Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2007, 10:14 AM   #21
my2babyboys
Registered Users
seller

Re: How old was your DC when he/she started talking in small sentences?

Oscar has been in extensive speech therapy for for almost 2 years and is starting speech and occupational therapy at childrens soon ( along with his current therapy at school ) because his speech is so bad- he has verbal dispraxia

Matthew is also starting speech therapy and they guessed that he has around 100 words that he says all the time. Not including displacement words. ( like "nana" instead of Elmo )
The longest things he says are
"night night stuffy, and stitch and puppy"
"daddy, daddy, where are you"
"matthew bubble bath"
"I dont know where the ball at"

and a few more but you get the idea. He is 28 months and he started saying those sentances about 2 months ago. They diagnosed him with just a minor speech delay and are guessing 6 months of speech 1x a week should be all he needs.

Advertisement

Last edited by my2babyboys; 06-11-2007 at 10:15 AM.
my2babyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:05 PM   #22
AddysMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

see, he is still younger than my neice and has better vocab.
i wish ym sister would get her head out of her butt and realize that her daughter NEEDS the help thats being offered to her. FOR FREE!
really, if you think, or have heard from someone else (like a ped, etc) that your childs speech is not at the level where it should be developmentally, PLEASE talk to early intervention. PLEASE accept the help. children NEED language. there is a cutoff point when the window of opportunity closes and new language becomes harder to learn/use.
PLEASE dont ignore your gut feelings if your child has delays.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:30 PM   #23
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Small sentences just before 3 1/2 years old. She had a severe speech delay and so it was really hard to understand her til about 3 and even then it was still really hard. After just 5 mos of preschool she was doing so much better and talking in complete small sentences. At 2 1/2 she was at a 12-15 mos level. At 3 she was at a 15 most to 18 mos level. So she was quite behind. She had EI from 2 1/2 til 3.
I wouldn't worry to much unless you really think it is an issue. Try and find someone outside of the family to see if they can understand them. That was what our clue. We had a first steps worker coming frequently and she mentioned it and so we had her tested. And sure enough. We could understand her but others couldn't. kwim?

Old 06-13-2007, 10:27 AM   #24
ZooCrew10
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

well how small of sentences are you referring to? My 18 month old can speak in two and three word sentences but that's it right now.
ZooCrew10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:08 PM   #25
Bukawww
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have one of each. Both girls. My first could speak in 2-3 word sentences at 11 months...blessing or curse, I do not know...she is 4.5 now and is finally starting to catch up to herself (intellectual vs emotional). My 2nd dd can get her point across and understands us, but usually only uses 1 word at a time to describe what she needs (ie: Mama, peez, sippy while pointing to her hand). She also says no sometimes when she means yes. She's a lefty so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. She will be 2 end of July. She is also very good at holding a pen and scribbling (left brain, right brain, I don't know)...
DS WAHM thread
Bukawww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:14 PM   #26
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Landon is 2 (turned in February) and is now finally saying quite a few sentences. He had tubes that month, before then he couldn't hear anything hardly. Just in the last two weeks we've been hearing "I no want to" "I get de door" "no gock, let go!" (Gock= Jack btw) etc. He's really starting to do well.

Some kids just talk later than others. If you're worried, I'd just have his hearing checked and get his speech evaluated. But I'm sure he's okay!
Old 06-13-2007, 12:15 PM   #27
drenotdoctor
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ds was a late talker, then he rgressed and went to nothing. Diagnosed with autism at 19 months, talking more now at 3.5 yrs. dd talked early, is 23 months now, and surpasses ds with her language skills. every child is different. Your ds may qualify for speech therapy, and is usually covered by insurance, or a state program. (when we lived in GA, it was called "Babies Can't Wait", and was completely free to us.) They weren't just for kids with autism. They helped with free therapy for all children with ANY kind of delay. I would ask you ped, or call your local state early intervention program, and they will asses your ds for free.

HTH!
Old 06-13-2007, 12:23 PM   #28
foodie.yarnie.mommie.
Registered Users
Formerly: dimibella
seller

My Mood:

DD is 19mo and says one sentence, " I want...." with varying words on the end, she really just started talking a lot in the past month.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:30 PM   #29
rainbowbrite812
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ummm...other than "all done" Macky is still using one word for stuff...unless he copies what we say, he'll be 2 in Aug.

charlie was talking pretty good by his 2nd bday.

Max comprehends what we are saying...i just think he's a bit lazy because he'll repeat if we ask him to, but he won't do it on his own

10% off code for Oliver's Labels, perfect for back to school! use code KBPG0808
rainbowbrite812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:10 PM   #30
dessismama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My oldest one had a severe speech delay and even with therapy did not speak in sentences until 3 years old. My second one spoke in 3-5 word sentences by the time he was 18 months old. My third one said 5 words until 21 months when she exploded in long complicated speech. My fourth one has been an early talker like my second one, although not as advanced. All are different!!
dessismama is offline   Reply With Quote