View Poll Results: What carrier is best for an older toddler?
Beco 7 11.67%
Ergo 16 26.67%
Baby/toddler hawk 4 6.67%
Mei Tai 21 35.00%
Sling 5 8.33%
Other- post please 7 11.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-13-2007, 09:36 PM   #21
robynthemama@yahoo.com
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What carrier for an older toddler??

I LOVE my Ergo. Not as cool looking as some other carriers maybe (for us funky types) - but FUNCTIONAL. I got mine when my DD was 6 months, and did both front and back carries, and ALSO constantly use it for my 3 yo - who is 27 lbs. I have even had my 4 1/2 yr old in it fine a few times! I have also used it on multiple occasions with my little one on the front in a mei tai, and my 3yo in back in the ergo! I just bought a second one - got tired of running to the van to grab it when I needed it in the house, or forgetting it at home when I am out and needed it~ I also love my mei tais and onbuhimo, but the kicker for me is the ergo's easy on and off - essential for running errands with 4 little kids, and good for my just turned one y.o. who likes being up and down. I will even throw her in it when I get her out of the van at home, if I have groceries or stuff to bring in!

Robyn

Advertisement

robynthemama@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:31 PM   #22
rachaelmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 23 month old is 25lbs, and he loves my platex hip hammock. Its not the one that has been recalled! He goes everywhere with me in it!
Old 06-13-2007, 10:36 PM   #23
faithmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have an Ergo that I use for both my 5 month old and my 28th month old sons. I use it in the front for the baby and he loves it and then put my 30 pound 2yo on my back and he loves it. It is awesome for grocery shopping because I can strap my 2 yo on and if I have to I can still hold my 5 mo in my arms. My DH has carried around our 38 pound almost 4 yo in it as well.
I love everything about the Ergo except the loose ends of the straps which are kind of tacky and when I use it as a front carrier it takes some wrestling to get it hooked in the back, I usually have my older kids buckle it for me.

faithmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:54 PM   #24
Jewelgurl137
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had a meitai, but it didn't hold my 2 1/2 year old well. She was too big for it. I sold it and bought a Beco, and it is great for both of my kids. My son is 10 months old and like 25 pounds, and my daughter is 2 1/2 years old and like over 30 pounds (was 30 pounds at her 2 year appointment...so I dunno her current weight. LOL!).

Anyways, the Beco carries them both great. Their weight is evenly distributed, so I have carried my 2 1/2 year old for an hour straight while vacuuming, dusting, and doing dishes. (She is scared of the vacuum for some reason, so she will yell for me to turn it off unless she is in the Beco on my back. ) I have also gone on long walks with DS in it and had no problems carrying him at all.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:48 AM   #25
mommy2abigail
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Definately a woven wrap. They are spendy, upwards of $100, but you can get a used one for a little less.
1.Extremely versitlile, you can do virtually every position with a wrap. Tons of different ways to carry, so you can experiment and find what is most comfy for you and your body type.
2.DH or DP can use it, and you dont have to get a different size!
3.Excellent for newborns through preschool aged kids.

The possible down side is that there is a learning curve, but really once you do it a few times, it's easy peasy! Thebabywearer.com is an awesome resource for types of wraps, ways to carry/tie, and they also have a FSOT board! HTH
mommy2abigail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:19 AM   #26
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am not sure what catagory it falls into but I LOVE my Babies Beyond Borders My Favorite Deluxe. It blows the Ergo and other Mei Tai's outta the water!! I hear she has improved the shoulders straps too and this was my ONLY complaint with the carrier before. I love the wasit belt since I can carry my son a longgggg time with no pain or discomfort at all and I have back/disc/neck issues! The wrap style straps are much easier for me since there are no buckles to snap.. I go up and over my shoulders,under my arms,cross under sons bum and tie in front but there are lots of different options.

I have used the baby deluxe for awhile now and it still works just fine (I have carried my 7 year old in it too!) since my son sleeps in a back carry I am going to upsize to her toddler I think since at 13 months he is finally to the point where he doesn't have quite as much head support. I bet you would really like a baby deluxe for both your newborn and toddler as long as he doesn't sleep long periods on your back

Last edited by ~happy2Bamommy~; 06-14-2007 at 07:24 AM.
~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:21 AM   #27
~happy2Bamommy~
Four things come not back: The spoken word; the sped arrow; the past life; and the neglected opportunity.
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh,link is www.babiesbeyondborders.com and you can look for any type of carrier on www.thebabywearer.com the FSOT board is great!

~happy2Bamommy~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:30 AM   #28
hackermd
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~happy2Bamommy~ View Post
you can look for any type of carrier on www.thebabywearer.com the FSOT board is great!

I just got a massive headache from visiting that FSOT board just now!

WAY TOO MANY things!!!
hackermd is offline   Reply With Quote