Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #11
dornmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: UCers, What about AFTER the birth??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriket View Post
Oh my. From the inside? Like with gauze?

and what do you do with the placenta? eat it? I hear a retained placenta can cause issues too, if it tears and a piece is left behind.

I think HB is wonderful, and wish we had better access to simpler birth options (as American/Canadians) but UC is scary for me Many women obviously do it with no issues, but I sometimes hurt myself getting the mail. Nothing goes according to my plans!
UC is definitely not for everyone. The women that do UC normally educate themselves and are very prepared for complications though. If something arises that they are unprepared for or can not handle themselves they transfer to the hospital.

Homebirth with a midwife is different and it's the midwives that are prepared for the emergency situations. In the event of an emergency that the midwife can not treat at home she will simply transfer mother and baby to the hospital. Midwives are equipped to handle a large variety of things though.

Advertisement

Terra, wife to James (10.16.05), mama to Sasha (born via c/s 8.4.06), my sweet angel boy in heaven Glenn (born still on 5.2.08 my VBAC angel), George (born via VBAC on 11.17.09), June 2011 and September 2011 .
dornmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:53 PM   #12
mooshkin
Registered Users

This is the first I've heard of this! I've known about home birth of course, but I didn't know women actually planned to do it unassisted.

Sounds scary...I actually liked the comfort of being at the hospital.
mooshkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #13
findingstrength
Registered Users

In extreme bleeding yeah it can be packed with guaze. Usually pitocin and outside massage will stop it. Yes, you cut a small part of the placenta and eat it or hold it under your tongue.
Mom/stepmom to 8 beautiful children 16 yr old girl, 12 yr old girl, 9 yr old boy, another 9 yr old boy, 8 yr old boy, 7 yr old girl, 4 year old boy, 1 year old boy, expecting #9 in July!

ISO: size 3x maternity swimsuit
findingstrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:24 PM   #14
mindyt289
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post
After birth, watch baby for problems w/ respiration, labored breathing, blue hands and/or feet. Watch for pooping and peeing. If there is a problem we would go to the hospital. I would not have myself admitted.

Bleeding I have sheperd's purse on hand and also cytotec for a PPH.
Blue hands and feet (acrocyanosis) are completely normal.

Poser= Someone who pretends to be something that they are not.
mindyt289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:08 AM   #15
MyLovely
Registered Users

To be honest, I think every pregnant woman should know the basics in case they accidently UC. You never know if the baby is just going to come too fast and will arrive either at home or in the car. Personally, if I were to accidently UC I would rather be in my home than a car. I think it's important to know the signs of distress in a newborn and to know the warning signs of a postpartum hemorrhage.

I support the right to UC (not like it's something that could be regulated anyhow), but in most societies birth has always been a woman thing, where you'd be surrounded by older, knowledgeable family members (grandmas, aunts, mom, etc) and possibly an experienced midwife. I don't know if I feel UC is entirely natural in that I don't think giving birth alone or with just DH is the human default. However, like I said...different women want different things. If my only options were hospital birth or UC, I'd probably get prenatal from a doctor and then have a "oops, baby came too fast, see you for my six week checkup" type deal.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:15 AM   #16
doubleddog
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When I was a kid my neighbor UC'd with all 4 of her children due to the fact that there were no midwives in the area and she was determined to have a natural experience. She was also a Jehovah's Witness, so I think she was nervous about being pressured to get blood transfusions in the event of an emergency. I was a kid at the time, so I don't remember, but my mom said her hubby would always drive her to the hospital to get checked after the birth and stitched if she tore and they didn't take the baby, so she would always just tell them she needed to get home to nurse. She's the only person I know IRL who's ever UC'd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dornmama View Post
Homebirth with a midwife is different and it's the midwives that are prepared for the emergency situations. In the event of an emergency that the midwife can not treat at home she will simply transfer mother and baby to the hospital. Midwives are equipped to handle a large variety of things though.
I don't know that I'd agree 100% with this. Maybe my experience was just different than most, but I was given information at my first midwife appointment about how to deliver a baby if the midwife didn't make it in time. I was also given a "to read" list. Home birth mamas are or at least should be held to a higher standard than hospital birth moms. To even decide to consider a home birth she has to have done some extra research. It was made very clear to me that having a home birth is a serious thing to not be taken lightly and that I needed to majorly do my homework during pregnancy. Yes, a midwife will transfer if there are major issues, but they carry oxygen, pitocin, tinctures and herbal remedies, and various other things to aid in unforseen problems that could arise. They also are just a lot more thoroughly trained than OBs in certain things like various birth positions for different problems in labor.
Babywearing, CDing SAHM. I love my DH and my 3 sweet girls, looking forward to meeting team green baby #4 April 2013.
doubleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:45 AM   #17
dornmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleddog View Post
When I was a kid my neighbor UC'd with all 4 of her children due to the fact that there were no midwives in the area and she was determined to have a natural experience. She was also a Jehovah's Witness, so I think she was nervous about being pressured to get blood transfusions in the event of an emergency. I was a kid at the time, so I don't remember, but my mom said her hubby would always drive her to the hospital to get checked after the birth and stitched if she tore and they didn't take the baby, so she would always just tell them she needed to get home to nurse. She's the only person I know IRL who's ever UC'd.

I don't know that I'd agree 100% with this. Maybe my experience was just different than most, but I was given information at my first midwife appointment about how to deliver a baby if the midwife didn't make it in time. I was also given a "to read" list. Home birth mamas are or at least should be held to a higher standard than hospital birth moms. To even decide to consider a home birth she has to have done some extra research. It was made very clear to me that having a home birth is a serious thing to not be taken lightly and that I needed to majorly do my homework during pregnancy. Yes, a midwife will transfer if there are major issues, but they carry oxygen, pitocin, tinctures and herbal remedies, and various other things to aid in unforseen problems that could arise. They also are just a lot more thoroughly trained than OBs in certain things like various birth positions for different problems in labor.
I think we are really on the same page I just didn't write it out as well as you.
Terra, wife to James (10.16.05), mama to Sasha (born via c/s 8.4.06), my sweet angel boy in heaven Glenn (born still on 5.2.08 my VBAC angel), George (born via VBAC on 11.17.09), June 2011 and September 2011 .
dornmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #18
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindyt289 View Post
Blue hands and feet (acrocyanosis) are completely normal.
I am not speaking of blueish tint, as most of mine have had that, UC or not, but darker blue, extending upwards into extremities. I wasn't clear as I posted too hastily.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #19
findingstrength
Registered Users

I found Laura Shanleys Unassisted Childbirth Forum to be a good resource.
Mom/stepmom to 8 beautiful children 16 yr old girl, 12 yr old girl, 9 yr old boy, another 9 yr old boy, 8 yr old boy, 7 yr old girl, 4 year old boy, 1 year old boy, expecting #9 in July!

ISO: size 3x maternity swimsuit
findingstrength is offline   Reply With Quote