Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-02-2011, 12:02 AM   #1
TrammellyFamily
Registered Users
Foremerly: MeadowAndColtsMama
seller

home birth after 3 hosp. medicated births?

Dh and I are going to ttc next year, I had ds 1 (10 yrs) at the hospital, epidural, good birth but not the homebirth I originally wanted. Dd (4 yrs) had in hospital, had an intrathecal, similar to an epi but lasted only one hour, all in all a really sad birth, devastating for me, I didn't do it natural OR have an "easy" birth, traumatic for me, ds (2 yrs) was induced, had epidural, uneventful birth, he was almost 10 lbs. I very much want to do what feels true to me this time. At home with a midwive. Period. Can anyone tell me that they've had one or more hospital births and then changed it up in a big way??? Or is anyone here planning what I am? A big change? I have no friends with my same mindset to talk to, dh will support me but doesn't understand....

Advertisement

Old 04-02-2011, 03:07 AM   #2
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: home birth after 3 hosp. medicated births?

I have had two hospital births, but not medicated... but always wanted a homebirth too. I have been happy with both my hospital births but also know in some ways I had to fight for them, and am hoping to have a homebirth this time, with somebody I know and am comfortable with and know will not interfere at all! I am also looking forward to the change and since this is my last baby I just feel like I need to do it, because otherwise I will always regret that I didn't use my last chance.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:14 AM   #3
MomSmoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My first two were born in a hospital. The hospital though was VERY crunchy. It was a small NY hospital which had converted its birth cottage to be in the hospital within the last 5 years, so staff still had the crunch factor. 1st birth was a bit of a screw up -- but that was me for the most part (posterior baby, tensing at every contraction and just trying to gut through it, 42 hours of labor). Second baby was a breeze and I labored in the tub for most of it. Totally unmedicated and lovely.

This time, I am in PA and no where near a birth friendly hospital. Our local c-section rate is well over 40% and induction rate is over 85% and pitocin rate is something like 98% too. Unless you come in crowing, you have some intervention. It isn't pretty. So I will home birth this one. I know how LITTLE intervention I had with #2 and live 3 minutes from a hospital in an emergency. Luckily DH is totally on board as well as MIL (she watched business of being born and didn't think labor hurt at all with her 3, so doesn't understand the fuss the OBs make about it. I adore her!!). I think my mom is nervous, but she knows better then to say anything to me or try to talk me out of it. I told her we will watch BOBB and she will feel better about it. My high school BF is an OB and we have talked about it a few times. She is actually pretty ok with it, although it is foreign to her because she has never -- in her 5 years of practice -- seen an unmedicated birth. Sad really. She may come to see my homebirth though. I have invited her and she will remain a silent observer (we are more like sisters... BF since I was 6 years old, etc).
Old 04-02-2011, 07:21 AM   #4
JennyAnn913
Registered Users
Formerly: miasmamma913
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am in the exact same boat as you. My first birth was an induction, with epidural and VERY traumatic. Second birth was medicated in a hospital with epidural. Third birth was induction in hospital with epidural and uneventful with horrible aftercare.

This birth we have hired a midwife and are doing a homebirth unmedicated with a doula present as well. I just want my body to experience what nature intended this process to be like. All of my Aunts say natural is WAY better, as they have done both as well. I wish you the best of luck. I hope you get to fulfill your wishes!
Old 04-02-2011, 08:38 AM   #5
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:

I don't see why not! I had a medicated hospital birth (epidural) with my DD and a "natural" hospital birth with my DS (no pain meds)

This time we are going to a free standing birth center...the lack of midwives in Georgia makes it really difficult to have a home birth here so we are driving 1 hour to SC instead.
USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:00 AM   #6
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS1 was a hospital birth with epidural then DS2 was at home with a midwife; complete turn around.
You can do it mama!!!!! If you want a natural birth home is the most supportive environment to be in. Yes, you can have a natural birth in a hospital but it's much harder...the lure of the drugs, nurses and doctors who aren't supportive and the fact that you are in a place that doesn't believe in the power of a womens body.
I say go for it, just do it safely.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:17 AM   #7
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sure, why not? I had a c/s for my twins, was planning a HB. My third I was thinking hospital VBAC and at 28 weeks switched to a HB midwife. She was born at home and my last 7 as well.