Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-24-2011, 05:18 PM   #11
jenn5388
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question about drop side cribs

I got mine, it's on the recall list, and yes, I'll be using it for this baby.

From my understanding, the babies that died because of this the parents didn't put it together correctly. I'm not worried about it, I know mine is put together right. I never use the drop side anyway. As for the mattress support, my 56lb DD can lay in it now and it doesn't do a thing.

Advertisement

Last edited by jenn5388; 04-24-2011 at 05:22 PM.
jenn5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:23 PM   #12
remrath
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had a drop side and got the repair for the base of it (stronger support for the mattress), but never got the repair kit for the drop b/c I like the drop. The only problems there have actually been have been people using broken cribs Like the drop system was cracked, loose, or improperly installed. I don't have my children in it past 18 mo and since I can hardly lift and push correctly and with enough force to the middle, I know they can't pull and lift directly in the middle of it. i will continue to look for cracks or loosening when I put it back together as a crib. That's just my
Wife to Nick, 10 years now. Mom to Lydia (c/s) 6/6/07, Arwen (HBAC) 6/3/09, Silas (HBAC) 7/2/12 and Archer HBAC 10/15/14. Jesus loving, CDing, BFing, non vaxing , homeschooling SAHM who loves my new community is Spring Hill, TN
remrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:37 PM   #13
pcjs
Registered Users

Ours was not on the recall list - Restoration Hardware Baby but they send us a repair kit and we finally got around to using it. I'm not worried about it as if you actually read the deaths, they were all really sad, but most were old/misused cribs with poor repair jobs. I forget how many, but it was very rare for a new crib to have a problem and I think much of it has to do with the install. We were supposed to have "professional" installation and twice they did it wrong and we had problems... third replaced crib I said forget it and banned them from putting it together but they partially did and it was still wrong. So, watch how it is put together and double check everything. I freaked out at the recall and would have pitched our crib regardless of money but after reading those deaths, some of them made sense although they never should have happened.

http://www.cpsc.gov/LIBRARY/FOIA/FOIA02/os/EpiCrib.pdf

Not to scare anyone but read this - there are lots of faulty installs, stripped screws, older/free cribs, etc.

Every few months just make sure everything is secure and tightened. Your mattress fits properly and all that.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:40 PM   #14
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

I think on youtube was where I saw the videos about how the accidents were happening.

It seems like the bottom corners of the drop side were coming off the bottom rails and then the kid was pushing it out and getting themselves wedged in there.

So I regularly give a good tug on the bottom of the drop side to make sure it's not gotten lose or anything over time. The parts on my crib are all metal so I keep a screwdriver in the dresser drawer and make sure all the parts are tight from time to time too.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:13 AM   #15
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Remember, if you have a Simplicity or Graco made by Simplicity with a metal mattress support, you can take it back to the store and get a full refund in store credit. It's because of the mattress supports bending and breaking. Here's a link to the page. They had a lot of recalls and went out of business. There are cribs, basinetts, and play yards on there. http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/p...09260list.html April 2010 is where it says all cribs with a metal mattress support.

I had a dropside one and got the repair kit when it came out. My sister had a non-dropside crib made by them. I returned mine and she wasn't too concerned until she lifted up the mattress. It looked perfectly fine with the mattress in but several bars were bent and one was bent to the point of almost being broke. She said her dd never jumped in the crib and that her oldest never climbed in. I'm guessing they did something when she wasn't looking, but a crib shouldn't do that with kiddos that young in it, even if they jump in it.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)

Last edited by mommyfrog; 04-25-2011 at 08:15 AM.
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:20 AM   #16
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyfrog
Remember, if you have a Simplicity or Graco made by Simplicity with a metal mattress support, you can take it back to the store and get a full refund in store credit. It's because of the mattress supports bending and breaking. Here's a link to the page. They had a lot of recalls and went out of business. There are cribs, basinetts, and play yards on there. http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/p...09260list.html April 2010 is where it says all cribs with a metal mattress support.
i have this exact crib that is pictured in the recall notice i had it given to me do you think if i bring it to Walmart they would replace it?

update yes i took it to Walmart and came home with a new crib thank you for posting this now when DD goes im a full-size crib it will be a safe one.

Last edited by Truckerswife; 04-25-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Truckerswife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #17
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for all the other information! My crib is a Delta brand, and it has a wooden mattress support, so that helps. Dh always checks to see if it's tight when he's in there, and my 40 lb toddler is in it now and it shows no signs of a problem. So I guess as long as I keep it in good repair it should be fine right?
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:31 PM   #18
Vivhop98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know if anyone else feels really frustrated that these companies weren't responsible for their products after the recall other than mailing a junky piece of plastic to the consumers to make them safe and if they aren't able to be sold, what does that say? I am frustrated that I paid $400 for a crib only three years ago along with a matching rocking chair/ottaman that I could have sold as a set after dd goes to a big girl bed, but now I basically just have to throw it away, which will be about $50 for my trash place to pick up. How wasteful.
Vivhop98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:33 PM   #19
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If your crib is recalled, no matter how long ago, and if it did not have "just a repair kit needed" you should be able to take it back to any store that sold it, no receipt needed, for full refund. It is because it is a danger that companies have to do refunds.

I found a pair of shoes my friend gave us as hand me downs were recalled. Even though it had been some time, and they had been worn, she took them back for a full refund, all that was needed was them to look up the recall link. Stores has access to this stuff.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:35 PM   #20
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivhop98 View Post
I don't know if anyone else feels really frustrated that these companies weren't responsible for their products after the recall other than mailing a junky piece of plastic to the consumers to make them safe and if they aren't able to be sold, what does that say? I am frustrated that I paid $400 for a crib only three years ago along with a matching rocking chair/ottaman that I could have sold as a set after dd goes to a big girl bed, but now I basically just have to throw it away, which will be about $50 for my trash place to pick up. How wasteful.
Re-check the latest recall, even with the fix you might still be able to return the crib to the store.

Trust me I feel you, we have a recalled crib as well, the only reason we continue to use it, is because we have it sidecar to our bed so the dropside is not attached to the bed. But we might have to junk it in the future too
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote