Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #1
northknoxmomma
Registered Users
seller

Probiotics

Do any of you mama's have your little ones on Probiotics? Jude is definitely having gas issues and reflux, so wanting to here if it is really beneficial or not. I have read that it is great and does wonders and I have also read that you should not put anything in a lo's gut besides breastmilk. Any advice/ suggestions?

Advertisement

Old 05-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
My Sweet Blessings
Registered Users
seller

Re: Probiotics

nope, not yet. My lil one has some gas tummy troubles sometimes so I have been using mylacon (well, target brand) drops here and there when I notice he is more fussy about it.
My Sweet Blessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
ThreadsThatBind
Registered Users
Formerly: Lucy'sMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

No, but we'll be starting them as soon as I order them! I've talked with the dr about it and she sees it as unnecessary, but not harmful either. We'll be starting them to help combat the thrush.

Eta: We're waiting until she's 2 months old. The probiotics are specified for "infants" not "newborns". Our pedi said a newborn is considered birth to 2 or 3 months, depending on who you ask. So we're holding off until then.

Last edited by ThreadsThatBind; 05-03-2011 at 04:40 PM.
ThreadsThatBind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
northknoxmomma
Registered Users
seller

We tried them (Udo's powder) with ds1 and after a couple of days it seemed to make his tummy troubles much worse so we stopped. My mother was telling her acupuncturist today how fussy with gas Jude is and he HIGHLY recommended probiotics, he said that it might get worse before it gets better, that it will take around 3 days to start seeing results. She went ahead and bought us some liquid, and he said just to put a small amount on my nipples before nursing a couple of times a day... I would love to help him out, I hate to see him have such bad gas pain (oh and he struggles to poo every 4-5 days, but is not "constipated"). But, I also don't want to hurt his gut flora since he is so little (6 wks ~9lbs).
Old 05-03-2011, 08:42 PM   #5
lilmissg2
Registered Users
seller

I've been taking probiotics to help with Dylan's gas/tummy issues. We also occasionally use gas drops or gripe water if he seems really uncomfortable. I don't know if his GI tract is maturing or if the probiotics are working but he is a lot less fussy and we having to use the drops a lot less.
lilmissg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:18 PM   #6
wendow
Registered Users
seller

My little guy is a refluxer and on Prevacid. I began giving him Udo's powder to increase the good bacteria since using an antacid allows bad bacteria to flourish. But it did seem to make him tummy hurt so now I don't know what to do. I started with the regular dosing. I'm thinking I might just need to start really small and work up slowly.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #7
zaeaton
Registered Users
seller

What brand probiotics would ya'll recommend?
Old 05-05-2011, 03:58 PM   #8
burgler
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have been giving Kai probiotics twice a day as I was on antibiotics for the incision infection. I don't know if we will continue when I finish the antibiotics. It is just a powder and we put it directly in his mouth. My midwife recommended them.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #9
wendow
Registered Users
seller

With my previous ds, we used Klaire Labs infant probiotic:
http://www.klaire.com/prod/proddetail.asp?id=K-TIF
and Neonate:
http://www.rockwellnutrition.com/HLC...able_p_60.html

I really liked the one from Klaire Labs. I tried the Udo's because it was easier to get (and less expensive) but I may go back to the Klaire Labs one because it never seemed to upset my ds's tummy.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:41 AM   #10
northknoxmomma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendow View Post
With my previous ds, we used Klaire Labs infant probiotic:
http://www.klaire.com/prod/proddetail.asp?id=K-TIF
and Neonate:
http://www.rockwellnutrition.com/HLC...able_p_60.html

I really liked the one from Klaire Labs. I tried the Udo's because it was easier to get (and less expensive) but I may go back to the Klaire Labs one because it never seemed to upset my ds's tummy.
How did you like the Neonate? That is what we got this time, we started yesterday and I am really hoping it doesn't upset his tummy even more. And I agree about Udo's, not our favorite.