Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #121
emhammer0506
Registered Users

Re: Nourishing Traditions Support Thread

Sounds like you are doing very good on your own. I JUST got the book and it is full of information that you may or may not have already read. It it certainly interesting though. It is over 600 pages and the first 71 pages just talk about the philosophies and such. And that has 7 pages of references! So it is quite informative.

Yep - I may just get it - just don't have time to read 600 pages right now.. My two kiddies keep me pretty busy.. We'll see - once I can get into a better routine..

Advertisement

Evelyn - Wife to the best hubby (05/06/05).., Mommy to H (8/4/08) with SPD - sensory seeker and S(12/7/10) with SPD - tactile defensive & possibly sensory seeker! We are a , donated breastmilk , , non-vaxing:, ing, non-circ family!!!
emhammer0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:17 PM   #122
comom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Joining the group. I learned about NT last summer while hosting a CSA pickup site. Little did I know that I had been incorporating NT ideas for about 2 years prior.

Thanks to Farm Mom we had water keifer last night. It was tasty! Made grape juice flavor.

I am in the Denver area and would be happy to pass along references for where to buy local food.

Tonight for supper is liver and onion cooked in ghee. We use ghee (http://www.purityfarms.com/) coconut oil (nutiva) and cold pressed oil olive (from here: http://www.chaffinfamilyorchards.com/).

I like to shop http://www.vitacost.com/.

Looking forward to sharing information with everyone!
comom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #123
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by willownz View Post
Have you tried this one http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/20...-at-long-last/
I don't follow NT as such but we are Real Foodies. Most of it comes easy for me as all home cooking is pretty much still the norm here and all our meat is grass fed, we don't have a corn industry at all so no HFCS either. We don't have real milk but we have nothing low fat and use butter. We have Nordic Naturals for our CLO as Omega 3&6&9 are so important for immunity and brain function and the right balance is the key. I have started a Nutrition Degree and everything I follow and believe is so not what they teach at all.
There is a blog for Natural Fertility using traditional foods
http://www.naturallyknockedup.com/
I will try it in the next day or so. Thanks!
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:29 PM   #124
nighty-night mama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2ManyBlessings View Post
Where does everyone get their Cod Liver Oil? I need a good source...
Sorry if this is late but this is where NT suggests, and I agree! The pricing is fair and best of all you can get the butter/cod liver oil in capsules, so no yucky taste! Though my kids seems to be okay with the orange gel.

http://www.greenpasture.org/public/Home/index.cfm
nighty-night mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #125
nighty-night mama
Registered Users
seller

will be back later for my intro but I noticed no one posted this link, and I think it's one of the best other then the Weston A price foundation

http://gnowfglins.com/
nighty-night mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #126
Farm_Mama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by comom View Post
Thanks to Farm Mom we had water keifer last night. It was tasty! Made grape juice flavor.
Yay! I'm so glad you like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighty-night mama View Post
will be back later for my intro but I noticed no one posted this link, and I think it's one of the best other then the Weston A price foundation

http://gnowfglins.com/

Oh for sure, I totally forgot about that one.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:49 PM   #127
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfrugalfunlife View Post
There's so many things we can do that will have a positive effect on our health
I had to go all the way back to page one and find this quote because I loved it. This thread is just so encouraging. I liked how she said this quote rather than being overwhelmed with all there is to learn and change. I totally get overwhelmed with it at times.

We have come a long way, probably since having my first DD 5 years ago. That's what really pushed me towards eating better. I realized that *I* am responsible for everything that goes into my child's mouth! That was a big realization, lol.

I grind my own flour, using whole grains for everything. (White wheat is a great place to start, its still whole wheat but tastes lighter.)

We've switched to brown rice pasta recently. (reg pasta is not whole grain and we didn't care for a heavy wheat tasting pasta, but brown rice pasta works)

I've learned to make my own of lots of things. This allows me to cut out the HFCS and junk that are in so many things at the stores. Granola bars, etc, I make at home.

I just started making kefir this week! I'm using it for smoothies, and for soaking grains, something I'm just starting to do as well.

We did a CSA year before last and I just wasn't quite sure what to do with the weird veggies we got, lol. I want to try again this summer, but we're moving and I'm not sure exactly where yet so I'm bummed about that.

I want real milk and real eggs and real meat from a farm, but we haven't been able to afford that yet either.

I don't know what else... its definitely a process! Nice to have people to chat with about it all.
Christy - breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural living, homeschooling, homebirthing, stay at home mama to Lucy (9), Julia (7), Esther (4), Isaac (2), and Baby in Oct my blog about healthy living and mothering
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #128
Mom2ManyBlessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

So I made kimchi, ginger carrots, chicken stock, sourdough today...boiled eggs to have on hand, started ginger beer. Oh and grocery shopping to 4 stores and made roast chicken + rice pillaf for dinner. I still need to make a big batch of basic brown rice, mexican black bean salad and hummus for the week. Glad most everything is done, I'm tired!
Mom2ManyBlessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #129
Mom2ManyBlessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Farm Mama - Do you have any more keifer grains yo share?? my raw milk isn't totally reliable so when its not I need keifer (milk) to restore some low temp pasterized milk back for DS's formula
Mom2ManyBlessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:22 PM   #130
Farm_Mama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2ManyBlessings View Post
Farm Mama - Do you have any more keifer grains yo share?? my raw milk isn't totally reliable so when its not I need keifer (milk) to restore some low temp pasterized milk back for DS's formula
My milk kefir grain supply is low right now as I just sent my extra out today. The milk kefir grains seem to multiply much more slowly, so it will likely be a couple weeks until I can share them again.

Does anyone else have any extra right now?