based on his body's reactions to them. So we kept it out of his system and he does fine without
This is us also and so important to note...many docs don't even understand this...babies/kids can have some very bad reactions to a food and NOT test positive on allergy testing. My ds has been tested by skin twice and blood once and does not test positive to cow's milk protein yet the poor little guy cannot even tolerate trace amounts.

There are different types of allergies and traditional allergy testing will only look for IgE-mediated allergies. When any other part of the immune system is responsible for the reaction, it is considered a non-IgE allergy. Most of the time when GI symptoms are the predominant symptoms, the allergy is non-IgE. Bad news is, IME, non-IgE allergies tend to be the kids who are the most sensitive to the allergens. Good news is, these allergies tend to be outgrown better than IgE allergies and they also are not life threatening.
__________________
Wendy
Christ following family~~married to my HS sweetheart, Jason (6/95)~~mama to DD (5/00), DD (8/02),DS (10/08), ^i^ (12/09) and DS (3/27/11)
wendow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #19
LunaBirch's Avatar
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,956
My Mood:
Re: When did you wean off of Nutramigen/Alimentum?

DS1 was on Alimentum until around 15 months.. then soy until he was just over 2. DS2 is still on Elecare at 28 months. DS3 is on Pregestimil and donor breastmilk. My 4 & 5 yos can drink cows milk now but aren't very fond of it.
__________________
Mama to 4 Mini Humans Creature 1 (7), Creature 2 (7), Creature 3 (5), and Creature 4 (3)
LunaBirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #20
AcrossTheUniverse's Avatar
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Arizona!
Posts: 5,026
My Mood:
Re: When did you wean off of Nutramigen/Alimentum?

I just wanted to update you ladies. I went ahead and gave Similac Sensitive a try when DS turned 8 months old (nearly 7 months old adjusted age). He has done quite well on it. He is actually drinking it which makes him sleep better at night. He isn't fussy on it at all. His poo has also returned to a more normal consistency (as on Nutramigen and even Alimentum he had very runny poo that left him with a constant diaper rash).

I guess it depends on why your LO is put on a hypoallergenic formula. If it is true allergies/intolerances than it is probably best to keep them on it for the long haul. I think in our case his prematurity caused him to have poor digestion/colic and the Nutramigen really helped get us through that phase. He seems to have outgrown it and I'm very thankful.
__________________
Heather, wife to James & mommy to:
Jaden (8.06), Mara (8.07), Fenn (5.09),
Elias (7.10), & Levi (11.11) 80lbs lost!
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.