Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #11
mari.b
Registered Users
seller

Re: Nourishing Traditions Support Thread

Oooh I will definitely have to come back to this thread! I started reading NT last year but then got overwhelmed because I have a problem with thinking that things need to be all or nothing. So I gave up because there was no way that I could do everything right from the book! But now I am more relaxed about it and combine the NT way of eating with a few other things that work for me. Here is what I currently do:

- I grind our whole wheat flour (always have really) and use very little to no white flour.
- For fats I have always used butter (margarine - yuck!) and evoo but have added in coconut oil as a canola oil replacement. I hope to get some pork fat to render my own lard soon. I am strangely excited about that one... ::
- I occasionally soak my grains but will admit that it is a taste I am not a huge fan of.
- A friend gave me some sourdough starter recently trying not to kill that as I experiment with it. So far I have made delicious but very thin pancakes...
- I buy mostly organic or local produce. I used to go to the farmer's market every week because we have an awesome year round all local one, but I live far away from anywhere decent to shop and have a toddler so it is difficult.
- Local (or at least what I like to call semi-local) grass-fed, free-range, or organic poultry/meat/eggs. The "organic" label does not matter to me as much as the living conditions and the animals eating what they were intended to eat.
- We have recently switched to raw milk. If we don't do that we get whole, unhomogenized, lightly pasteurized milk.
- I used to make our yogurt but haven't in a while and hope to get started back soon with it and other cultured dairy products. I did make whey and cream cheese last month.
- I lacto fermented veggies (cabbage) last month for the first time and hope to continue to add to that list. It is a taste I am going to have to get used to though...

That is all I can think about but I am sure there is more!

Advertisement

Baker's Bargain Boutique - my little piece of ebay
mari.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:37 AM   #12
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Trying to find a sugar substitute, any one tried raw can sugar? And does this seem like a good price? http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20
lecialefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #13
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecialefty View Post
My first step is going to kick HFCS out of my house. I have a small soda habit though so it's gonna be a little rough.

I already:
-use butter instead of margarine
-have free range eggs
-extremely limited my use of milk, raw milk is illegal in my state but I'm looking into a loophole..

I want to:
-make my own bread (includes grinding my own wheat if I can)
-switch from white sugar
-get grass fed beef

For the sea salt do you get the coarse or fine?
And do you mind sharing which coconut oil you get from amazon? I found this:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20
but I'm not sure if that is a good option or not.
This is what I get for Celtic sea salt
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...uct/B000SWTE02
and this is what I get for coconut oil
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...uct/B001EO5Q64
and here's the raw honey I got (sooooo good!)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...uct/B00014JNI0
and-here's the aluminum free baking powder I recently got
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...uct/B000ED7MIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mari.b View Post
Oooh I will definitely have to come back to this thread! I started reading NT last year but then got overwhelmed because I have a problem with thinking that things need to be all or nothing. So I gave up because there was no way that I could do everything right from the book! But now I am more relaxed about it and combine the NT way of eating with a few other things that work for me. Here is what I currently do:

- I grind our whole wheat flour (always have really) and use very little to no white flour.
- For fats I have always used butter (margarine - yuck!) and evoo but have added in coconut oil as a canola oil replacement. I hope to get some pork fat to render my own lard soon. I am strangely excited about that one... ::
- I occasionally soak my grains but will admit that it is a taste I am not a huge fan of.
- A friend gave me some sourdough starter recently trying not to kill that as I experiment with it. So far I have made delicious but very thin pancakes...
- I buy mostly organic or local produce. I used to go to the farmer's market every week because we have an awesome year round all local one, but I live far away from anywhere decent to shop and have a toddler so it is difficult.
- Local (or at least what I like to call semi-local) grass-fed, free-range, or organic poultry/meat/eggs. The "organic" label does not matter to me as much as the living conditions and the animals eating what they were intended to eat.
- We have recently switched to raw milk. If we don't do that we get whole, unhomogenized, lightly pasteurized milk.
- I used to make our yogurt but haven't in a while and hope to get started back soon with it and other cultured dairy products. I did make whey and cream cheese last month.
- I lacto fermented veggies (cabbage) last month for the first time and hope to continue to add to that list. It is a taste I am going to have to get used to though...

I go back on the whole organic vs local issue-for meat ideally I would like to be able to find a local grass fed source. But so far no luck, so I'm happy with organic store bought (when I can afford it)-because at least they're eating gmo free feed (and the organic brand of ground beef Costco carries does partial grass partial feed). I have found a local source of grain fed animals-but the grain is NOT organic so it's gmo. Since gmo's really scare me-I'd rather buy an organic meat from across country, then a local source fed gmo grain I think?

Same for produce-local is great, but if it's covered in pesticides is it still good? We're a huge apple growing area and I can usually get local apples for cheap. But then I read that non-organic apples are one of the highest pesticide crops-we've been to orchards for school field trips and you can see the thick covering of stuff they put on the apples-they tell us NOT to eat them until they've been thoroughly washed, and to make sure to wash our hands really well. It's sad that you can't pick an apple and eat it off the tree So I buy organic apples that come from across country.

It can be such a challenge trying to figure out what's the best choice!

[QUOTE=lecialefty;12434474]Trying to find a sugar substitute, any one tried raw can sugar? And does this seem like a good price? http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

I buy organic cane sugar at Meijer-this brand
I've been able to make the switch with no big difference-ie dh hasn't noticed lol!
The title does not say organic, but the description does? I know they make both, and I 'think' both their organic and non-organic options are gmo free.
For brown sugar I recently bought this and LOVE it-it's hard not to eat it straight from the bag

Last edited by myfrugalfunlife; 03-05-2011 at 10:10 AM.
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:01 AM   #14
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

also-here's a great blog that I adore, and she breaks down the sugar issue
http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/the-mo...ous-sweeteners

and on a side note-I bought In the Raw brand turbinado sugar at Costco my last shopping trip and it was AWFUL! It was like eating sand, even after trying to grind it in my processor. It ruined several recipes and I ended up throwing several pounds away
Old 03-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #15
mari.b
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecialefty View Post
My first step is going to kick HFCS out of my house. I have a small soda habit though so it's gonna be a little rough. I kicked the soda habit a while ago (I will admit to occasionally drinking it now) and though it was hard at first, after a few months I didn't even really like the taste of it! HFCS is like crack, though, it makes your body want more and more!

I already:
-use butter instead of margarine
-have free range eggs
-extremely limited my use of milk, raw milk is illegal in my state but I'm looking into a loophole.. Could you by chance buy a share of the cow and get the milk that way? I know people in several other states do that. Are you located close enough to another state where it is legal? While raw milk is legal in my state, the farm I get it from actually does their pick up where it is conveniently located for people in the next state where it is illegal.

I want to:
-make my own bread (includes grinding my own wheat if I can) There is nothing like freshly ground wheat flour! Start saving your pennies now for a wheat grinder!
-switch from white sugar
-get grass fed beef

For the sea salt do you get the coarse or fine? I get fine and honestly buy mine from Costco.
And do you mind sharing which coconut oil you get from amazon? I found this:
but I'm not sure if that is a good option or not.
Personally, I like that for using as a beauty product but it makes everything you cook have a faint coconut taste. I love Tropical Traditions coconut oil!
[QUOTE=lecialefty;12434474]Trying to find a sugar substitute, any one tried raw can sugar? And does this seem like a good price? http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20
While certainly better than white sugar (no GMOs), keep in mind that raw sugar is not actually raw. I buy organic sucanat (which I was actually going to link to on Amazon but felt bad because the prices have sky rocketed!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfrugalfunlife View Post

I go back on the whole organic vs local issue-for meat ideally I would like to be able to find a local grass fed source. But so far no luck, so I'm happy with organic store bought (when I can afford it)-because at least they're eating gmo free feed (and the organic brand of ground beef Costco carries does partial grass partial feed). I have found a local source of grain fed animals-but the grain is NOT organic so it's gmo. Since gmo's really scare me-I'd rather buy an organic meat from across country, then a local source fed gmo grain I think?
I think what you buy also has a lot to do with what is in your area! I am lucky enough to have found local sources for grass fed (I actually won't buy grain fed unless it it simply finished on grain) beef.

Same for produce-local is great, but if it's covered in pesticides is it still good? We're a huge apple growing area and I can usually get local apples for cheap. But then I read that non-organic apples are one of the highest pesticide crops-we've been to orchards for school field trips and you can see the thick covering of stuff they put on the apples-they tell us NOT to eat them until they've been thoroughly washed, and to make sure to wash our hands really well. It's sad that you can't pick an apple and eat it off the tree So I buy organic apples that come from across country. Yeah, my organic apples come from Washington (I'm in SC) but I feel bad about it! Why can't one stinking apple orchard around here be organic?? There is some produce, however, that I will choose to buy locally over organic to 1) support the local economy and 2) because most of the nutritional value is going to be gone once it gets to me from across the country and I feel that the small amount of pesticides used (if at all, like we have a strawberry farm around here that only sprays so far into the season) is a compromise for what we are gaining. But like you I go back and forth - it is not a black and white issue! Plus there is also the issue of certified organic (which is a little too lax in many areas IMO) and farmers who use organic like farming methods

It can be such a challenge trying to figure out what's the best choice!
So true!
s/o GMOs - Have you guys ever noticed that there are many companies that will not specifically state that their products are GMO free because there is no way they can guarantee it? For instance Bob's Red Mill says that as well as the company I buy my chicken from. It is sad but true that there is no way to know 100% that what we are eating is organic/GMO free these days because of what can travel over to other crops...

Baker's Bargain Boutique - my little piece of ebay
mari.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #16
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymama1 View Post
subbing this thread.....I want to post more about what I'm doing and read more about what you all are doinjg...but I love the idea of supporting each other...I've been trying to make as much of the switch as I can afford to (hubby is phd student I'm SAHM)....but baby is fussy
- Welcome!

Quote:
I recently got a Costco membership and they have LOTS of organic options. I get my jam (organic strawberry in a glass jar), organic ground beef, organic eggs, organic frozen veggies etc from them for very reasonable prices. I get most of my produce at Meijer though-they're organic fresh produce selection is fantastic! Pretty much they have an organic option for everything they carry. They also carry a lot of local produce.

I shop one big trip at Costco each month and then I do four produce runs at Meijer throughout the month (I menu plan in four week cycles).

Another great resource is Amazon! That's where I get my Celtic sea salt, my organic coconut oil, my raw honey etc. I'm pretty big into Swagbucks so I use my earned gift cards to get it all free-but their prices are good even if you're paying out of pocket. Many of the organic food options have the subscribe and save sign up-where you get an additional 15% off, and you can cancel the subscription at any time with a click of a button

For my garden-I'm going to do a container garden starting out, and I'm going to get plants from the farmers market when they open on May 1 (have it written down on my planner ). Since it's my first year I don't want to try seeds-that's too daunting lol!

Oh-I also get my organic, cold pressed, extra virgin olive oil at Costco
And a jam alternative that I do sometimes is make apple butter in my crock pot! It's like an apple jam and VERY good! I need to make some more because we're almost out of my last batch.
- I am going to have to check out BJ's a bit more for produce. There is a Costco about an hour north of here but I would rather stick a bit closer to home. I should try the apple butter in my crock. How do you store it?

Quote:

Welcome! Sounds like you are doing great! What kind of wheat do you get? Or where is a good place to get it?

Quote:
This is what I get for Celtic sea salt
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...uct/B000SWTE02
and this is what I get for coconut oil
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...uct/B001EO5Q64
and here's the raw honey I got (sooooo good!)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...uct/B00014JNI0
and-here's the aluminum free baking powder I recently got
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...uct/B000ED7MIG
The honey says organic and not raw. I have the choice of raw or creamed honey from where I can get my milk. Which do you think is better?http://www.yourfamilycow.com/food-list.html (if you want to see what I am talking about).

How do you store coconut oil? Will it go rancid quickly?

http://nourishedkitchen.com/shop-nou...hy-meal-plans/ Did anyone notice this in one of the prior links? I am debating getting it for a month just to see. Right now we use e-mealz and DH is a bit scared to leave it.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #17
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the feedback

Someone on here mentioned Azure Standard, they don't deliver in my area so I'm going to check out shipping, some stuff might be cheaper with them even with shipping compared to Amazon.

I am looking in to buying a share of the cows, that's how it would work. They're not super close to me but it's the only thing I've found. Illegal in nearby states as well (I'm in TN). I am currently breastfeeding dd but would like to cut down some after she turns 1 and I'm at a loss for what for her to drink...
lecialefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:01 PM   #18
tiffybear01
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hey ladies! Ever since I watched food Inc I'm on a mission to change our eating habits as well. I went shopping the other day and I just couldn't believe how ,much food has in it. So that is my first thing, trying to get the hfcs out of our house. Dh does have a coke addiction though (that sounds terrible lol) so that one will have to come slowly. Then I'd love to try to get all the gmos out of our house as well. I so grow my own veggies during the spring and summer and I'm going to try to learn how to can. I would love to find a local meat "farmer". Our farmers market opens in april, so I'm going to actually check that out this year. It's so far from where I live, I've just never been.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #19
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Quote:
Personally, I like that for using as a beauty product but it makes everything you cook have a faint coconut taste. I love Tropical Traditions coconut oil!

While certainly better than white sugar (no GMOs), keep in mind that raw sugar is not actually raw. I buy organic sucanat (which I was actually going to link to on Amazon but felt bad because the prices have sky rocketed!).

s/o GMOs - Have you guys ever noticed that there are many companies that will not specifically state that their products are GMO free because there is no way they can guarantee it? For instance Bob's Red Mill says that as well as the company I buy my chicken from. It is sad but true that there is no way to know 100% that what we are eating is organic/GMO free these days because of what can travel over to other crops...
Please give the link anyways-I may be able to save up gift cards to get it I can't find it IRL so I'm going to have to start ordering it online if I make the switch.

I forgot to multi-quote but the honey I buy is unheated and unfiltered, as well as organic (which I don't know how that's quite possible but I'll go with it lol!), so I think that means it's raw It's actually in a solid form-like a hard butter. I try to use it in things that don't require heating, because then it wouldn't be raw anymore-but it's fantastic in smoothies, added to oatmeal etc. And pp-my apples come from Washington too lol! We're probably buying the same ones

One of my big goals is to get involved with the local farmers markets this summer. I did an online search and we actually have several that I've never gone to before. I'm hoping that I'll be able to find local sources for meat, produce, honey, as well as starter plants for my container garden. We live in a big farming community so there's got to be at least a few farmers who are doing what I'm looking for

Last edited by myfrugalfunlife; 03-05-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:29 PM   #20
photocat
Registered Users

We do NT here too, nobody around me IRL seems to know anything about it though and my MIL still insists on using margarine, blerk. I think price is an issue for many people, because eating this way is def' more expensive for us. We don't have GMOs (yet....) or hfcs so at least those are out of the equation.

I'm off to the farmer's market this morning: organic vegies, raw milk, grass fed beef, pastured eggs, non-organic but unsprayed fruit (ya gotta take what ya can get!).

Can I give a few book titles and blog links that people may be interested in?

180degreehealth.blogspot - read the link 'all newcomers read this' in the top right hand corner so you can find out a bit about Matt Stone and where he's coming from.

Underground Wellness - This guy does podcasts as well with guest interviews, very interesting.

Living La Vida Low Carb - I go on and off this one, the blog I don't usually check but he does have some really interesting interviews on his podcast show.

Books:
The coconut oil miracle, by Bruce Fife.
Eat fat, lose fat, by Sallon Fallon and Dr Mary Enig

On a tangent....
One of the pp's said something about dh's cholesterol going up when he eats the good stuff. My dh's has done the same thing. I have read varying things on cholesterol and the particle size of the 'bad' cholesterol seems to be an issue...if your 'bad' cholesterol is made up of big fluffy particles, they don't pose a risk, or something along those lines. And the evidence on high cholesterol causing heart disease does not seem to be rock solid. I'm not a chemist, or a researcher, so don't quote me on anything.

Hmmm, sooooo much information around!

photocat is offline   Reply With Quote