Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-05-2011, 09:43 PM   #11
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Preventing hemorrhage in those who are susceptable?

My first two were both bad.

They had to do the pitocin IV, shot, the other shot in the leg, and the other medication that goes in your bottom (lovely).

The third time I was freaked out about it - I was so anemic after my first two births.

They pretreated with medication between the baby's delivery and the placental delivery. I had minimal bleeding. It was a dream.

Advertisement

Old 05-06-2011, 10:08 AM   #12
kimmiepie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for sharing Julie.

I feel confident that once my midwife is here we'll be able to probably prevent any excess bleeding. There's a possibility of me having a hep lock put in place and also getting a shot of pit in the leg prohphilactically (sp? lol basically ahead of time) just in case.

I'm still going to try what I can when pregnant (drinking RRL) and having herbs on hand etc. in case my midwife doesn't make it on time.

Cytotec- I've never heard of it! I didn't need it last time I guess. I could def ask her about having one on hand.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #13
nursekatie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hemorrhaged with my DD about 1L of blood. I didn't have a saline or hep lock in, but they were easily able to get one in and I got3 doses of pitocin (1 injection and 2 doses in the IV fluid they ran).

Part of the problem the last time is that I didn't want to pitocin injection, so until I was already bleeding I made them wait on giving it. With this baby I will be getting a double dose of the pitocin as soon as the baby is delivered and before the placenta is delivered (I hemorrhaged after the placenta delivered even those it was completely intact). Also, I have been drinking nettle tea this time because it is supposed to help stop excessive bleeding from happening.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #14
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursekatie View Post
I hemorrhaged with my DD about 1L of blood. I didn't have a saline or hep lock in, but they were easily able to get one in and I got3 doses of pitocin (1 injection and 2 doses in the IV fluid they ran).

Part of the problem the last time is that I didn't want to pitocin injection, so until I was already bleeding I made them wait on giving it. With this baby I will be getting a double dose of the pitocin as soon as the baby is delivered and before the placenta is delivered (I hemorrhaged after the placenta delivered even those it was completely intact). Also, I have been drinking nettle tea this time because it is supposed to help stop excessive bleeding from happening.
This was like me. My placenta was intact I know for the second birth. The first birth was more of a blur with a lot of blood. Both both times a lot of bleeding and not exact reason why.

The in between pretreating worked really well.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #15
DiaperPalz
Registered Users
Formerly: cjspears26
seller
seller

My dd1 I was at the hopsital and they inserted two cytotec (sp?) capsules into m anus to be absorbed. The bleeding tapppered off, although I was really light headed and can recall blood just streaming down my legs the first time I got up.

DD2 was a homebirth and the mw had known that I did hemmorage with dd1. The hbmw gave me a shot of pit as soon as the placenta was delivered and I clamped right up. I also did placenta smoothies right after birth and I felt NO fatigue from the loss of blood.

Is it possible to get some cytotec or pitocin on hand from your provider just in case??? I am not sure if thats a "drug" that you can have on hand though without a provider who can admin it though but that would be what I would feel safest with due to the amt of blood I loose.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #16
kimmiepie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My last midwife did got me a syringe with pit in it just in case because I was worried about it.
She got there in time though. I will definitely talk to my midwife about the cytotec and the pit injection.

My main focus right now is to take/do things during pregnancy and the weeks leading up to birth that could help prepare my uterus and ward off general hemorrhaging. So far I've red iron, and red raspberry leaf.