Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 03-30-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Cool 20 weeks along and terrified!

I'm new to this forum and this will be my very first post! My name is Veronica and I'm 19 weeks along with my third child. I have 2 beautiful and healthy boys (Keelan is almost 4 and Davin is 19 months). God is blessing me with a daughter this time

With my previous pregnancy I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes but DS was born without any complications what so ever. So this time around, I was diagnosed with GD at 15 weeks. At 16 weeks I was sent for U/S at the HR doc and she gave me the wonderful news that I was carrying a girl and the not-so wonderful news that my baby girl has a two-vessel cord or a single umbilical artery (whichever you prefer). I was told I would be monitored closely for the rest of the pregnancy because an SUA has the potential to deprive DD of oxygen and nutrients therefore causing intrauterine growth restriction and problems with heart, kidneys, etc.. At 17 weeks I had some bleeding (not spotting) and was sent to L&D. After 3 liters of fluid, some bloodwork and monitoring I was sent home. The bleeding had stopped and the baby seemed fine so I was told to see the HR doc for another U/S in a week. So at 18 weeks I went in for my u/s and the doc told me that DD was doing great! They didn't see any problems with her heart and what have you however.......... they found a 3 cm marginal placental abruption which was the cause of my bleeding!! UGH!!!

Anywhoooo....... now I'm on bed rest until (fingers crossed) the abruption heals. I've done EXTENSIVE research on all three conditions (GD, SUA & placental abruption) and since there is no link between placental abruption and SUA and both can cause PROM, preterm labor and lowbirthweight babies I'm pretty scared! The chances of a small abruption is about 5 in 150 women and the SUA only happens in about 1% of woman carrying one baby!!!!! What are the chances I have both conditions?!?! I guess I'll have to go with my heart and believe that God would not give me something I could not handle.

SO SO sorry for the long story, I guess I should've warned you . Does anyone else out there have a similar situation?? Have you heard of this craziness before? What was the outcome? Any advice, information, stories, luck, etc. you have to offer, I'll be thankful for! And thanks for taking the time to read this!!!!!!!

UPDATE 4/10: Got another u/s.... at 20wks3dys baby weighs a wonderful 13ozs however the abruption is now 3.2cm making it about 17%. Keep us in your prayers that it heals or does not progress so we can make it to 37wks!!!!!

Last edited by kittycorona; 04-10-2011 at 09:18 AM. Reason: UPDATE
kittycorona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
Registered Users
Re: 20 weeks along and terrified!

I don't have any advice but I'll send you lots of hugs!! Take it easy, Mama and hopefully the rest of your pregnancy won't be as eventful!
Loving Life as a Coastie Wife

Welcomed Liberty Grace May 12, 2011!
Greenebean214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:30 PM   #3
why do you insist on grating my kids already do that
My Mood:

The only that I've known of anyone having an 'issue' with IRL was the two vessel cord, HOWEVER when her ds was born, it was not so. Three vessel as norm. These things can sometimes be misdxed and I'll hope thats the case for you!
~*Lacey*~Wahm behind Ilori Knits IloriKnits FB Wahm Thread

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

Sending you lots and lots of and Mama
Hang in there, I had a PA with DD from 25 weeks and was put on bedrest
Just try to keep as well rested as you can, which I am sure is hard with your other two blessings
All will be good, as PP said, it could be midxd
You can do this Mama
WhereTheWildThingsLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
Registered Users
Formerly: CDN Mama of 4_08

I don't have advice on those conditions, I do however have 3 preemies, my last baby was born at 29 weeks so I can tell you that if you're expected to go early, just make sure to trust your gut instinct, ask for extra ultrasounds if it gives you piece of mind (I had 14 my last pregnancy-every 2 weeks!) and make sure to get the steroid shots for the baby's lungs...Good luck!
Proud Stay-at-home-mama to 6 (including 4 preemies 29-35 weeks); who enjoys reading, homeschooling/unschooling and trying to make everyday as stress-free as possible for my 2 precious sons with Autism
CDNMommyofmany is offline   Reply With Quote