Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-09-2007, 10:52 PM   #41
ferrferr
Banned
seller

My Mood:
Re: pacifiers--what do you think?

DD#1 wasn't breastfed, and I fully plan on BFing DD#2.

DD#1 used a binky for awhile and sort of gave it up on her own in a few months time. Now she sucks on her whole hand nearly as a comfort thing. The more fingers crammed in her mouth the more upset she is.

DD#2 won't have a binky introduced unless really needed (like your situation from the sounds of it) and certainly not until we're in a good routine and I don't have to worry about any nipple confusion on her part. I won't even take the one home from the hospital that they give you just so the temptation is not there.

Advertisement

ferrferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:38 AM   #42
jaimegrrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

I also wanted to add that for us, using the paci actually seemed to help my dd to latch on better! I had read that it can make them suck harder or clamp down, but we didn't have any of that! I think that it actually improved our bf'ing relationship because she was nursing to eat and not just to have something to chew on!
Starting the addiction all over again!! ISO: Grovia WOODLANDS print (shell or AIO), Swaddlebees/Blueberry DINO party and ELEPHANTS prints, Best bottoms HEDGEHOG cover/AIO, OBV wipes, Aden & Anais BOYish burpy bibs and swaddling blankets...
jaimegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:08 AM   #43
jillovern
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I actually hid the paci from the LC at the hospital so she wouldn't know I was giving it to her. She was the BF nazi and I didn't feel like getting any lectures about nipple confusion. We aren't having any latch issues because of it so no biggie to me, I like that she will take one if she is having a hard time falling asleep. She doesn't demand it any other times either.

On the other hand though, my older DD awas bottle fed and had a very hard time giving it up. She was paci addicted! She would wake up in the middle of the night if it fell out (I made jokes to the hubby about taping it to her mouth - she was THAT addicted!) I finally got it down to naptime and bedtime only at 2, until the MIL came to visit and kept giving it to her when I wasn't looking. Took another year to break it after that!

So, lesson learned, to me pacis are good but need to be cut out before an addiction develops!!

Pleased to own Peas and Thank You's. Visit me at www.peasandthankyous.etsy.com for unique handmade stationery!
jillovern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:17 AM   #44
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD started a binkie at about a week old. She HATED comfort nursing. She would want to suck but would get so mad when I'd offer her the breast. She was so much happier when we finally decided to try giving her a binkie. She let us know if we read her cues wrong and she was ready to nurse - she'd spit the binkie out if that was what she wanted. Same goes if I offered her the breast and she just wanted her binkie. They don't have to be bad things if they are used right.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:00 PM   #45
Bellesmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

My little one was a sucking fanatic! We started using a binkie at about 6 weeks, only here and there so I could get something done with my shirt down! I don't think there is an issue with it as long as you aren't missing feedings.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:47 AM   #46
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DD has been sucking her thumb since before she was born (it was SO COOL to see on the u/s). We never tried a paci since she already had one that she could never lose. lol. As for getting her to stop later, I'm not terribly worried about that. So far she only sucks it for like 5 seconds right after nursing to help her stay asleep while I transfer her from boob to bed. She does not suck it when she's bored or awake or whatever. It works for us. Next baby may be different.

OP, how are things going with you now?
I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:52 AM   #47
jrk
Registered
seller

My Mood:

My ds had a paci from the day he was born. He didn't really like it, but was a thumb sucker and I preferred him to take a paci instead. He was a good bf'er. He had to be bottle fed for a week when he was 1 week old because I ended up having 2 emergency surgeries, and couldn't bf for a week. He did go right back to the breast like he'd never stopped in the first place. I don't think that it will hurt anything.
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote