Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #11
pcjs
Registered Users

Re: Toy OBSESSED.. ugh

Give him to DAD when he has the tantrum if dad will not stop buying stuff and not support your concern.

We've been trying to be very careful and our son doesn't have a clue (YET) for some reason about asking/demanding and we stroll through the toy section. He's only had a fit a few times and that was with grandma teasing him by handing him toys and then taking them back as she will not buy him much and if she does it goes to her house and he's rarely there. (I asked her to stop and she refuses - ugggg). If I buy a toy while we are out, I keep it on top of the stroller after I grab it or put it in the cart (I do stroller and cart). Then, he gets it when he gets home.

(we also buy 1/2 the toys for us more than him)

We have the problem now - he only wants our "toys" and "books" even though he has his own. I have learned to put things up/away during the day and things like the ipad just come out at night or other special/specific times.

Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 10:00 PM   #12
agalanto
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjs View Post
Give him to DAD when he has the tantrum if dad will not stop buying stuff and not support your concern.

We've been trying to be very careful and our son doesn't have a clue (YET) for some reason about asking/demanding and we stroll through the toy section. He's only had a fit a few times and that was with grandma teasing him by handing him toys and then taking them back as she will not buy him much and if she does it goes to her house and he's rarely there. (I asked her to stop and she refuses - ugggg). If I buy a toy while we are out, I keep it on top of the stroller after I grab it or put it in the cart (I do stroller and cart). Then, he gets it when he gets home.

(we also buy 1/2 the toys for us more than him)

We have the problem now - he only wants our "toys" and "books" even though he has his own. I have learned to put things up/away during the day and things like the ipad just come out at night or other special/specific times.

You know what will happen.. the cause of the tantrum is the want for toys.. so dad will buy him toys! haha

I think we're going to have to work on all this. I have no problem saying no and dealing with the melt down.. However, other people are a whole different story.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:26 AM   #13
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

my 5 y/o dd just wants to catch bugs LOL. So every time she sees a new "bug catcher/bug home/etc" she HAS to have it, but other toys she doesn't care about. And bugs are free in the yard lol
Old 04-21-2011, 07:33 AM   #14
mommyfrog
Registered Users

I've had kids like that. The easiest way I've found is to not tell them no. Tell them "Oh, that looks cool. Let's put it on your list." Or "Wow, that looks like a lot of fun. You can save your money and buy it later." Usually they forget about it later and when they have a little money saved they buy what ever catches their fancy at the store. But sometimes they really do want it, remember, save up some money, and buy it.

ETA: I have even had success with this in the store with my youngest. He'll want something and start to throw a fit. I can get down on his level and ask him where his money is. He'll usually check his pockets and of course find nothing. So I tell him he can't buy it without any money so we'll have to come back another time with his money and buy it. He doesn't even have any money and it works!!
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)

Last edited by mommyfrog; 04-21-2011 at 07:36 AM.
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote