Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-29-2011, 09:44 AM   #1
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
cervix question

Okay ladies...need some advice/reassurance/whatever. Yesterday I was having some very mild cramping (nothing that would alarm me-and very likely bowel related). However, it prompted me to check my cervix (I am almost 17 weeks pregnant).

My cervix is never fully closed, and didn't seem open more than normal. It's soft, but stll thick. However, it seems a lot shorter to me...I know it could be because of swelling/growing/position of things at this stage but it did worry me a little. I have never had problems with my cervix in pregnancy before-in fact, I usually take a LONG time to dilate and thin even in induction. I have had no change in CM, no spotting, and check baby's heartrate daily.

Should I be worried? I have a doctor's appt Thursday, but am out of town until then. I plan to ask then, or is this urgent? Just looking for info/advice/opinions. Thanks ladies!!

Advertisement

Old 03-29-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: cervix question

It doesn't sound urgent to me- it could be that your cervix is posterior (where it should be!) and that's why it feels shorter to you. Since you're not having any other signs of preterm labor, it doesn't seem to me like you should have to worry. Even if it were, there wouldn't be much that could be done about it anyway- that might be a strange way to look at it, but that's how I would feel.

And anyone who has had a vaginal delivery will have a cervix that always feels *slightly* open, so definitely that's not something to worry about, but it seems like you already know that.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:12 PM   #3
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516
It doesn't sound urgent to me- it could be that your cervix is posterior (where it should be!) and that's why it feels shorter to you. Since you're not having any other signs of preterm labor, it doesn't seem to me like you should have to worry. Even if it were, there wouldn't be much that could be done about it anyway- that might be a strange way to look at it, but that's how I would feel.

And anyone who has had a vaginal delivery will have a cervix that always feels *slightly* open, so definitely that's not something to worry about, but it seems like you already know that.
Thanks! I know I have a retroverted uterus and at some point in pregnancy it "rights" itself...wonder if that would cause the change?
Old 03-29-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
mamaratliff
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

IME at that stage it changes frequently. Just depends on baby's position for me. HTH
Old 03-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

I agree with PP's. I say it's probably nothing at all to worry about - esp in the absence of any other alarmign symptoms.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote