Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2007, 06:58 PM   #1
Rocket
Registered Users

My Mood:
when did your kids start talking?

I mean.. really meant what they're saying. My DS is 14 mo now and so far I haven't heard anything from him. He makes sounds like dada (but doesn't look at daddy and duh.. but that's about it. We're bilingual by the way.

Advertisement

Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:15 PM   #2
maggie_may
Happy Knits
seller

My Mood:
Re: when did your kids start talking?

My DD is 19 months and we're still waiting here. She was a preemie and had some serious problems so her developmental progress is kind different though. With her it's like whenever it happens is good but that doesn't mean I don't worry! She currently says, duck, quack, car, tree, hot, and maybe a couple of others but she really needs to be encouraged. She doesn't say mama or dada (which makes us sad). I guess I'm not really any help.

She has a speech therapist who we haven't seen in like a year (saw her for feeding issues before). I might make an appointment soon.
maggie_may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:17 PM   #3
Rocket
Registered Users

My Mood:

On different note, my DD is now 30 months and she's been seeing speech therapist since Nov06. Her vocab just grows tremedously over the past few months. Now she says a LOT but still needs development. So, I wonder if my DS will be the same way.
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:06 PM   #4
betty_joanne
Registered Users
seller
seller

At the 1-2 range they may not being saying words but they sure are storing them.
At 20 months dd says shoe/s, go, no, two, three, diaper, eat,tickle tickle tickle and baby. There are some i am probably missing or questionable(i think she says cheese but it's hard to tell).
Just as important is what they understand you saying. DD can point to her eyes, hair, nose, eyes, bellybutton, teeth, toes etc. when prompted(where is your ____?). I can sign eat,drink, etc. and she understands.
I think if there really is a proplem you would know at or around the age of 2.5-3. If they only say 1-2 words(and rarely say those words) at that age you should have them evaluated and see if they can go into an early childhood program.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:14 PM   #5
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS is 17 months and still doesnt talk. Well we've heard "Hi" a handful of times but thats all.. and he can say "Mama" but its strictly babbling he doesnt actually associate it with me. He was a preemie (35 weeks) but I think theres more to it than just that alone. He's been seeing a speech therapist (for feeding issues) for several months now and has improved tremendously in the feeding area. Actually the therapist and I talked this morning and beginning next week she is going to start focusing on speech skills. But seriously I feel like most of his communicating is growling noises Oh he does use some signs.. more, lion, eat, all done and milk.. but only when he feels like it (I think he got my stubborn streak )
Old 06-14-2007, 09:14 PM   #6
meghann8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

None of my kids have talked till 18 months, and only one has a speech delay.
meghann8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:32 PM   #7
jlanni
Registered Users

My Mood:

my #2 ds started talking in 2 word sentances by 12 months, said his first word at 5 months, now at 5 years he never shuts up and can probably talk better than i can. [he was read to from womb to current]

my #3 dd said her first word at 4 months "dadeee" and was talking in 2 word sentances [gimme ball] by 9 months! she'll talk your ears off about anything and everything!

my #5 ds is 5 months and started babbling at 3 months [da, duh, and this really nerve racking screaming laugh] at 5 months he says mama, boba, dada, papa and just sprouted 2 lower front teeth! He also crawls [army crawl] and has been since 4 months. dr's are astounded! also by his growth, ds weighs 23lbs and is 28" and has 14" thighs, eats stage 3 baby food [1 time a day 1/4 of jar] and can finger feed himself. lil mama braggin... sorry
Old 06-14-2007, 09:32 PM   #8
VioletteCrumble
Registered Users
seller

Mine is 19 months. He generally communicates with sign language and noises and a few words. When he acquires a new word he says it non stop, and then when he gets a new one we never hear the previous words anymore. His ped recommended therapy to ensure he can keep up with his peers. He thinks that by 18 months toddlers should have 20 words and put two together. According to what I studied in grad school (I was receiving my masters in special ed when I got pregnant) this standard is far from the norm. The books I read mentioned about 6 words by 19 months. I think that the experts vary as much as the children do.

What I believe is important is whether or not your child can communicate his needs to you. Often a child who is very closely attended to will have language delays because her needs are always met right away. There is no need to ask for a bottle if mommy hands you one the minute you wake up.

Bilingual homes generally produce children who are extremely adept verbally once they are school age. Your child has a great advantage over children like mine from monolingual homes