Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-31-2011, 11:25 PM   #11
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Need help encouraging DH to be supportive of EBF

I wouldn't worry about it now. Wait until you get to a year and your DH will see how a year is still really just a baby. Not only that, but at a year, they aren't nursing constantly because they're eating food.

I used to think nursing toddlers was weird. Until I had a toddler. And while I didn't nurse mine past 10mos, I really don't find it odd when people do anymore. They a just babies who happen to walk!

Advertisement

isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:34 AM   #12
2LittleAngels
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't worry about it for a while either. My first weaned herself at 13 months. She was too busy and no longer interested in nursing.
2LittleAngels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #13
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

I used to think nursing toddlers was weird too until I was exposed to more people who did it, people who I respected, and then it didn't seem weird anymore. By the time my oldest was nearing one year old and people started asking me about weaning, I knew that I was going for two years. I told them that the WHO recommends a minimum of two years, and that lends some credibility, if you are looking for unbiased sources. As far as DH, I'm sure that if said when my oldest was born that I was going to nurse her for 4+ years, he would have thought I was nuts. But it all happens gradually, and every day they are just one day older than they were yesterday. I think that DH and I mostly think of nursing as something that is between me and the kids. It's my thing, and I will nurse as long as I want to. He mostly stays out of it, and he would never tell me I should wean if I don't want to or don't think it's the right choice. But over time, he has become actively supportive as he has seen how much it means to me and how much it means to the kids too. It takes some time and familiarity to get there though - you don't go into it knowing these things.

As for the nursing toddler with bad manners - that's not about nursing, that's about bad manners! Maybe read Mothering Your Nursing Toddler for ideas about setting limits with toddlers.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #14
KB'sMama1031
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Same thing here mama except for the bad experience part lol DS is 5 mo, and DH says if I want to breastfeed after 1 year then I have to pump it, he thinks its weird to nurse a baby who is old enough to ask for it.. I dont really agree .. its MY baby lol *sigh* ..this thread is helpful! I think we will just wait and see when we get there..
Old 04-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #15
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

my DH had a very similar reaction, even my pro-BFing mom asked if we were planning to wean! but once we reached 1 year, with no discernible difference in my baby (he didn't even walk till 14 months, so he was very much a baby still!), i saw no reason to stop. And unlike many mamas here, he actually nursed waaaay more frequently at 11-13 months than he had previously. After that it dropped off a bit, and we ended up gradually weaning. His last time nursing was the weekend he turned 2! It was painless, tearless, and I'm so glad we made it that far. I can't even begin to tell you how beneficial nursing past 1 was - for both of us. piece of mind for me when he didn't eat well during meals, piece of mind for him that i was still there for him even though i'm gone all day - and the perfect chance to reconnect daily for both of us. Don't bring it up, and don't be surprised if your DH doesn't even realize when it passes!
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote