Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-15-2011, 12:01 AM   #1
tooker2010
Registered Users

My Mood:
sudden lactation a sign of early pregnancy? TMI

I'm hoping I'm just having a false alarm...

I have a 13 MO daughter. She stopped breast feeding at 7 months because my milk supply dried up (birth control combined with high stress) and my milk was completely gone within 2 weeks of switching her completely to bottles. I was wearing a shirt with no bra today since I was staying at the house, and my DH noticed a wet spot on my shirt, and lo and behold! I am lactating a small amount from each breast. It looks like colostrum. I am not currently on chemical birth control because of side effects, and haven't been for 3 months. My DH and I do use condoms but sometimes we don't start out with the condom, if you know what I mean.
I've also been emotional over the last week or so (but I attributed that to our very tight finances, falling behind in my college schoolwork, maintaining a household, lack of sleep, ect.)I've been more tired than usual (but then I haven't been getting a much sleep as I like, i haven't been exercising,I've been stressed and emotional, ect) and if these are symptoms they are completely different from my last pregnancy because I knew i was pregnant before i missed my period with my last baby, and I don't feel pregnant at all right now. I'll take a preggy test in the morning, but in the mean time...
anyone else lactate in very early pregnancy?
sorry about the novel!

Advertisement

tooker2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:45 AM   #2
GracieMak'sMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: sudden lactation a sign of early pregnancy? TMI

FWIW, my boobies do that every month (the lactating part) when i ovulate. . no clue why, it just happens. . could that be whats going on with you?
Old 04-15-2011, 06:30 AM   #3
graceworks
Registered Users
Formerly: annaelise
seller
seller

My Mood:

let us know how the test turns out! I've only been pregnant once but didn't have leaky breasts until the baby was born.
loving being a stay at home wife to DH (married 4/11/09) and mommy to DD1 (10/4/10) and little DD2 (5/30/12) and expecting baby #3 in March!
graceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #4
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I have been having the same think from my left breast. I am having my prolactin levels tested. It actually means that your estrogen is low and could keep you from ovulating. This will make your cycles all weird - no AF, early AF, late AF, etc.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
tooker2010
Registered Users

My Mood:

I took a EPT this morning and it was negative. It could be that I'm ovulating, and that's triggering the lactation, but I've never noticed that before. Good tip on the hormone levels. It's about time for another visit to the gynocologist, I'll definitely bring it up when I go. I suppose it could be that I've leaked a little since DD stopped breastfeeding and I just don't notice. Or perhaps I'm starting to leak again because I'm no longer on birth control? Thanks for the posts, ladies!

Last edited by tooker2010; 04-15-2011 at 11:14 AM.
tooker2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:07 PM   #6
cemetree
Registered Users
seller

you know, i was never able to produce enough to breastfeed but i did what i could up until i had to have gall bladder surgery and here i am 2 years later and still have one breast that produces 3-4 drops worth a day...
cemetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:38 AM   #7
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

You could use OPKS or BBT to see if you are ovulating. If you are, then I would not worry too much about it. I would still have your levels checked to be sure. Since I breastfed or was PG for almost 3 years, it is not suprising I have some residual left. I just want to be sure that it will not effect my fertility as high prolactin can.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote