Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-05-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
litllegreekmama
Registered Users
seller

Need HG med suggestions. . .

Ok ladies-I'm STILL struggling with HG at 15 weeks and have tried alot of different things. I NEED to get better, I NEED to get functioning again so I can take care of DS again.
I've tried Zofran in all different doses, Reglan, combining Zofran & Reglan together, IV Phenigran, and Vitamin B6. All of these worked a little for a little while-usually enough to keep me from vomiting but not to get me on my feet again without severe nausea. The Phenigran made me so drowsy I passed out and when i came too couldn't keep my eyes open if my life depended on it. I haven't had any side effects from the zofran/reglan but they're just not potent enough for this pregnancy. I can still vomit on them, and even when they "keep" me from vomiting I'm still so nauseated that I end up violently dry heaving.

I have an appt with my Midwife on monday and would like to have some other options to discuss with her as far as meds. Any suggestions on what has helped others get back to NORMAL life again would be muchly appreciated!!

Advertisement

Old 05-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
I feel your pain mama.

Have you tried benedryl, unisom or dramamine? They give me a little relief with the zofran but i alternate them. A few daya of unisom then switch etc.

I have had HG with my last 5 pregnancies and it is just awful. .
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

Re: Need HG med suggestions. . .

I dont have any suggestions. I've done everything you have. Have you tried taking zofran, unisom and b6 together before bed?
Old 05-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #4
mgl
Registered Users
seller
seller

Have you tried the zofran pump? It was what finally helped me. I was able to get a constant dose of zofran, and then get more (a bolus dose) when I needed it. I had several days of iv fluids to get me rehydrated, and that in combination with the pump really helped me. I ended up having my pump turn itself off a couple of times, and I could always tell because I would start to feel worse. I hope you find something that helps soon. It sucks to feel bad all the time.
Old 05-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you're still having severe HG issues after Rx meds, you should look into something else like the pump the PP suggested. There is also a new steroid therapy that they've been using in extreme cases. Have you been hospitalized for this at all? I had a friend of a friend who was violently ill and hospitalized and even the Zofran pump wasn't working for her. She ended up on Prednisone (which also works like an antihistamine in some cases) and it's the only thing that worked. She was able to eat and keep it down for the first time in weeks.
Good luck! I hated that my old OB would never give me Zofran or do anything but Compazine, Tigan or Phenegren and I have to go to the ER for IV fluids. If it gets bad again this time I'm pushing my OB to do SOMETHING.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
nursekatie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I tried everything and nothing really worked for me. Just try to get and keep something down as often as you can and rest a lot.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:18 AM   #7
litllegreekmama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
If you're still having severe HG issues after Rx meds, you should look into something else like the pump the PP suggested. There is also a new steroid therapy that they've been using in extreme cases. Have you been hospitalized for this at all? I had a friend of a friend who was violently ill and hospitalized and even the Zofran pump wasn't working for her. She ended up on Prednisone (which also works like an antihistamine in some cases) and it's the only thing that worked. She was able to eat and keep it down for the first time in weeks.
Good luck! I hated that my old OB would never give me Zofran or do anything but Compazine, Tigan or Phenegren and I have to go to the ER for IV fluids. If it gets bad again this time I'm pushing my OB to do SOMETHING.
I have been to the ER 4 times and admitted once about two weeks ago for it. Several of my friends of have had HG really severe have suggested steroids, and say it's the only thing that got them on their feet again!