Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-07-2007, 02:16 PM   #1
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:
Exclamation Newbie BF? Help please!!

Hi mamas!! I am out visiting my SIL and she's having a few issues/questions that I can't answer. Please help us out!!

First it seems she is not producing enough milk. What foods/supplements can she take to increase milk production?

Secondly, she is pumping to express a bottle for a mid night feeding. Right now she is puming after each feeding but only getting lik 1/8 of an ounce. It takes all day to get 1 bottle. Is there a certain time or way to pump to get more out?

Any breastfeeding help is much appreciated.

Advertisement

Old 06-07-2007, 02:37 PM   #2
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

Re: Newbie BF? Help please!!

how old is baby? why does she think she doesnt have enough milk??

best way to increase production is to nurse in the middle of teh night. thats when prolactin levels are at their highest. Sorry

pumping 1/8 of an oz AFTER a nursing session is great. if she keeps it up, she will eventually make more milk- it can take a few weeks of doing this though.
Mamma to the best dd 10/05 and Expecting #2 edd 11/29/09 and 2 furkids!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:44 PM   #3
graciebell
Registered Users

My Mood:

Fenugreek helps my milk production, but I know some mamas don't like taking it, so I would check with her doctor/midwife. Oatmeal helps as well, as well as Brewer's Yeast (you can get it at a health food store).

I've made these cookies as well, and they do help. Plus, it is always a good excuse for a cookie! Igot it off of the LLL website.

Housepoet's Famous Lactation Boosting Oatmeal, Chocolate Chip & Flaxseed cookies (created by Noel Pickett noel@clubmuse.com)
Ingredients :

* 1 cup butter or marg
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 cup brown sugar
* 4 tablespoons water
* 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal*
* 2 large eggs
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 2 cups flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 3 cups oats, thick cut if you can get them
* 1 cup or more chocolate chips
* 2 tablespoons of brewers yeast* (be generous)

Directions:

Preheat oven at 375 degrees F. Mix together 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal and water, set aside for 3-5 minutes. Cream (beat well) margarine and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mix well. Stir flaxseed mixture and add with vanilla to the margarine mix. Beat until blended. Sift together dry ingredients, except oats and chips. Add to margarine mixture. Stir in oats then chips. Scoop or drop onto baking sheet, preferably lined with parchment or silpat. The dough is a little crumbly, so it helps to use a scoop.

Bake 8-12 minutes, depending on size of cookies.

Serves: 6 dozen cookies

Preparation time: 15 minutes

*can be found at any local health food store.

SAHM to Claire who is almost 3! and Vincent who is getting bigger by the minute! (7-21-09)
graciebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:18 PM   #4
Priscella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had to pump at work, so I ate oatmeal everyday and drank alot of water. Those are good things to do w/ pumping.

But somepeople just don't pump good. What kind of pump is she using? I have tried manual breastpumps and I couldn't hardly get anything out, but some one do awesome w/ them.

Why does she think she isn't producing enough? Best way to tell is to make sure baby has enough wet diapers. Just becuase your breast don't feel full, does not mean don't have enough milk in them.

And like the other mama said, during the night, and early morning your breast are at your fullest and towards the end of the day your breast will feel as though nothing is in them ( but there is).

And nursing is the best way to make more milk a pump can not duplicate that. For example, my son can get a good 6oz out of one breast, but pumping I will only get about 3oz. The more the nipples are stimulate the more milk you will produce.
Doula and CBE In Training (CBI)
Priscella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:37 PM   #5
alysia101
Registered Users
seller

First of all, if she nurses and then can pump ANY at all the baby it prob getting enough. If I pump after I nurse I only get a few drops.

The only way I can get a significant amount of milk pumped is if I wake up in the middle of the night in between her long stretch.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:42 PM   #6
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

FYI, the milk a mom makes at night is actually different than milk she makes during the day, so it is important that the baby actually gets that night-time milk (as opposed to milk pumped during the day to be used at night). THere are more fats that promote brain development (which happens when you are asleep) and also helps promote restful sleep. Obviously the occasional pumped daytime bottle used at night isn't a big deal, but if she continues NOT nursing at night (even if baby IS eating at night), her supply will decrease, even w/ pumping. As pp said, a baby is waaaaay better at getting milk out than a pump. That being said, the best time of day to pump is early morning and also, she will get more if she pumps one breast while nursing off the other (the baby stimulates a let-down much better than a pump). I used to get twice as much that way.

Also, how old is baby, and why does she think she doesn't have enough milk (this is a common misconception for new moms)?
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 08:45 PM   #7
crystalkicks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That being said, the best time of day to pump is early morning and also, she will get more if she pumps one breast while nursing off the other (the baby stimulates a let-down much better than a pump). I used to get twice as much that way.

Thats what I did!!
Old 06-07-2007, 09:17 PM   #8
meowmixx3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowingUpMad View Post
Hi mamas!! I am out visiting my SIL and she's having a few issues/questions that I can't answer. Please help us out!!

First it seems she is not producing enough milk. What foods/supplements can she take to increase milk production?

Secondly, she is pumping to express a bottle for a mid night feeding. Right now she is puming after each feeding but only getting lik 1/8 of an ounce. It takes all day to get 1 bottle. Is there a certain time or way to pump to get more out?

Any breastfeeding help is much appreciated.

Ok as long as the baby has enough wet and poopy diapers he/she is fine. Secondly , as far as pumps go no pump will ever be as efficient as your baby; so it is normal not to pump out full bottles and depending on what she has it might be the issue as well.

Lastly, fenugreek 3 capsules 3x a day and blessed thistle 3 capsules 3x a day will do the trick. When you smell like syrup you are all good.

Oh and have her contact her local La Leche League you can call a leader any time of the day and get answers. i get calls and emails all the time and I don't mind; so don't hestitate to contact one in your area . Hope this helps!

http://www.lalecheleague.org/
meowmixx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:13 AM   #9
mommy21princess
Registered Users
seller

I agree with all that's been said and I am still wondering WHY she thinks baby isn't getting enough? I think that's a major misconception for a lot of new mommas. Babies LOVE/NEED to suck/nurse. Sometimes they are just sucking for comfort but most need to be fed at least every 2 hours maybe 3 unless in the middle of then night and a lot need to be nursed more often than that. I would def. start making a chart of diapers so you can REALLY count how many each day. I know I would be scared that my dd wasnt' getting enough and then I would start REALLY counting her diapers and she had plenty. That's the BEST way to find out if there are real problems or if you're just being a paranoid new mommy! LOL I'm sure everythings fine especially if she can still get that much out AFTER a feed. Let us know how things are going!