Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-18-2011, 05:24 PM   #11
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Re: A less traumatizing bath?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchkids View Post
Have you tried bubbles? I know bubble baths can be irritating for some kids but they were the magic answer for one of our kids. He would scream and stiffen himself up so you couldn't put him into the tub. My husband added bubbles one day in desperation and now the child runs upstairs for baths and cries when you take him out of the tub.
This worked for SO's DS. He also would hold up a mirror and they would make silly hair do's together with the shampoo/bubbles, and once he even bought colored bath time bubbles for the novelty.

Advertisement

Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:40 PM   #12
Agla
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

He didn't freak when I tried the sink. He did whimper the first time but I gave him some fun toys to hold and then he was fine. He doesn't mind water on his head. I actually have to use a spray bottle on his head to comb it on non shampoo days. He brings me the spray bottle. It was just something about doing it in the bath that made him crazy.

Earn easy Amazon GCs with Perk TV
Soft Star shoes are awesome. Buy them here.
Agla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #13
Winter
Registered Users
seller

What about trying a hand-held shower nozzle? They have been a blessing for all of my kids. The water is easier to direct that way. You can also get little foam visors to keep the water out of their face.
Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:26 PM   #14
clothforyourangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've finally made progress with DS3 on this same thing. When the water is just filling (deep enough to cover the whole tub about 1/2 inch), I lay him down and wet his hair, sit him up and wash, then lay him back down to rinse. That way, it's not deep enough to get in his face and I always have my hands on him and it's faster and easier than a cup sitting up. It helped to have me leaning over and close to him so he knew I was right there with him, even laying down. After about three days of doing it this way, he lays still for me every time. After washing, he gets a while to play and now we're back to tantrums when it's time to get out. He also loves taking baths with his older brothers.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:09 PM   #15
pcjs
Registered Users

We do the wash cloth as my son freaks out too but he still wants his bath. Can you "bribe" with some new toys? The colored bath tablets are fun but someone told me you can also use food coloring but I haven't tried it yet. The bath crayons are cool too - we have lots of fun with those. They make a head shield I've seen at BRU but it looked like more of a hassle than it was worth as I considered trying it.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #16
silverangel313
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ok, we got some new bath toys to get him into the tub without too much crying. We tried just a washcloth, and I would just wipe his head to get it wet. He would get mad, but he didn't freak out! So I guess it's a step in the right direction!

But yeah, we've tried laying him down in the water, tried the shower nozzle on both a mist and on like a 'flood' type setting.. Neither of those worked.

And yeah, we've always put bubbles for the kids to play with. I'm thinking of maybe finding a bath tub mirror that suction cups to the wall and try the silly hair-do's and bubbles on his head! That way he can see what's going on and that it isn't so bad!
silverangel313 is offline   Reply With Quote