Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 10:04 PM   #21
brittneyscott06
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 191
Re: Need some delivery thoughts - protecting perinium at all costs!

Yikes that's a tough spot to be in. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. Personally I would consider the epidural in this case. My reason is if it could help relax you and make things easier great but like a pp mentioned if you end up having/needing to go for the section then you already have medication and will make things easier to transition to. I know it's not ideal but I think under the circumstances this is what I would do. I'd talk to the doctor as well about ways to possibly treat or help the varicose vein prenatally. Maybe something can help reduce the risks for you. Talk to her about the options for medication and ways to relax if that will help the labor progress easier and find out what would be necessary and how things would go in case of a section transfer. I'd also talk to the doctor (again if you already have) about what I want for the birth and after care to try to get things as close to what you wanted and make sure that the important to you things are still going to happen if possible.

Advertisement

brittneyscott06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:10 AM   #22
Mirasmom's Avatar
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: KC, MO
Posts: 5,705
My Mood:
Re: Need some delivery thoughts - protecting perinium at all costs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4niachef View Post
Are you aware of the benefits of water birth, for both mother and baby?
I think it's weird that they don't allow it. You are quite judgemental.
__________________
*~Hillary~*
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:12 AM   #23
Mirasmom's Avatar
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: KC, MO
Posts: 5,705
My Mood:
Re: Need some delivery thoughts - protecting perinium at all costs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4niachef View Post
Oh goodness, seriously? I'm pretty sure the OP is intelligent enough to do her own research on the alternative methods I mentioned that I'm using to treat my own varicose vein to see if they are suitable for her.

Perhaps it would be more PC if I told her just to follow her providers misinformed advice at all cost and not do any research of her own.
Talking to YOU, us, and other people is NOT doing RESEARCH. GAH! Why do people think they know everything?! She should definitely look into alternative methods in reducing/fixing the vein, but you don't know everything OP, and trying to make her feel like she's seeing an incompetent provider, someone she has placed her trust in and NOT lightly, isn't helpful. Sheesh!
__________________
*~Hillary~*
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:38 AM   #24
cali4niachef's Avatar
cali4niachef
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delaware
Posts: 559
My Mood:
Re: Need some delivery thoughts - protecting perinium at all costs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirasmom View Post
I think it's weird that they don't allow it. You are quite judgemental.
I simply asked if you knew of the benefits, there was no judgment at all. Im confused how it was misconstrued as "judgment".
__________________
Herbalist, Doula, Photographer, Coffee Addict
Herbal Teas, Salves, Dairy Diva, Dairy Fairy, Placenta Encapsulation Kits!
EUPHORICHERBALS.COM
EUPHORICBIRTH.COM
cali4niachef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:48 AM   #25
cali4niachef's Avatar
cali4niachef
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Delaware
Posts: 559
My Mood:
Re: Need some delivery thoughts - protecting perinium at all costs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirasmom View Post
Talking to YOU, us, and other people is NOT doing RESEARCH. GAH! Why do people think they know everything?! She should definitely look into alternative methods in reducing/fixing the vein, but you don't know everything OP, and trying to make her feel like she's seeing an incompetent provider, someone she has placed her trust in and NOT lightly, isn't helpful. Sheesh!
I never ever said I know everything. I would never say having done proper research equates to asking questions on a pregnancy board. To mean it means looking at medical texts, medical websites, actual research and studies.

I didnt say her provider is incompetent but the advice given IS questionable. I really dont think we can rely on our providers 100% and assume they always have our best interest, regardless of provider - including homebirth midwives(I say this as a student midwife). We have to be accountable and take ownership for our pregnancies and births. I have a homebirth midwife and I trust her but even with information she gives me I will still do my own research to ensure I am being given evidence-based information.

I completely trusted (birth center) midwives during my first pregnancy and it ended up landing me in the hospital with an unnecessary induction. I didnt bother to do research when they told me I had to do to be induced ASAP for low AFI's(3.6cm @ 41wks), I mean after all they are midwives and they would never misguide me right? Wrong. They didnt give me all the information so that I could make an informed and educated decision. If they had, they would've told me that AFI's vary depending on fetal position, fetal urine output, u/s tech that does the u/s, that I could orally hydrate and have my AFi's rechecked in 24hrs and most importantly that inducing for low AFI's does not improve fetal out comes.

We have every right and responsibility to question our providers, the information they give us and if they truly do have our best interest in mind or if they are more concerned about litigation.
__________________
Herbalist, Doula, Photographer, Coffee Addict
Herbal Teas, Salves, Dairy Diva, Dairy Fairy, Placenta Encapsulation Kits!
EUPHORICHERBALS.COM
EUPHORICBIRTH.COM
cali4niachef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:00 AM   #26
Mirasmom's Avatar
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: KC, MO
Posts: 5,705
My Mood:
Re: Need some delivery thoughts - protecting perinium at all costs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4niachef View Post
I never ever said I know everything. I would never say having done proper research equates to asking questions on a pregnancy board. To mean it means looking at medical texts, medical websites, actual research and studies.

I didnt say her provider is incompetent but the advice given IS questionable. I really dont think we can rely on our providers 100% and assume they always have our best interest, regardless of provider - including homebirth midwives(I say this as a student midwife). We have to be accountable and take ownership for our pregnancies and births. I have a homebirth midwife and I trust her but even with information she gives me I will still do my own research to ensure I am being given evidence-based information.

I completely trusted (birth center) midwives during my first pregnancy and it ended up landing me in the hospital with an unnecessary induction. I didnt bother to do research when they told me I had to do to be induced ASAP for low AFI's(3.6cm @ 41wks), I mean after all they are midwives and they would never misguide me right? Wrong. They didnt give me all the information so that I could make an informed and educated decision. If they had, they would've told me that AFI's vary depending on fetal position, fetal urine output, u/s tech that does the u/s, that I could orally hydrate and have my AFi's rechecked in 24hrs and most importantly that inducing for low AFI's does not improve fetal out comes.

We have every right and responsibility to question our providers, the information they give us and if they truly do have our best interest in mind or if they are more concerned about litigation.

I get where you're coming from, but I do think there might have been a better way to say it. The OP is obviously worried and upset- you might have just said- "Maybe talk to your MW about other options and if she knows of natural ways to combat this such as:...." Rather than just outwardly questioning her knowledge and abilities. I completely trust my doctor- 100%- but that doesn't mean that I'm not going to look things up on my own...and included in that trust is me knowing that when I research something or feel that something might not be right, she is going to listen to me when I have ideas and concerns and take them seriously. I believe that fully trusting your provider goes both ways- they have to trust you as well. If you don't believe something they say or don't trust their judgement, then I'm not sure how you can be comfortable with letting them deliver your child. I also think that feeling that your provider is more concerned with litigation than with YOU and your baby is a problem....maybe you should look for someone else....I don't feel that questioning them is considered not trusting them. Maybe they are just faced with a situation they haven't been faced with and you can figure it out together. I don't consider this a problem.....I am a health care provider and I certainly don't EVER think that I could know everything about my specialty. It's not possible nor is it reasonable for us to think that it is... The true mark of a good provider is the willingness to listen and to do their own research when something new comes up. You can know a lot, but there are always going to be new situations and new things that happen that haven't happened before....and there are going to be things that come up that there aren't adequate research for. It's the nature of health care. Everything was "ground breaking" at one point or another
__________________
*~Hillary~*
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:18 AM   #27
songbird516's Avatar
songbird516
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,164
My Mood:
Re: Need some delivery thoughts - protecting perinium at all costs!

As we were recently reminded at a communication seminar at work...

written words don't have a 'tone' because they're written! So everyone just remember that it's easy to put feeling into someone else's words that aren't really there. The OP asked a question, and people are answering it with their opinions and personal history. I'm sure that the OP can work through them on her own.

Just something to remember...
__________________
Sara- mommy to Claire (01/10) and Micah (3/12) and someone new (10/14)
Birth doula and life-long student of Everything! Need a doula in the central VA area? Let's talk! www.beyondbirthsupport.com
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #28
smblake's Avatar
smblake
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mountain West
Posts: 6,153
My Mood:
Re: Need some delivery thoughts - protecting perinium at all costs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
As we were recently reminded at a communication seminar at work...

written words don't have a 'tone' because they're written! So everyone just remember that it's easy to put feeling into someone else's words that aren't really there. The OP asked a question, and people are answering it with their opinions and personal history. I'm sure that the OP can work through them on her own.

Just something to remember...
While that may be true in thought, I don't believe that - we are people and just because we aren't "saying" the words does not mean that we don't have intentions and feelings behind them. If that were the case, most of the conversations on DS or any written forum for that matter would be quite boring.

I'm sorry, but I just can't feel like that person;s response to me had NO emotions, even if it didn't, you still have to be careful... they were directed at me in a very condescending way.
__________________
Melissa
Wife
Mama to 4 kiddos
5 angels in my heart always
smblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:57 AM   #29
smblake's Avatar
smblake
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mountain West
Posts: 6,153
My Mood:
Re: Need some delivery thoughts - protecting perinium at all costs!

Megan, sorry about the all the drama and hijacking in the thread

Back to your regularly scheduled programming
__________________
Melissa
Wife
Mama to 4 kiddos
5 angels in my heart always
smblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.