Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-01-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
passthepickles
Registered Users
Formerly: shannbannan
seller

My Mood:
Pulmonary Hypertension? Help! I'm worried...

After basically running the gauntlet trying to figure out what is wrong with me, my dr. referred me to a cardiologist. I will be 29 weeks pregnant on Sunday, and had an echocardiogram on Wednesday morning after failing an EKG on Tuesday night due to high resting pulse (109+.)

I have a printout of the Echo results and I am waiting for a return call from the cardiologists office to go over the results with me (she was going to mail the results to me, but I picked them up last night since I was on that end of town and didn't want to risk not having them by the weekend.)

Anyway, the results don't sound good. Of course, I am scaring myself with worst case scenarios from the internet so that doesn't help... but here is what the report says:

trace mitral regurgitation
trace/mild pulmonic regurgitation
tricuspid regurgitation present
RVSP higher than normal- 36mmHg

I figured out that RVSP refers to pulmonary hypertension, and i'm scared that my number is too high, although I am NOT familiar with this stuff at all. Is 36 TOO high? Can this be caused by pregnancy, or was it likely present BEFORE I got pregnant? A warning is to NOT get pregnant with this condition- so obviously I am worried about my health and the health of my baby.

I am already being treated for high blood pressure (pregnancy induced) and I was taking Procardia... but my cardiologist switched me to asabutalol and magnesium .

Are the two related?

Ughhh. ANYONE with ANY advice is greatly appreciated! I could use a little comforting right now...

Advertisement

Last edited by passthepickles; 04-01-2011 at 09:05 AM.
passthepickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:02 AM   #2
temichan
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pulmonary Hypertension? Help! I'm worried...

I'm sorry you're going through this. I can ony speak about what happened to me, but my situation was like yours. I was diagnosed with heart failure art 37 weeks and DD was born 2 days after via emergency c-section. DD was healthy with 8-9 apgar scores. My OB didn't catch it and the cardiologist at the hosp said he didn't know how long I'd had this. I had pregnancy induced hypertention also and upon admission to the hosp it was 203/120. I ended up with a benign heart murmur that should have no impact on my life. I was given the ok to have more children 6 months later and my heart is right back to normal (except for the murmur). My cardiologist told me that a lot of women have heart issues during pregnancy, but after they give birth it goes away. I hope that will be the case with you. Stop looking on the internet (what my doctor always tells me), lol. You can PM me if you want.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:57 PM   #3
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The first three indicate a murmer, well1&2 say trace so its probably very slight and nothing to worry about. I'm not familiar with the last (most concerning to you), to really comment.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:00 PM   #4
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr2410 View Post
The first three indicate a murmer, well1&2 say trace so its probably very slight and nothing to worry about. I'm not familiar with the last (most concerning to you), to really comment.
Oh and if they didnt call you already, know that it can't be that emergent and try to just calm down till you can speak with the doctor.