Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-16-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Impacted Wisom tooth....HELP!!! Updated

UPDATE
Well I just got back from the dentist and I have to get the tooth taken out tomorrow It is impacted and needs removed ASAP. I am very nervous since I can't have the gas or anything super heavy as far as pain meds because I am pregnant. I guess I just have to deal with it.

I am about 99% sure I have an impacted widom tooth. It broke through the gums a little over a year ago and still has not completely come in. For the last month or so I have been having pain here and there around the tooth but now for the last 2-3 days I am in complete agony. My entire jaw hurts on that side, I have extreme pain around the tooth, a terrible headache and neck stiffness. I am trying to get in to see a dentist because I suspect it very well may be infected but for the mean time is there anything I can do for the pain? My OB is at lunch right now : (

So far I have been taking tylenol (doesn't even touch the pain)
I have been alternating hot and cold packs

I just don't know what to do!!!! I keep like complete crap and I can't even get any sleep because of the pain.

Advertisement

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers

Last edited by Fashionably Green Baby; 03-16-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
gigismomma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Impacted Wisom tooth....HELP!!! Updated

poor thing!
Tooth pain is AWFUL! I am glad you are taking care of it, though. My OB has always told me that having uncontrolled tooth issues are worse for your baby than any procedure that you need to go through. It is too bad you can't have the ultimate in pain management, but you will get through it. Whatever pain you have to go through sure beats the chronic, nagging pain that you are dealing with now (and it would only get worse!)
Good luck, mama!
gigismomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Tooth pain is the worst! I hope your appointment goes well tomorrow!
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Impacted is the term we use when we describe a tooth that hasn't erupted (above the gums) yet. Do not use the gas...it is very bad for a fetus's neurological development. For the pain, percocets *can* be taken, but nothing is as safe as tylenol. It isnt a good thing to be suffering in a lot of pain, as that causes an increase in stress hormones, increased blood pressure, etc. You said you can't sleep - that has a terrible effect on your health too! Please let your dentist or doctor know if you are in a lot of pain and insist that you get something for the pain (if you really need it). Most doctors think its ok to allow women to be in lots of pain when they are pregnant... that is NOT healthy or safe either! I mean look at all the stress you are in now just thinking about it!

eta: the issue is that doctors/dentists are looking to cover their own behind. They dont want to prescribe you anything, incase *something* happens. I had one doctor who wouldnt even refill my prescription for my asthma inhaler when I was pregnant! I thought death from suffocation would be worse than the potential side effects!

Last edited by *Peanut*; 03-16-2011 at 04:57 PM.
*Peanut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #5
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for that info!
I definitely know about no gas. I am stressed because the shots that they use don't work particularly well on me (not even for a simple filling) and I am just scared as to how bad it is going to hurt. I know it has to be done but it is still scary. Also they said I could only have vicodin and that doesn't hardly take the edge off of the pain I am currently in so I worry about how it will help for the after surgery pain. I wish I did not have to get it done while pregnant since I worry about the baby and how safe it all is but I know it has to be done. I am just gonna shut down my store and rent some movies and know that 2 weeks of pain is better than dealing with the pain I am already in for the next 4 months (until baby is born). I have my ice packs lined up ready to go and hopefully that will help a bit with the pain...
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Peanut* View Post
Impacted is the term we use when we describe a tooth that hasn't erupted (above the gums) yet. Do not use the gas...it is very bad for a fetus's neurological development. For the pain, percocets *can* be taken, but nothing is as safe as tylenol. It isnt a good thing to be suffering in a lot of pain, as that causes an increase in stress hormones, increased blood pressure, etc. You said you can't sleep - that has a terrible effect on your health too! Please let your dentist or doctor know if you are in a lot of pain and insist that you get something for the pain (if you really need it). Most doctors think its ok to allow women to be in lots of pain when they are pregnant... that is NOT healthy or safe either! I mean look at all the stress you are in now just thinking about it!

eta: the issue is that doctors/dentists are looking to cover their own behind. They dont want to prescribe you anything, incase *something* happens. I had one doctor who wouldnt even refill my prescription for my asthma inhaler when I was pregnant! I thought death from suffocation would be worse than the potential side effects!

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:36 PM   #6
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

I could have sworn that percocets are supposedly safer and used more often.

You might actually feel some relief after the tooth is out. I hope so! I had 2 wisdom teeth out that were completely under the bone. They also severed a nerve during the extraction. I felt fine in 3 days.