Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-10-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
whitejerabias
Registered Users
seller

Did you give your older child a special doll when baby was born?

I've heard lots of people talk of doing this. Even posing it as the baby giving their older sibling the doll. So, I've started making DD (3.5) a waldorf style doll that I will bring to the hospital with me and lay in the bassinet with baby when she comes in.

What kind of doll did you give? Any pics? I'm wondering what style I should make. A 'regular' baby doll that can be dressed and 'diapered', a bunting style doll that has the rounded bottom and no legs, weighted or not, something completely different?

Advertisement

whitejerabias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
Sonic7273
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
This just happened to us naturally. As my pregnancy progressed, my 2.5 yr old son took an interest in his "baby" (a glowworm lol). He sleeps with it and likes to put it under his shirt (like mummy's belly) and he asks to carry it on his back wrapped. It's really cute
Sonic7273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
Casie629
Registered Users
seller

I gave my son (turned 2 a few days after ds2 was born) a baby Elmo doll. It came with a diaper and I have made a couple and bought a couple Rumparooz doll dipes for it. I would make it so it can be diapered just so you can buy the adorable RaR ones, lol. Really though, kids love to mimic what you do. I made the doll diapers because my son and a girl I babysat would pull out the baby's cloth dipes to use on baby Elmo and the other child's doll.

You could even make or buy some dipes and make a small diaper bag.
Casie629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
Ten
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Did you give your older child a special doll when baby was born?

For what it's worth, I was 3.5 years old when my brother was born. My parents gave me a Light Bright "from" the baby. I wasn't big on dolls... but oh, man, that Light Bright was the best thing ever!

Of course, that was 30 years ago....

*TTC a sticky baby since Jan '15. Hoping DD1 returns to us!*
"Death can't stop True Love - it can only delay it for a while." - The Princess Bride
Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:10 AM   #5
ThreadsThatBind
Registered Users
Formerly: Lucy'sMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wasn't going too because dd has so many dolls already. But then those tester slots opened up and I couldn't resist! The thread (with pics and details) is the in wahm tester forum. I ordered dd a baby with her hair, skin, and eyes (a hard combo to find in stores). It also sucks it's thumb and a pacifier and fits preemie clothes. I've been keeping my eyes open in the clearance and picked up a few outfits for her already. I've got my fingers crossed she arrives in the mail before her baby sister is born; it's gonna be close! lol

She loves taking care of her babies. I'm going to make some diapers, wipes, and mei tai for her too. I'm hoping to include her in the baby care and give her that "special big sister" feeling instead of jealousy of the new baby. Hopefully it works!!
Old 03-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #6
whitejerabias
Registered Users
seller

Oh, that was a baad thread to tell me about, LOL. Those dolls are adorable. I hope she loves her little baby. When are you due? I am due in two weeks so I son't know that I want to risk having someone else make a doll at this point.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:38 PM   #7
Sally's Red Meadow
Registered Users
josycat
seller

My Mood:

We gave our boy a baby doll to have as his baby while I was pg with dd but he had been asking for his own baby for a few weeks before I actually found one. He would feed it and put it down for a nap and evn carry it the right way all before dd was born. It was great. After dd was born I would ask him if his baby needed him when I was busy with dd. He would love to run and get his baby. he even showed it off to dd.
Sally's Red Meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #8
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

Last time we gave my oldest a big sister bracelet. This time we aren't sure. We have thought about a doll for each but they both already have waldorf dolls that they love.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:32 PM   #9
Buena
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
When I had ds dd was 2 and into carebears. So from baby she got the white anniversay best. She is almost 6 and knows it was from him and loves it's. This time baby is bringing ds a watch( he has wanted one forever) and he is 3 and dd is getting a key necklace , something she has wanted. They r packed in my hospital bag alreadu
Old 03-15-2011, 09:19 PM   #10
whitejerabias
Registered Users
seller

Hmm. I didn't think of baby giving her a different gift. That might be a better idea, DD would know they weren't really from baby and that I made them.