Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-29-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Son's top tooth affecting nursing, any advice?

My son is just over 8 months old. We've had a wonderful breastfeeding experience thus far, with very few issues. He still nurses quite often, including at night, and much prefers it over solid foods.

He cut his first tooth (his bottom middle, to the right) on Christmas Eve, and the one next to it followed just a few days later. Other than a couple of bites and a few frustrated chomps while teething, his bottom teeth didn't affect our breastfeeding at all. However, I know that his tongue covers those, so the bottom teeth are different than the top.

Last week he cut a top tooth (his top middle, to the right; if you're facing him it's the tooth to the left). When he nurses it is painful for me, mostly on my left breast. The tooth is rubbing me, and it leaves a little indentation.

Yeah, owwww! My nipples are really, really sensitive right now.

What can I do to prevent this? It isn't always a problem but it is quite frequently. I assume he must be latching a bit funny.

The only thing that seems to help at all (when feeding with my left breast) is laying down on my right side, facing him and hovering over him a bit, so that my left breast is positioned as if it's the right breast (if that makes sense). But his other top tooth will be coming in soon, and I'd really like to FIX this problem. It really hurts and I don't want to have to resort to pumping; I enjoy BFing and plan on continuing for quite some time.

Thanks so much for any advice. I'll be contacting a local lactation consultant if I can't get this figured out soon.

Advertisement

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?

Last edited by wordbox; 03-29-2011 at 05:34 PM.
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:25 PM   #2
celticknot12
Registered Users
seller

Re: Son's top tooth affecting nursing, any advice?

My little guy is 7 months and recently got his top front teeth in as well. I've found that if I hold my nipple in front of his mouth and have him kinda reach for it, instead of putting it in his mouth for him it works better. I hold him there for a second before moving him closer and letting him latch on and he strains to get at it...and that mouth placement is all the difference...

hope that helps!
ISO: Beco 4G Denim Doves
celticknot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
runzbarrel
Registered Users
seller

I'm in the same boat with 10.5mos DS as he's getting both his top teeth in! He's always had a lazy latch and now I'm really feeling it! Most of the time it's fine but when he's tired or distracted is when it's the worst. I just try to make sure we get a good open mouth before I let him have it!
runzbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
Lovely
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 7 month old got his top tooth a couple weeks ago (his first one) and I haven't really had any issues with it except when I unlatch. He did bite me once but like my LC said I set him down and ended the session. Worked like a charm!

I could only suggest trying a different position. Maybe a shield if they're overly sensitive right now?
Old 03-29-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
Chickymom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I just went through this a few months ago. What worked for me was, while he was latched and drinking, adjusting the position of his body - usually his head more toward the side of my body (gosh, this is harder to describe than I thought!), or outward away from my body. I'd also sort of push my breast at his mouth while drinking. These things helped me.

BFeeding, CD'ing, no circumcising, PPAnxiety ridden, baby food makin' crazy person.
Chickymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:28 PM   #6
jenndoxx
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When DS cut each of his front teeth, I had some blisters and it hurt, but it went away after a few days, I think your nipple just has to get used to the new tooth/teeth being there.

Jenn
Mom to two little boys
jenndoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:56 AM   #7
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone!

Maybe he will just sort of grow out of it once he gets more used to his new teeth (and they stop hurting him)?

I've tried to get him to open wide and come toward my breast to latch on, but honestly that's usually how he latches on to begin with. I'll work at it, though. He's definitely clamping down differently, and his upper lip has been clenching inward.

I'm going to try some other positions, too... at least I've found one that works, even if it's a bit awkward!

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
krst693
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We mostly nurse side-laying and I have found that if I scoop DS up so he is resting in the crook of my arm it is more comfortable. (rather that him just laying on the bed)