Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-26-2011, 08:17 PM   #201
CappyNnon
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: "Bottomfeeders"--huh? What's this mean to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
P.S.- I let my boys watch the Shrek movies. They especially like Shrek the Third and quote it all the time. They watch tons of movies. I'm so moving further down the ladder. Time to add more rungs to the bottom! Hey I'm just trying to live up to my label though of not having good, trained and obedient children because I so love it when I'm at the store and someone tells me if only I'd spank them that would solve all my problems. Yup, hello bottom of the ladder!
That's my favorite. Last time I was told that I asked if it cured sensory processing issues and received the most entertaining look in reply.

I think I moved a rung up the ladder this evening for babywearing around the house, but had to move back down when I dropped some of my Taco Bell dinner on my daughter's head.

Advertisement

We had our 2 and we're through.
CappyNnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #202
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

We watch tons of movies, too. We don't watch many TV shows, but a lot of movies. As a kid some of my best memories were watching movies with my dad. So we do that with our kids. As my kids get older, I get less picky about content. I'm not too hung up on abstract violence, but we're careful about inappropriate sexuality. Like, my kids loved the Prince of Persia and the new Karate Kid that we watched recently.

We do watch a fair amount of educational TV. Right now we're really in to Geology, so we watch a lot of shows on geology, astronomy, and the kids are interested in myths so we watch shows about various cultures and their beliefs. Although I think this backfired on me because my oldest told me that "all that Jesus stuff is just a myth anyway." and she doesn't believe anything she can't see. Sigh.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:40 AM   #203
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CappyNnon View Post
That's my favorite. Last time I was told that I asked if it cured sensory processing issues and received the most entertaining look in reply.

I think I moved a rung up the ladder this evening for babywearing around the house, but had to move back down when I dropped some of my Taco Bell dinner on my daughter's head.
Oh yeah, my oldest is SPD [and we're suspecting something else as well maybe on the ASD spectrum] and I swear I have some family and strangers think that it's really a discipline issue and doctor's just make that stuff up because parents won't be parents anymore!!It makes me very sad that people, with all we know now and are continuing to learn, still believe things like that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees View Post
We watch tons of movies, too. We don't watch many TV shows, but a lot of movies. As a kid some of my best memories were watching movies with my dad. So we do that with our kids. As my kids get older, I get less picky about content. I'm not too hung up on abstract violence, but we're careful about inappropriate sexuality. Like, my kids loved the Prince of Persia and the new Karate Kid that we watched recently.

We do watch a fair amount of educational TV. Right now we're really in to Geology, so we watch a lot of shows on geology, astronomy, and the kids are interested in myths so we watch shows about various cultures and their beliefs. Although I think this backfired on me because my oldest told me that "all that Jesus stuff is just a myth anyway." and she doesn't believe anything she can't see. Sigh.
It's a tough journey. We personally raise our children in our faith [which is in Christ] but I know they have to make their own choice about it and I often wonder what they will start asking and end up believing. You sound a lot like me in how you raise/view your children. Firm in your own beliefs but open to sharing with them about the rest of the world
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:37 AM   #204
tamarag
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourpatch_babe View Post
You should've done this
Old 03-27-2011, 10:14 AM   #205
jc12551
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Oh yeah, my oldest is SPD [and we're suspecting something else as well maybe on the ASD spectrum] and I swear I have some family and strangers think that it's really a discipline issue and doctor's just make that stuff up because parents won't be parents anymore!!It makes me very sad that people, with all we know now and are continuing to learn, still believe things like that

It's a tough journey. We personally raise our children in our faith [which is in Christ] but I know they have to make their own choice about it and I often wonder what they will start asking and end up believing. You sound a lot like me in how you raise/view your children. Firm in your own beliefs but open to sharing with them about the rest of the world
If that was the case, then my uncle who is in his 50's, wouldn't have Austism, right? He was classified as mentally handicapped by social security until three years ago. After his mom died he was evaluated again so he could find housing. His new diagnosis is autism. The only person not surprised was me (I had been saying it for years).
Old 03-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #206
CappyNnon
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:

Apparently my son isn't technically SPD, he's borderline. Which is good because it could be much worse, but since he's not SPD he's not eligible for some programs that could benefit him, which is frustrating, but that's another rant for another day.

Some of my family is the same way, though, and think that spanking him will stop him from getting upset when he's in a loud crowd. The thought of punishing him for the feelings he's experiencing makes me so ... sad, mad, disgusted for him.
We had our 2 and we're through.
CappyNnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #207
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc12551 View Post
If that was the case, then my uncle who is in his 50's, wouldn't have Austism, right? He was classified as mentally handicapped by social security until three years ago. After his mom died he was evaluated again so he could find housing. His new diagnosis is autism. The only person not surprised was me (I had been saying it for years).
I'm glad he got the proper diagnosis finally!! I'm certainly glad society has progressed and is understand and learning more and more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CappyNnon View Post
Apparently my son isn't technically SPD, he's borderline. Which is good because it could be much worse, but since he's not SPD he's not eligible for some programs that could benefit him, which is frustrating, but that's another rant for another day.

Some of my family is the same way, though, and think that spanking him will stop him from getting upset when he's in a loud crowd. The thought of punishing him for the feelings he's experiencing makes me so ... sad, mad, disgusted for him.
YES!!!! Goodness it's like I can't make them understand that his feelings/reactions are very much because of neurological issues that are beyond his control.
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote