Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #31
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nourishing Traditions Support Thread

I've been slow to post, but I've been reading along. I'm on the road to a whole foods diet. I'm just slower on some things than others. I'm too cheap to throw out anything that we already have, so as I run out of things, I find/make replacements that fit with the diet I want my family to have.

So far, I've gotten rid of most HFCS, the exceptions being those condiments that don't get used very often.

No GMO sugar. I now use evaporated cane juice. I now there are healthier options, but with a budget to take into consideration, this is a good compromise for now. Eventually I want to use only Rapadura.

Only whole wheat/grain. I don't soak my grains yet and I'm not sure that I'm going to be doing that any time soon. I've got other more pressing issues.

Strictly limit soy, both because of the GMOs and the negative side effects of consuming unfermented soy. We are still using up some store brand soy sauce and will next purchase an organic version, but that's all (unless something sneaks in).

Free-range eggs. I've got a supplier, just need to get hooked up with him to start buying regularly.

Use coconut oil, olive oil and butter for cooking.

Starting a garden from seed (beginning next week). Hope to plant a lot of veggies and can/freeze them for next winter. Also planning on keeping lettuce and spinach through the winter-I've been reading on winter gardening.

I'm blogging about it. It's slow but steady progress.

Advertisement

2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:35 PM   #32
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, why is cod liver oil good? I hear about it, but I haven't had the time/energy to look it up. I need to request WAP's books at the library. I've read Real Food by Nina Planck and that was a good book (very informative).
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:26 AM   #33
peacefulj
Registered Users
seller

We've faithfully been eating NT type foods for years now. I have been sick so it is hard to keep up with things sometimes (we are SOOO basic), and I'm still learning how to make it "work" on the daily level. We've even had the joy of having our own goats, sheep, chickens, ducks, and geese. (had to take a break recently). Once we got our own goats and my husband was doing the milking he decided goats milk wasn't so bad. He's gone from a diet of pop tarts, cheezits, mac n cheese, and cold cereal (on a budget of $30 per month!) to eating real food in about 5 years. (I've eating well for many more years.) My kids love all the different kinds of (soaked) grains and we do lots of beans as well to save on money. Looking forward to reading everything and sharing when I can.
peacefulj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:03 AM   #34
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

chmom77 - Welcome! I am glad to hear that you have noticed a difference in your health because of this diet. I am also glad to hear that your RE recommended it.

mari.b - Thank you for the information. I will have to do some more research today about it. I did subscribe to that service. It sounds absolutely delicious! I think I am going to use it and supplement it with what we have on hand that we need to eat (if needed).

Mom2ManyBlessings - Welcome! That is great that you have room for cows and chickens. I don't have any room here for any of that and I think that chickens would be against the township ordinances. Not to mention I have a bird phobia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2ManyBlessings View Post
Where does everyone get their Cod Liver Oil? I need a good source...
https://westonaprice.org/cod-liver-o...cs.html#brands This should help you. I personally have Nortic Naturals liquid for DH, me and a different one by them for DS. I like it. It doesn't have that overly fishy taste that my grandmother remembers. However it isn't fermented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2queens&1princenmyhouse View Post
Oh, why is cod liver oil good? I hear about it, but I haven't had the time/energy to look it up. I need to request WAP's books at the library. I've read Real Food by Nina Planck and that was a good book (very informative).
Welcome! https://westonaprice.org/cod-liver-o...nufacture.html This should help you I think. I have been taking it for years based on my RE's (Reproductive Endocrenlogist) recommendation. My oncologist also says it is good, but she didn't let me take it when I was in treatment. It helps with brain development, thinning the blood, and a host of other things. The thinning of the blood is important as I still have my port (implanted device to get IV's and blood draws).

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulj View Post
We've faithfully been eating NT type foods for years now. I have been sick so it is hard to keep up with things sometimes (we are SOOO basic), and I'm still learning how to make it "work" on the daily level. We've even had the joy of having our own goats, sheep, chickens, ducks, and geese. (had to take a break recently). Once we got our own goats and my husband was doing the milking he decided goats milk wasn't so bad. He's gone from a diet of pop tarts, cheezits, mac n cheese, and cold cereal (on a budget of $30 per month!) to eating real food in about 5 years. (I've eating well for many more years.) My kids love all the different kinds of (soaked) grains and we do lots of beans as well to save on money. Looking forward to reading everything and sharing when I can.
- Welcome! I hope you feel better soon. Glad you have made such a dramatic change in the way you eat.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:34 AM   #35
swalker97
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't gotten to read all the posts, but I'm loving this so far. We have really been trying to get rid of all the bad stuff in our house and eat better, but I've been so overwhelmed by all of the information-especially since most of it is anti-animal products. We LOVE meat, cheese, yogurt and milk. I just bought "Nourishing Traditions" for my ipad, but I so wish there was a "quick start guide"! LOL!
This is what we've done so far (any suggestions/advice is GREATLY appreciated):
We get all of our meat from our local CSA (free range, grass fed, etc.)
We get our eggs from our local CSA
We get non-homogenized, low-heat pasteurized mild from our CSA
I'm grinding wheat and making my own bread (but I've been using veg oil)
I've gotten rid of most canned goods (except tomatoes)
I buy mostly fresh veggies, but not always organic

I think that is most of our good efforts for the moment. We still have boxed cereal and pastas (and a bunch of GS cookies right now). Condiments are a big obstacle for me. I try to make as much as I can from scratch, but I do work a fulltime job.
PLEASE help me do better. I am 60lbs overweight and so is DH. I'm tired all the time and feel miserable. I want to look better and NEED to feel better. Still there are seven of us and the food has to TASTE good or I will have a revolt on my hands
Old 03-06-2011, 07:44 AM   #36
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by swalker97 View Post
I haven't gotten to read all the posts, but I'm loving this so far. We have really been trying to get rid of all the bad stuff in our house and eat better, but I've been so overwhelmed by all of the information-especially since most of it is anti-animal products. We LOVE meat, cheese, yogurt and milk. I just bought "Nourishing Traditions" for my ipad, but I so wish there was a "quick start guide"! LOL!

I think that is most of our good efforts for the moment. We still have boxed cereal and pastas (and a bunch of GS cookies right now). Condiments are a big obstacle for me. I try to make as much as I can from scratch, but I do work a fulltime job.
PLEASE help me do better. I am 60lbs overweight and so is DH. I'm tired all the time and feel miserable. I want to look better and NEED to feel better. Still there are seven of us and the food has to TASTE good or I will have a revolt on my hands
you're actually doing really good already I find it easiest to just focus on one thing at a time so it's not too overwhelming. Then after you change/switch one thing/area move onto a different one and then keep repeating. My motto for this whole process is 'small steps that will have a long term, positive impact on our health'.

I also just started running and it's awesome! I haven't exercised in years and I'm so out of shape, but it feels great to get outside (even in the snow lol), and work on improving my health! I started a Couch to 5K support thread down in the healthy living forum if anyone's interested
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:26 AM   #37
babyaurora
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2ManyBlessings View Post
I do sourdough bread for our family, make it myself from Rye and Spelt flour
I would LOVE this recipe if you were willing to share!

Great thread, I just ordered the book. I'd love to follow traditional eating even more closely now that my daughter is getting close to weaning time.

It wouldn't be too huge an adjustment.

I've only drank water for years. Perhaps once every couple months I have a natural rootbeer OH brings home for me, I enjoy that.
Haven't had white bread for years except the odd sourdough.
I buy free range eggs and just found a source for local.
Margarine hasn't passed my lips (ok, maybe on toast in a restaraunt breakfast!) since I was a teenager when my grandma convinced my mom to switch.
Only use EVOO. (Havent cooked with Coconut Oil but I use it on my daughers skin)

OH edited to add... all my beef comes from my friends ranch. Grass fed. I mostly get it for free... my friend rocks!

I have the challenge of living up North.. north of 60. Food is exxpensive and we're limited. There IS an organic produce club I should look into joining now that I'm home all the time. (I used to drive truck long haul and most of it would have gone to waste.) I'd never be able to find raw dairy... but hey I can do what I can, right?

Last edited by babyaurora; 03-06-2011 at 01:39 PM.
babyaurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #38
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by swalker97 View Post

I agree you are doing well already. Here is the closest thing I can find to a quick start guide. http://www.westonaprice.org/abcs-of-...thy-diets.html I would also suggest that you look at that http://nourishedkitchen.com/shop-nou...hy-meal-plans/ I don't work outside the house but this seems like a great way to get started without feeling overwhelmed (that is if you can afford this as there is a cost involved). I imagine I will over time not need this anymore but for right now it seems like a good idea. I also like you can get just one month (which I found a coupon code and got it for just $8) so you can try it. This week is Seafood Gumbo, Lemon Chicken legs, lamb pot roast, broiled shrimp, pickled garlic and bananas foster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyaurora View Post
I would LOVE this recipe if you were willing to share!

Great thread, I just ordered the book. I'd love to follow traditional eating even more closely now that my daughter is getting close to weaning time.

It wouldn't be too huge an adjustment.

I've only drank water for years. Perhaps once every couple months I have a natural rootbeer OH brings home for me, I enjoy that.
Haven't had white bread for years except the odd sourdough.
I buy free range eggs and just found a source for local.
Margarine hasn't passed my lips (ok, maybe on toast in a restaraunt breakfast!) since I was a teenager when my grandma convinced my mom to switch.
Only use EVOO. (Havent cooked with Coconut Oil but I use it on my daughers skin)

I have the challenge of living up North.. north of 60. Food is exxpensive and we're limited. There IS an organic produce club I should look into joining now that I'm home all the time. (I used to drive truck long haul and most of it would have gone to waste.) I'd never be able to find raw dairy... but hey I can do what I can, right?
- Welcome! Sounds like you have been doing good too!

Have you looked at http://www.realmilk.com/where.html to see if you can get raw milk near you? My source is honestly 3 hours away, but they have drop point not too far from me.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #39
babyaurora
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post

Have you looked at http://www.realmilk.com/where.html to see if you can get raw milk near you? My source is honestly 3 hours away, but they have drop point not too far from me.
Yep I looked for curiosty sake... nearest place is a good day and a half to 2 days drive away. There are no dairy farms up here.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #40
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyaurora View Post
Yep I looked for curiosty sake... nearest place is a good day and a half to 2 days drive away. There are no dairy farms up here.
That stinks. Do you know what native people in that area ate traditionally? Maybe there is a good substitute for you.