Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-19-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
Mrsfroberg
Registered Users

1500 mile road trip...

Next month I'm taking a 1500 mile road trip with my 3 kiddos....alone while DH is gone for training for almost 3 months.

The kiddos are 4, 2, and 8 months (baby will be 9.5 when we leave). HELP me with ideas on keeping them busy- it's going to be a 3 day trip, 8 hours the first day, 6 hours the last two days.

I plan on packing a backpack for each of the older two with come crayons, new coloring books, and a new dvd. Maybe some snacks? What about for the baby? AH! I'm starting to stress!

Thanks for the ideas

Advertisement

Alli: loving wife to my geeky Air Force Computer Engineer , Brandon
Mommy to: Audrey (2.10.07), William (2.16.09), and Eloise (8.10.10)
Maxwell & Charlotte (3.13.2012)

Mrsfroberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
Crew&West
Registered Users
Formerly: Crewsmom
seller

Re: 1500 mile road trip...

Are they rear facing or forward facing? Besides the obvious with the baby. Only asking because yes dvd's are good Are you driving during the day or night?

Can you leave EARLY morning like 4-5am? It gives you about 2-3hrs of darkness and they might sleep. Carry them to the car, buckle them up and go! Maybe pack or stop for breakfast let them get out and eat, talk, play, etc then go for it again.

ETA: coffee for you! haha

Last edited by Crew&West; 04-19-2011 at 12:49 PM. Reason: adding
Crew&West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
Mrsfroberg
Registered Users

The older 2 are forward facing Yes, my 2 year old is a monster and is weighing in at 39 pounds (car seat goes to 40 rear facing!)

Since it's just me I'm not so sure how well I'd do leaving so early! Maybe I could do it one of the days.... If they give me problems sleeping in the hotel, early mornings are out of the question!

Alli: loving wife to my geeky Air Force Computer Engineer , Brandon
Mommy to: Audrey (2.10.07), William (2.16.09), and Eloise (8.10.10)
Maxwell & Charlotte (3.13.2012)

Mrsfroberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Audio books are also a good idea. And fun kids' music. My kids love listening to the different VeggieTales CD's (On the Road with Bob and Larry is a favorite). For the baby, just take a few toys, board books, etc. She'll probably spend a good part of the time watching stuff out the windows.

I would make sure you pack plenty of snacks -- fruits/fruit cups, granola bars, etc. My kids hardly ever eat when we stop. Typically we stop so they can run around and then they snack in the car.
tallanvor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:20 PM   #5
BabyD'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

We're getting ready to move 1800 miles away (and are extending our trip to 2200 total miles so we can visit family on the way). DH will be with me and we only have 2 kids, but I'm watching this thread for ideas to entertain my almost 2 yr old DD (DS will only be 4 months). Good luck mama! You are brave
Old 04-19-2011, 04:27 PM   #6
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Color Wonder is magical stuff, as are stickers and legos. Yes, legos make a mess. But some kids will play with them for hours. When we were kids, my mom always packed a big bucket of legos for us.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #7
3Xblessed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DVD player, books, gameboys (or leapster) and tons of snacks. My kids eat like monsters when we are on the road. I often do a ziplock baggie of homemade trail mix (cheerios and dried fruit). Takes them a while to eat it.

We leave around 5am most of the time and then stop somewhere for breakfast (the one meal my kids always eat).
Old 04-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #8
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would add more time. If I added right that is 20hrs. We make a 1200 mile road trip in 21-24 hrs with DD!!!! Extra stops. Especially if 4 year old is PL'd/PLing.
We do it straight through but we don't make extra stops to rest in that time frame. Google Maps has our trip at 19 1/2hrs btw. And this was with ex and I..not me alone.

Other than that I think you have great ideas. Make sure as much as possible of the stuff is new. Maybe even attach soft toys to your babies carseat handle if it is allowed to be up(some say yes and some seats say no). So the others can help the baby stay entertained if needed.

Breaking it up will help, etc. Though be prepared for day 3 of them not wanting back in the car. My DD at age 6 did that to my mom and I.

Oh I just thought about this to. My mom and I drove in 09. We ended up doing it in 3 days because my DD freaked out at night driving during t-storms. We drove 4 hrs first day...mom came in picked us up that day and we ended up with a 3 hr delay due to a flat. Drove 15hrs the next day we were trying to make it in that night but t-storm made it impossible. Next day was 2 or so hrs. So that is a total of 21hrs just on the road.