Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-13-2007, 11:15 AM   #1
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Adoption question - Canada

Does anyone know anything about adoption of Canadian children & brought into the US - is this even possible? DH brought this up the other day... We get both US & Canadian TV here & a commercial came on about finding out about children in I want to say Ontario came on (I think it was TVO or maybe it was the other channel we get not sure) & he suggested looking into adoption through Canada since we will be living so close. I asked my social worker about it - she saids he's never heard of people adopting children from Canada but she's heard of Canadians adopting children from the US.

Anyone know?

Advertisement

Old 06-13-2007, 11:19 AM   #2
Mommy2LivandNoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Adoption question - Canada

Not sure...thats definitely something to look into..sounds interesting. After we have 1 or so more biologically, my husband and I want to adopt internationally...He has 2 sister who were adopted from Belize, C.A....and my brother was adopted..so adoption runs deep.haha....Hopefully you'll get some answers soon!
Old 06-13-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
EvansMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have no idea.
But is there a reason that specifically you'd choose a Canadian child?
Is our adoption system different than the US's?

Usually when people adopt out of their home country, it's from someplace overseas, or a third world country. I've just never heard of a US family adopting from Canada. I'm sure there've been people who've done it.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:20 PM   #4
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvansMomma View Post
I have no idea.
But is there a reason that specifically you'd choose a Canadian child?
Is our adoption system different than the US's?

Usually when people adopt out of their home country, it's from someplace overseas, or a third world country. I've just never heard of a US family adopting from Canada. I'm sure there've been people who've done it.
One reason would be that DH has some Canadian relatives... another would be that Canada would be so close to where we will be living next (travel reasons).

It's just a consideration of many things... nothing that we'd def be doing. It was just brought up in conversation, along w/several other things so I just thought I'd ask this on the forum since I knew there might be some mammas that perhaps would know the answer...

Actually someone PMd me & said they were adopted from Canada many years back so I guess it is possible, or was at one time.

Anyway just curious - hope I didn't offend anyone by asking

ETA: We met all the US's adoption requirements already - we just recently had our adoption fall through when the birth mother decided to parent the child. We are now trying to find our next step (I am not able to have more children = no uterus).

Last edited by CMamma; 06-13-2007 at 12:21 PM.
CMamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:22 PM   #5
EvansMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh no, I was just interested to see the reasons...no offense to me!

I think it's cool, there are kids everywhere from any country that need loving homes - hope you get some answers.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:25 PM   #6
momto2boysinOnt
Registered Users
seller

I don't have the answer to your question, but I do know that if you're wanting to adopt a baby, Canada probably isn't the place to look. I know that waitlists to adopt an infant are extremely long. Many Canadians end up adopting from Asia or South American because it's quicker.

We do have lots of older children looking for adoptive homes. Many of them have been mistreated or have special needs so their parents are unable to care for them. They become "wards of the province" and are placed in foster homes until an adoptive home is available. I have no idea whether it would be possible for someone from out of the country to adopt these children or not.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:50 PM   #7
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto2boysinOnt View Post
I don't have the answer to your question, but I do know that if you're wanting to adopt a baby, Canada probably isn't the place to look. I know that waitlists to adopt an infant are extremely long. Many Canadians end up adopting from Asia or South American because it's quicker.

We do have lots of older children looking for adoptive homes. Many of them have been mistreated or have special needs so their parents are unable to care for them. They become "wards of the province" and are placed in foster homes until an adoptive home is available. I have no idea whether it would be possible for someone from out of the country to adopt these children or not.
Adopting a baby isn't a must for us. We initially had a plan to adopt through social services & the only reason we went for the baby was b/c the mother contacted us through family after hearing that we were wanting to adopt. Otherwise we likely wouldn't have ever pursued an infant. It sort of fell into our laps. Unfortunately for us, the mother chose to parent the baby & I just pray that it works out for her & her life turns around & they are able to make a great family. It's none of my business anymore & now our family moves on & looks for another path towards adoption.

I thought originally, ok, we'll just try and adopt a child in the category "birth to age toddler (say maybe 2 or 3)" and maybe attempt to keep our birth order intact amongst our children... but then I realize that everyone else has that idea as well... so I am sitting here & seeing all of these children that are outside of that category just "sitting" & waiting to be adopted... and alas it never happens... or they are bouncing around through homes, etc.

I'm starting to think that perhaps we should consider an older child, even if only slightly older - maybe preschool age, but it's the consideration of keeping the birth order intact - is that important or not? That's a discussion for me & DH to indulge in deeper I suppose. Or maybe we wait a few years until our children our older & then adopt an older child so it's not an issue... but then our home study will have expired & we must start again... so we will see!

Sorry for the tangent. Just exploring!
Old 06-13-2007, 02:06 PM   #8
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

If you are looking to adopt older children, check into Saskatchewan. There are alot of kids in the system there. Most will be Native and a number of them are FAS kids(of varying degrees). I went to school with some FAS kids who you'd never know were FAS