Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-19-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
dragonfly263544
Registered Users
seller

Food allergies?

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this or not, I'm still new to the chat forums.

I'm pretty sure my ODD has a food allergy/sensitivity. She fits the Dorris Rapp "Is this your child?" to a T. She had had a scaly red rash on her face that has noticeable flare ups, dark circles, and puffy eyes. She also has the scaly rash covering I would say 75% of her body. It doesn't appear to itch or bother her at all, and I have eczema so I know it is not that.

She also had behavioral problems that seem to be related to what she eats, but I can't figure out what it is. At frist I thought it was milk, then red #40, then corn....I just don't know. Does anybody have any experience with this?

Today, her face flared up horribly, so I took pictures so that somebody might recognize it:

Its very dry, like sandpaper, and its the same on her arms, back, bottom, and shoulders.

Any thoughts?

Advertisement

I work from home with tutor.com! PM me if you're interested in a great job to make some extra money!

I made $600 last month writing and editing with CloudCrowd. Pays every next business day!
dragonfly263544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Food allergies?

Start keeping a food journal. Have you done an elimination diet yet? One where you cut even the hidden sources out?
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
dragonfly263544
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallanvor View Post
Start keeping a food journal. Have you done an elimination diet yet? One where you cut even the hidden sources out?
I'm planning on trying it in May. It seems so daunting but I would rather do that then have to take her in for allergy testing. Its going to be hard though because all of her favorite foods are the ones she can't have.

I work from home with tutor.com! PM me if you're interested in a great job to make some extra money!

I made $600 last month writing and editing with CloudCrowd. Pays every next business day!
Old 04-19-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
tusheez
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I would go to an allergist. They can run some tests that might pin point what is causing it. It could also be something she is coming into contact with not necessarily what she is eating. Or could be what someone else has around her. good luck!
Old 04-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #5
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusheez View Post
I would go to an allergist. They can run some tests that might pin point what is causing it. It could also be something she is coming into contact with not necessarily what she is eating. Or could be what someone else has around her. good luck!
Yes. We had this done for DS2 when he was about 11 months old, because he had trouble with both milk and soy based formulas. It was a simple blood draw, then the blood was tested for antibodies. A lot quicker and more accurate than the trial and error of a food journal, at least as a starting point.

The trouble is, the basic test only tests for the "Big 8" - dairy, wheat, soy, fish, shellfish, nuts, peanuts, and egg. It is also fairly expensive. We paid about $350, even with insurance.

If she's old enough (around 4), they may be able to do skin testing. It can test for a lot more things and the results are instant. For younger children, their skin is too sensitive - too many false positives.

But do check and see what your doctor recommends. In order to eliminate all the major allergen sources for 2 -3 weeks really puts serious limits on what she can eat.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:30 PM   #6
sstarfish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just wanted to send you .... we're going through food allergies too! We had the blood test done on DS1 and DS2 (my 1st and 3rd born), and they are both allergic to peanuts, and DS2 (who is only a year old ) is allergic to tomatoes, soy protien, egg whites (uncooked only), and sunflower seeds. We had the testing done on him because he had a reaction after eating a sunflower seed butter sandwich.... his face swelled and was itchy, and he had immediate vomiting and diarrhea. My kiddos that have the food allergies have eczema, and when they eat their allergens, the eczema gets worse. I haven't seen a face rash like what your DD has, but that's just my kiddos.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #7
dragonfly263544
Registered Users
seller

The last time I talked to our ped he said that they couldn't do a blood test. Is it the RAST test that you guys have had done? I have heard about that one, and need to ask again. Even as expensive as it is (we have crappy insurance) it would be worth it to have a quick answer. At least then I could have a jump start if there were any "hidden" allergies as well.

The other thing I am worried about as fas as a blood test, is that she freaks out if she thinks she is bleeding, so I'm not sure how well that would go over.

The ped said he didn't want to do a skin test on her yet since she was still young (this was when she was 2) because she isn't haveing any physical symptoms that are bothering her enough to make it worth the discomfort. No hives, swelling of the throat, and like I said her rash doens't seem to be itchy.

I need to take her back and see if they can do the blood test. I think the elimination diet would be the least traumatic, but it just seems *so* daunting.

Thanks for all the replies!

Old 04-19-2011, 06:48 PM   #8
tusheez
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Hey mama one more thing sometimes each reaction can change like one day be worse than another day. we have done skin and blood tests. my DD has a weird skin reaction like that pic with cinnamon