Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-04-2011, 07:27 AM   #1
Mama2ManyBoyz
Registered Users
seller

Licensing nearly complete!

We are one home visit away from having our foster care license in hand! We were shocked to hear that our background checks came back quickly...I believe in under four weeks! We had been told that they are backing up for months lately. Clearly someone is helping us out up there!

Our PRIDE classes end tomorrow and we have the last of our paperwork to give to our caseworker when she comes out again. We are shooting for Friday but otherwise early next week. They said they hear back from the state pretty quick, but also allow placement if their is an emergency or a good match without that final step or two.

The timing is incredible. My stepson has been dealing with some issues and reaching out for help. One caseworker we spoke with seems to think he's getting ready to come out with the abuse he's been dealing with. We were told we would likely have priority placement of his sisters if and when he opens up to DCFS. This was never our intentions in becoming foster parents, but the timing is blowing me away and I'm just so grateful we will have our license if it does in fact come to that. The last thing he needs to be worrying about is where his sisters will end up.

Unreal.

Advertisement

Old 05-04-2011, 07:57 AM   #2
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Licensing nearly complete!

WOW! Sounds like things are going great for you...I hope they continue to go that way. It is amazing how when we are doing the right thing God seems to help things work out better than we expected sometimes...
cowangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:59 AM   #3
ihvnangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow the timing is amazing. I hope that your stepson can really open up. Do you know if he has indeed been dealing with abuse at home? Poor boy, how old is he? How old are the girls? Congrats on being nearly done and licensed, that is SO exciting!! We are just a few steps behind you... We have 3 sessions left 7,8, &9. so that will take up all of this Sat, and half of the following Sat. Our CW is typing up our homestudy now. He just needs to ocme and interview the kiddos next week and we will be just about done. I do need to get some baby items (cribs, carseats, etc...) but other then that we are good.. Let us know when you get that license in hand and keep us posted on how placements go... So excited for you, and us!!
Old 05-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #4
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow. How old is he? And his sisters? I have a friend who's fiance is having very similar issues with his two kids' mom. Abusive situation and manipulative mother. They are hoping to finally get full custody of both kids. That would be fabulous if you could have full custody of dss and his sisters. Good luck!
Old 05-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
Mama2ManyBoyz
Registered Users
seller

SS is 11, his sisters are almost 8, and almost 3. We are aware of three previous DCFS cases, two of which were pretty serious, the other we are not even aware of what the issue was. I'm not sure if any of them were actually indicated, but for all we know there are a bunch of other cases. They don't inform us. All signs point to some very serious abuse, but the kind of abuse that can only be proven by SS having the strength to open up to somebody about it.

The timing is just blowing my mind. My only concern at this point is what will happen if we get other placements and then him and his sisters are removed. I think we could get an exception to the six kid rule, because they are siblings. But we are going to take things slow with SS. He is obviously reaching out for help, he left a premade note in his Dad's truck about child abuse and how to protect your child. When we talk to him, he just melts into tears. I think counseling is the next step, but I have no idea how long it would take to come out, if it does.