Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #1
hminor11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Need some opinions-UPDATE

Update--My doctors office called back this afternoon. They wouldn't say what my numbers came back at yesterday. They said I have to go back in a week to get my blood drawn again and then they scheduled me an appointment to see the doctor the next day. Now I am wondering what in the world is going on, or at least what are they thinking is maybe going on

I wasn't sure where to post this, so feel free to move if it is in the wrong spot

My husband and I were TTA but found out in March we were pregnant. Then, after my doctor took a few beta's he determined I miscarried. Let me just throw some dates and numbers out there and see if you guys have any idea what is going on. Oh yeah, to add to the confusion, I am breastfeeding and my periods are all over the place. I have no idea when my last one was.

3/10/11- Felt funny, decided to take a HPT, turned up negative
3/11/11- took another with FMU, still negative
3/12/11- started what I thought was my period, but it only lasted 3 days and had some clots which is unusual for me
3/27/11- felt funny again, took another HPT and it was positive
3/28/11- got beta done and came back at 25
3/30/11- another beta, came back at 50
4/4/11- another beta, came back at 34
4/16/11- took a HPT and is still positive

I am just wondering how after almost 2 weeks my beta that was at 34 hasn't dropped down enough to make a HPT negative? Sorry this is so long and probably confusing. I was just hoping maybe you ladies had some opinions as to what was going on. Thanks for any info

Advertisement

Last edited by hminor11; 04-19-2011 at 01:24 PM.
hminor11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
angelina_lover
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need some opinions

From my experience with hpt's, if it detects hcg it will be positive. Not sure how your beta is still at 34 maybe have him do another??
angelina_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
spencerrn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Those betas are pretty low for a healthy pregancy and they should double every other day. I am gonna guess this will be a miscarriage but it maybe that you just caught this pregnancy really early. I would have another Beta drawn to see if it has gone down then you will know for sure. Betas that low you will not see anything with ultrasound. Prayers to you.
spencerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #4
hminor11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks mama's I am already in agreement with the doc as far as the pregnancy not being viable. I am mainly just wondering why my hcg levels haven't dropped back down to 0, or close enough to 0 that the hpt would no longer be positive.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:02 AM   #5
stayinhomewithmy6
Registered Users
Formerly: stayinhomewithmy5
seller

My Mood:

Hi Mama, Keep an eye on it until you do get a negative hpt. Between babies 3 and 4, I had a partial molar pregnancy. It was a very weird situation. I had what I thought was a normal miscarriage, but I kept getting + hpt's. When I miscarried, I had been to the doctor and had an ultrasound and even a D&C, so I couldn't figure out why it was taking so long for my hcg to go down. I wasn't getting blood tests, just doing the hpt's, once a week. I was also randomly spotting, every 2-3 weeks, red blood and a few clots, but only for an hour or so and then it would stop. I still thought it was related to the miscarriage. Eventually, about 3 months after my D&C, still getting + hpt's, I called my OB's office. The nurse on the phone thought that I must have gotten pregnant again right away after the miscarriage. I didn't agree because I just didn't feel pregnant and we had been VERY careful during that time. I can't really explain that feeling, everyone was telling me that I was pregnant, but I knew that I wasn't. They had me go in for an ultrasound to "date the pregnancy" and that's when they found the mole growing. As it turned out, what we thought was a normal miscarriage was actually a partial molar pregnancy and the mole never went away and was growing back. It was a scary situation, actually. Molar pregnancies are a 1 in 1,000 rarity, but it does happen, so it is wise to monitor yourself until your levels go back down just to make sure that everything is normal.

Last edited by stayinhomewithmy6; 04-18-2011 at 12:06 AM.
stayinhomewithmy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
hminor11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinhomewithmy5 View Post
Hi Mama, Keep an eye on it until you do get a negative hpt. Between babies 3 and 4, I had a partial molar pregnancy. It was a very weird situation. I had what I thought was a normal miscarriage, but I kept getting + hpt's. When I miscarried, I had been to the doctor and had an ultrasound and even a D&C, so I couldn't figure out why it was taking so long for my hcg to go down. I wasn't getting blood tests, just doing the hpt's, once a week. I was also randomly spotting, every 2-3 weeks, red blood and a few clots, but only for an hour or so and then it would stop. I still thought it was related to the miscarriage. Eventually, about 3 months after my D&C, still getting + hpt's, I called my OB's office. The nurse on the phone thought that I must have gotten pregnant again right away after the miscarriage. I didn't agree because I just didn't feel pregnant and we had been VERY careful during that time. I can't really explain that feeling, everyone was telling me that I was pregnant, but I knew that I wasn't. They had me go in for an ultrasound to "date the pregnancy" and that's when they found the mole growing. As it turned out, what we thought was a normal miscarriage was actually a partial molar pregnancy and the mole never went away and was growing back. It was a scary situation, actually. Molar pregnancies are a 1 in 1,000 rarity, but it does happen, so it is wise to monitor yourself until your levels go back down just to make sure that everything is normal.
Thanks for your input! I was actually kind of getting a little worried about it maybe being an ectopic pregnancy. I thought in a molar pregnancy you normally have pretty high hcg levels? Mine never reached over 50, at least that I know of. I go today to get my blood drawn again. I'll update when I get the numbers back
Old 04-18-2011, 03:24 PM   #7
nceveritt
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It does seem like a long time for your HCG levels to be holding up. Strange. Waiting to hear the update.

Like our store on Facebook
nceveritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:51 PM   #8
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Interesting... Maybe the 34 was actually a 134? Hopefully you can get the results soon.