Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-19-2011, 06:34 AM   #41
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:
Re: Why do I always feel like a bad mom ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumkinsmommy View Post
I don't blame anyone for not going during flu season unless needed. For the well checks I am mainly talking about things like checking the organs, eyes, head circumference and so forth. We are lucky in that our doctor has 2 entrances and the patients don't share rooms, as far as sick and well. No offence to anyone else, but Leslie you are way above the average person as far as knowledge and capability go.
Thanks!

I wish our doc has separate entrances. There is a sick and a well waiting area but they are divided by a fish tank and for some reason every time we are in there the sick kids are running all over. Our doc also has a question line which is AWESOME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs View Post
Its all subjective on how you look at it. I would never give my child breastmilk given our situation - technically we did try and he refused it. If you are specifically calling it "artificial," you are using it as a term to degrade. Bottomline, the doctor in this situation went overboard with saying this child is failure to thrive regardless of what the baby was fed and that is the issue to me.
The word artificial is certainly not meant to degrade any more than artificial sweetener is meant to be offensive. The most common definition of artificial is "made by human skill". I don't see how that is offensive.

Advertisement

Last edited by Joyful Tie Dyes; 04-19-2011 at 06:37 AM.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:16 AM   #42
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

sounds like it's time to get rid of the doctor.

there are ones out there that will agree with you on things.

My kids see someone that could careless when I bring them in... Doesn't care or harass me that I don't want them vaccinated and is okay with everything I'm doing.
We are very much on the same page I guess.

It's nice to not have to worry about what I'm going to say everytime they go into a checkup. (a couple times the first year and once a year after that)

Good luck.
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:23 AM   #43
Terra76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas

For the record, when I used the term "Artificial baby milk" It was a direct repeat of what the dr told me. I have bf'ed all my babies but absolutely do not look down on or fault anyone who chooses to or needs to Formula feed. The ultimate goal is that baby is fed and happy!
Terra76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:31 PM   #44
aerobebe1421
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggymiamore View Post
Do NOT add white foods to her diet! They aren't healthy and you're doing an awesome job mama, find a new doc!

I got the same crap you did when we saw a different ped from our normal ped (he didn't have any openings). She basically freaked out on me about my son not eating enough solids and how I needed to stop breastfeeding and get him onto formula. He's been in the 5-15% range, but he's following the curve, is happy, and a healthy eater. I'm not worried about it. His reg ped isn't either. Take her advice with a grain of salt and find someone else.
expecting someone new 11.14
aerobebe1421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:02 PM   #45
pcjs
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra76 View Post
Thanks mamas

For the record, when I used the term "Artificial baby milk" It was a direct repeat of what the dr told me. I have bf'ed all my babies but absolutely do not look down on or fault anyone who chooses to or needs to Formula feed. The ultimate goal is that baby is fed and happy!
That is what I thought you said. But, its just not an good use of the term, especially to tell someone to transition and at that age they should be pulling away (although I don't know as my son refuses to slow down and I don't care so I keep giving him formula). Really, the doctor sounds nuts. Change and don't listen to a thing that doctor said. If your child is failure to thrive, then as you can see, so are about 1/2 the kids here.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:52 PM   #46
Aub's
Registered Users
seller

Location: Cali Born and Raised But Transplanted To Albany Oregon...
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmisterkitty View Post
Find a new ped. My ped and I don't always see eye to eye, but if he ever started talking down to me like I was a horrible parent, I would jump ship immediately. Doesn't sound like your child is anywhere out of normal range and it's not like anything monumental happened in between visits. She likely would have said the same things even if you HAD been seen sooner.
This, I would not put up with being talked to like that when I was taking care of my kids the way I want. Your not harming your child in any way, it's just your belifes are different than your Dr's and you need to find one that will work with you in the way you want to be raising your child
Aubree, Proud Mama To 7 Little Hellion's, Wife To My Sexy Baker Tyler Crunchy, Tattooed, Pierced, Dreddy, Baby Wearing, Extended Rear Facing, AP Parenting, Circumcising, No Longer Vaxing, Mama To An Autistic/ADHD Boy And Dam Proud Of It
Aub's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:03 PM   #47
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would be looking for a new Dr if at all possible. My Ped's had never made me feel bad for anything including when I didn't know DD has strep and scarlet fever!!! She was eating normal, no complaints, 22 mos old. How was I to know!?!

Oh and then DD was born failure to thrive and was her whole first year or so..wasn't in 25% til almost 2 I think it was. She was 19 lbs at 1 year old! She was born barely on the charts at 6lbs 6oz.
My niece who I basically raised first year was born 8lbs 1oz and at a year was 19lbs also!
So starting heavy means nothing.