Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-26-2006, 07:00 AM   #11
Kellyd
Registered Users

Re: Who's been induced?

I had a non medicated induction with my last child- and since it went so well they are planning the same with this pregnancy. They induced me because my second delivery was just a little over 2 hours, and they and I didn't want a repeat of that outside the hospital on the risk that if I went into labor on my own that it would be even shorter and we might not make it to the hospital. I did not have cervadil or pitocin either one. They admitted me in early morning then the midwife stripped my membranes and broke my water. We had agreed that if I was not contracting well on my own within 8 hours that we would start Pitocin at the minimal dosage, but I didn't have to do that. I was contracting well and regularly within 3 hours and delivered 3 hours after contractions started.

Having said that- they also said that you have to be basically ready for labor anyway for this to work. Likely if I was a week or more away from labor on my own it would have never worked- but I always like to share the story because I think there are so many other women out there who could be induced this way and are not.

Advertisement

Kellyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:13 AM   #12
zonapellucida
Registered Users
seller

Location: Diligently working on getting out of the hellish state of FL
My Mood:

My induction just used pitocin. I went in the am and had baby by early eve
Old 06-26-2006, 07:26 AM   #13
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I went in at 5:30am...they started pitocin around 7:30am...the dr. broke my water around 8:30 and the baby was born at 11:51am. It was so quick and easy for me. I was only 38 weeks as well but I guess she was cooked enough because she tried coming out before they were ready and she had to be held in so they could set up.

For me, It was an enjoyable experience. I hope you're goes great as well!!!! Good luck mama!

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:41 AM   #14
IsaMama
Registered Users

Ok... I don`t really want to worry the mama here, but it can be super fast or pretty long. I was induced twice.
The first time (42 weeks), they used the Cervidil tampon first in the morning. I went from 0 contractions to 2 minutes apart in matter of two hours. Spent the entire day and evening with contractions but not much dilation. By 7 pm I took the epidural and spent the night hooked on it and pitocin . I had my baby by high forceps delivery at 10 am the next morning after pushing for more than 3 hours. The epidural wasn`t working anymore.

The second time, they still used the Cervidil in the morning. Immediately had contractions ever 2 minutes non stop from 9 am to 11 pm without a break and no dilatation ! It was a nightmare ! Contractions stopped altogether without knowing why (what a relief!). I had a bit of sleep and at 7 am the next morning, they`ve started me on pitocin drip. Strangely, the contractions were bigger and closer apart, but less painful than the day before. It was ok, until the water broke (not much water left). I was scared of the pitocin drip but overall it was better than the cervidil. Still took the epidural around 7pm and had my baby at 10:20pm (same hour than the first but at night) after pushing for ... I don`t know, 10 minutes ? lol . Again... the epidural didn`t work long but it was just enough to stop a bit of the back pain.
IsaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:53 AM   #15
hunterNkarter
www.DinkerandGiggles.com
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

With my first I had gestestional diabetis so I was induced on my due date at 8pm at 1am they had to stop everything cause the back labor was so intense and call the doc in for my epi. the nurses had never seen someone go that fast into such intense labor I never did have him until 11:11pm the next night after 6 hours of intense pushing. Now that I live in a city all the docs here say they can't believe after what they saw in my charts that they didn't do a csec

Just a warning be prepared for FAST pain. With my second I went naturally a month early and was able to 'build' up to the actual birth and well lets just say we ALMOST had him in the car.
Baby #3 born naturally on Feb 2nd! I Blog
My Feedback: DiaperPin
ISO: SANITY IHA: Not nearly enough PP/RME!
hunterNkarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 03:38 PM   #16
*~Mindy~*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

got to the hospital at 8s something pm, kept having to do other stuff before i went upstairs cause my mom didnt listen, but..whatever.
got upstairs about 9, started iv around 1020 or so. got the foley (ball catheter thing) at 11 something, it was out in 20 mins. didnt "hurt" exactly, but i could definitely feel it stretching my cervix and feel it coming out and it was a very strong uncomfortableness if that makes any sense?? i kept being bugged that i was getting an epi and needed to do it then. kept argueing no. she broke water at 5 or 6 something, around 10am they put an internal contraction monitor in (THAT. HURT. its a little tube thing they shove inside your uterus beside the babys head... ) and i had him at almost 2 pm.
i know im missing something but i dunno what right now...
i was over 42 weeks too and i dreaded having pitocin because all i hear are horror stories of how the contractions come on hard and fast and a lot of times dont get you anywhere, etc, i was in labor (as in having contractions) 14 hours and only the last 2 or so hurt, and the thinggy was going really high on the strength meter thing for almost the whole time, so i dunno but boy am io glad it wasnt all that horrid!!
*~Mindy~* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 03:50 PM   #17
kittkat398
Registered Users
seller

I was induced when I went past 42 weeks. I was effaced enough that it was decided I didn't need the prep and went in a 6am for pitocin. It took two days, he was born at 6pm the second day. As far a using the bathroom I just unhooked from the moniter belts and wheeled my IV into the bathroom when I needed. If you get an epidural you generally end up with a catheter so that makes using the bathroom a moot point. Good luck.
kittkat398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:04 PM   #18
Proverbs169
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I was induced for my third baby, but went on my own for the first two (water broke at home). I failed two NSTs and was 3 days overdue - plus I make big babies- so I went right in. I had to have antibiotics as I was strep b +, so they started those, then began pit. They increased it every 30 minutes. The monitor kept losing her hb so they broke my water and put one of those clips on her head. YUCK. But, I began the induction at 1:30 and she was born at 10:15 p.m. I hated it and would never want to be induced again, but in our case it was necessary.
Proverbs169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:49 PM   #19
rebeccah5
Behold: The Official Thread-Killer
seller

My Mood:

I was never induced that way. Both times I was induced via Pitocin IV. With DD I had only dilated to a 2 but was 2 weeks overdue so they started pitocin at about 6am, the Dr. broke my water around lunchtime, and she was born at 6:40 pm. With DS, I was about a week before my due date, but I had dilated to a 4 on my own and was having strong contractions on the day I went to my ob. He "stripped my membranes" and scheduled induction the next morning. Pitocin was started at 7 or so and DS was born at 10:50 am. So I guess it just depends on a lot of factors, I would love to have every labor go as smoothly as DS's, but next time, who knows? Good luck!
Check out my knitting projects here and my stash here
rebeccah5 is offline   Reply With Quote