Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2011, 11:40 AM   #1
made4this
Active Contributor
Formerly: boyfarm3
seller
seller

My Mood:
Back pain/advice, please?

So, when I was pregnant with my 4 mo I was in agony for the last 5-6 weeks of the pregnancy with hip and low back pain. I tried everything, and the pain didn't go away until about 10 days after the baby was born. I have a Maya Wrap that I used occasionally with my 6 y/o when he was a baby, but when I wear my LO in it I start to feel the pain like I am pregnant all over again, and if I wear him for any length of time I ache for a day or two. He loves the sling and I really want to wear him, but I think the RS is just not working for us anymore. Would an MT help this problem? I feel like the RS is not an even enough weight distribution for my back. I have a similar problem on days that I just carry him around the house a lot. Ideally, I would really like to get something compact, such that it can fit in the diaper bag when I am not using it. I would appreciate any advice you experienced mamas would be willing to send my way! If it matters he is 14 lbs, 11 oz and I am 5'4"

Advertisement

Last edited by made4this; 02-19-2011 at 12:52 PM. Reason: forgot to mention
made4this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
clover
Registered Users
seller

Re: Back pain/advice, please?

Yes, it sounds like a mei tai (BabyHawk, Mei Tai Baby, Kozy, etc.) would probably be better for you. They go over both shoulders and also have a waist strap so it will distribute the weight more then the ring sling. A soft structured carrier (SSC) like a Boba or Beco would probably be more comfortable as well. SSCs are a little bulkier then a mei tai though and probably won't fit in your diaper bag.

I hope you can find something that will work for you soon!
clover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
clover
Registered Users
seller

An after thought... you may also want to work on your core muscles and be more mindful of your posture when you are wearing or holding your son. If you are slouching to compensate or pulling your center of gravity out of whack it will probably be painful. It could be in addition to getting a more ergonomic carrier that you may just need to work up your babywearing muscles as well. So wear in little bursts the first week or two after you get a new carrier and be mindful of your posture while doing so. It could make a huge difference.
clover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
calind115
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you ever been to a chiropractor? I love mine! He keeps me aligned so taht I can wear my 3 yo and my twins whenever I need to! For someone with back issue I would say a wrap (woven bc of his size) or a mt with wrap straps would prbably be your best bet. It allows for a more even distribution of the weight and depending on how your back or other joints feel you can adjust the way and where the straps are
HTH
Old 02-20-2011, 04:19 PM   #5
made4this
Active Contributor
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you mamas! I think I will try to get my hands on a MT soon. I will see if I can rent
one to try somewhere. What do you mean by a MT with wrap straps? I am assuming a woven wrap is like a Moby? You are right on about my core muscles. I know they are weak and I am trying to fit in some crunches when I can. I have been to a chiropractor, especially when I was pregnant (read: every day), but with minimal relief. I think it is just the weight of baby on me unevenly. I sold my RS today and am planning to go for an adjustment tomorrow, so I expect to have a clean slate after that to try a different carrier.
made4this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:16 PM   #6
calind115
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

a woven is like a moby only not stretchy. it allows for a higher weight limit but also i have found spreads the weight better so it doesnt pull harder on the center part of the strap, does that make sense?
wrap straps are wider then regular padded straps, so there are less pressure points and they are usually longer so you can wrap the straps in different ways to not put pressure where you back hurts. i have tried one that is a reagular mei tai with wrap straps and im not a fan. part of my bacl problem is my hips and lower lumbar so i REALLY prefer to have a ssc bottom, and a wide padded one at that. let me see if i can find some pics of what i am talking about.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
katina128
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a terrible back, complete with arthritis, herniated discs, and nerve impingement, and the sling is least comfy for me. I have a woven wrap, and a stretchy wrap like Moby, and so far like the woven best as it supports her the most. I have an Ergo as well, and it seems a bit too wide in the crotch for her still. Hope you find something that works and doesn't hurt. I hurt all the time anyway, but try to be careful not to make it worse.

WAHM behind Lullaby Diapers Portfolio

katina128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
Nichonas
Registered Users

My Mood:

I agree w/getting a MT w/ wide woven straps. Or just using a woven. For long periods, it's just better to have the weight evenly distributed on your body. =)
Nichonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #9
made4this
Active Contributor
seller
seller

My Mood:

Update: Just wanted to thank all the mamas who advised me with this problem. I ended up selling my Maya Wrap and buying a beautiful MT on FSOT. It is not a SSC but the straps are pretty wide and VERY long, and it was within my price range. I love it! I still have some pain and soreness if I wear him for a long time, and I may need to upgrade as he grows, but the discomfort is really very minor compared to what I was having before. We even went for a 30-min walk yesterday with it (stroller was in the car that DH had taken to work.) I just wanted to say THANK YOU so much to all the mamas who helped me out Blessings.