Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-27-2011, 04:46 AM   #1
apboyles
Registered Users

My Mood:
Night weaning?

When do you do it? And how?

Advertisement

Old 03-27-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
ThreadsThatBind
Registered Users
Formerly: Lucy'sMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Night weaning?

We started night weaning when dd was 18 months old. I couldn't cut one feeding at a time, because she didn't have regular times when she woke to nurse. So I just started adding a few hours at a time when we wouldn't nurse. So at first, I wouldn't nurse her until after midnight. After she got pretty used to that, I wouldn't nurse her until after 3am. Then not until after 6am. Then not until after we woke up for the day (7:30ish). I'm not sure I would it the same way next time. It was way easier for dd to do that last "cut" when we stopped night nursing completely. I might try cold turkey at night with dd2. It seems harsh, but I think it might be easier on both of us in the long run.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

I night-weaned my first at 27 months. http://lactationnarration.com/index....night-weaning/
My second is 23 months and is not night-weaned, but I might start considering it in a few months. She doesn't sleep latched on all night the way my first did, so it doesn't seem so pressing this time.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:53 PM   #4
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My ds stopped nursing at night around 18m old, I was 3/4 months pregnant and couldn't take it anymore. Dd is 18m now and nurses once a night, I am hoping to have her night weaned within the month.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:48 PM   #5
Rapunzel10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I night-weaned DD around 16 months. I was exhausted as she nursed up to every 45 min or so some nights from birth, and I was also pregnant but didn't know it yet. I started sleeping in another room and left DH with her in our bed. I still nursed her to sleep, if she wanted, but we had started many months earlier having DH take her after her bedtime nursing, whether awake or asleep, get her to sleep with walking/swaying if she wasn't already, and then place her in her crib where she would stay until we came to bed. She initiated this as she would almost nurse to sleep and then force herself away repeatedly for hours around 8-9 months, and I just couldn't take it after a while so DH started helping. So she was very used to him getting her to sleep, at least. I thought it would be awful, and there was definitely some crying (I am totally in the no crying for my babies camp so this was very hard for me as well as her), but all in all she took it much better than I thought she would. I would wake up and listen to what was happening and any time I felt she was being pushed too far I'd go in and nurse her to sleep. The first night I think she made it 5 hrs, the next 6? the next 8? and the next she slept 11 hrs straight and woke up cheerful but VERY HUNGRY And that was it. I continued sleeping in the other room for a long time, for various reasons, and it was never an issue again.
Rapunzel10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:47 PM   #6
*~*FluffyBuns*~*
waiting on response to trade issue. Do not B/T with
seller

My Mood:

we night weaned at 16m. slowly took a couple weeks. dr. gordon has a great article about night weaning.
*~*FluffyBuns*~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:51 PM   #7
mommieofpees
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just got ds weaned. We went from nursing several times a night. At first I would just nurse him before bed and then when he woke up I would give him a sippy of milk,then after a week I would just put him down with a sippy,he would fuss for a little bit, but would eventualy fall asleep.