Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2007, 05:41 AM   #1
mommy2alisa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
IUD?

Anyone have one? or ever had one? Which one did you have? This seems to be the best option for me. I'm just nervous about the idea of having a foreign object in my body. I would love to have two more children. If circumstances were different I'd probably be TTC now. But for the next few years I really need to focus on other things .

Advertisement

mommy2alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:02 AM   #2
eirbjorn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: IUD?

I've had two.
The first one was the copper one, and I loved it, worked great, never even knew it was there. I had that one for nearly 2 years. But then they made available the hormone one, which I decided would be better for me. So I had the first one removed and the other one put in. On that one I bled all the time and had a lot of cramping. Supposedly the bleeding dies down after awhile, but after 3 months I gave it up.
If one doesn't work out for you, it isn't that much of a big deal to have it switched for another one, but I hated the insertion process (it really isn't that big of a deal, but it really bothered me for some reason, lol).
I think the IUD is a great option for those that don't want to have to worry about birth control. It is there, and that is it. I really wished I had never switched, as the first one worked perfectly for me.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:20 AM   #3
Zanymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have the Mirena. Insertion was a pain. I only cramped for a day. But I have had spotting for 3 months now. Haven't for a few days though, so maybe that part is calming down.

I like it. I would get it again.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:12 PM   #4
Infinity
Registered Users
Formerly: five-littlemonkeys
seller

My Mood:

I’m allergic to latex and copper and I’m VERY fertile (most pills aren’t enough). So when the Depo shot was making me gain weight my ob suggested the Merina IUD. It seamed like the best option for us. Well after 3 1/2mn of constant headaches/migraines, I had it taken out. My ob wasn’t available for 5 weeks so I saw her midwife assistant (love her!!). She said this is extremely common and she HATES the Merina IUD for it. Apparently many women have migraines from it in the first 3-4mn. It’s recommended to keep it in and deal for a few more mn but I wasn’t functioning and with BF there was nothing I could take that would get ride of the migraines! My headaches are better now after a week of having it out, but not gone.
I’m going to get fitted for a non latex diaphragm (they had to order the fitting rings) and we’ll stick with that and non latex condoms. I’d rather be pg unplanned than gaining weight or having migraines and my DH feels the same way. Mama needs to be able to care for her brood!!

Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:40 PM   #5
opheliabliss
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've had mine merina (sp) in for over 10 mo. My periods are almost gone! The longer I hang in there with it the better it gets. I spotted & cramped alot at first. I also had pms BAD with it at first also. But now things are good. I get slight cramps every now & then. Like I said things are much better & keep getting that way every month. I love not popping pills or worring if I'm preggers all the time.
Lucy Hope 08/15/09
opheliabliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:22 AM   #6
mommy2alisa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the input ladies I'm going to ask for the older IUD, the copper one. I have a tendency toward depression and I'm kinda worried about the progesterone in the mirena making it worse. I used to get the depo shots years ago. I loved the ease of it but not the side effects (gained 10lbs each shot , headaches). My appointment isn't for 2 weeks and I think I have to wait another week or two after that before they will insert it... to make sure I'm not PG...I think I need 2 or 3 negative pregnancy tests a couple days apart...something like that...
I just want to get it over with. With my luck I will conceive between now and then and not be able to get it So we are going to have to be super careful.
mommy2alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:17 AM   #7
Steve's Wife
Registered Users
seller

Just be aware that it works mainly by preventing implantation, so you are still conceiving and then your body is just not allowing the embryo to implant.
Steve's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:35 AM   #8
sesa70
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have the copper IUD and love it.

I cannot do any hormonal bc. I get terrible migraines and my anxiety acts up on every pill I have ever been on. I was concidering the mirena, but after reading a pp say it gave her migraines, I am so glad I didnt!

Insertion is uncomfortable, and my periods were heavier for about 4-5 months. They are now almost back to normal (a year later!) but are slightly heavier than they used to be. This doesnt bother me too much, so it works well for me. Its the best bc I have ever tried! LOL!

As a side note, and this may be WAY TMI but my dh says that he can occasionally feel it poking him! LOL! I assume its the string that is knotted (its a thin wire thread I believe) and the end somehow managed to get him. I will probably have it trimmed next time I am at the dr.