Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-07-2011, 11:09 PM   #1
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
36 weeks along - Give me your opinion on my NB stash!

So here's what I've accumulated thus far:

Diapers:
12 GMD PFs - 6 orange, 6 yellow (both unbleached)
6 Chinese PFs, infant (unbleached)
6 Indian PFs, infant (unbleached)
6 Bummis Organic PFs, smallest size (unbleached)
12 Gerber Birdseye 3-ply PFs
1 Kissaluvs Fleece Hybrid One Size (unbleached)
1 Scuttlebutts OS Fitted, Penguin
1 New School Cloth OS Fitted Pocket, Animal Print
1 Little Lions NB Fitted, Off White
1 Bum Genius XS Bamboo Fitted
1 Cloth-eez Workhorse, Small
1 (Unknown Brand) Tie Dyed Prefitted, Estimated at small size (none listed)
1 WAHM Fitted/AIO, Small, Elephants
1 WAHM Fitted, Newborn/Small, Iced Giraffe
(1 Snuggles n' Sunshine Fitted, NB, Super Hero coming)

Liners:
10 Kushies Washable Liners
(However, I've been told by a few people that liners aren't really necessary for NBs? Otherwise I would invest in more.)

Covers:
1 Bummis Super Brite, Blue 8-16lbs
1 Bummis Super Whisper Wrap, Froggy Pond 8-15lbs
2 Bummi Super Whisper Wrap, White NB
2 Thirsties Duo Wrap Snap, Blue/Meadow 6-18lbs
1 Bumkins XS, Off White
1 Fluffy's XS, Blue w/ Turtles

Also have:
2 Snappi fasteners - Bright Blue/Light Blue
2 Plastic Head Pins (tyvm GMD)

I have NO flippin' clue what will work for my LO, so I've been trying to get a good variety, and then work from there. I think I may need more covers, and want to get some flats as well. Other than that, any recommendations? All input welcome Trying to get it all together before he comes

Advertisement

Last edited by Hillargh; 05-07-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
rawheid
Registered Users
seller

Re: 36 weeks along - Give me your opinion on my NB stash!

I think that sounds like a good list. It's true, you never know whats going to work for you and you never know how big you're baby is or how fast they'll grow out of stuff. You're right about the liners. You won't need them. I'm sure there are some people that love them, but in my experience we didn't use them. I actually never used them ever even once our baby started eating solids, but that was personal choice.

I don't have any experience with those brands of OS diapers, but likely they'll be too big to use for the beginning. We have MEOS and I didn't like them till my babies were closer to 15 lbs. But I think you've got a good # of diapers.
Join me on Swagbucks

rawheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
poopstermomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

You've got 50 prefolds/fitteds!! that's more than plenty! I'd stop there and wait to invest more money in your small stash. Newborn/xs stuff will likely only last a few weeks. i'm cding a newborn at the moment (foster baby) and we have 24 prefolds, 5 covers and 6 aios. That's MORE than plenty for me, and I only do laundry every other day.
poopstermomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
Nachomama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think that looks great! You've got a good mix of stuff. I think 8 covers should be plenty, especially since you're not trifolding.

I'm planning on taking flushable liners with to the hospital, only so I won't have poo sitting around in my room for the day. After that, I'll use fleece liners with my fitteds and flats to help with feeling dry.

You have wipes and wetbags/pail liners, too, right?
Old 05-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
kelly_jeanie
Registered Users
seller

I've never used cloth on a newborn but your stash looks awesome!!
Old 05-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopstermomma View Post
You've got 50 prefolds/fitteds!! that's more than plenty! I'd stop there and wait to invest more money in your small stash. Newborn/xs stuff will likely only last a few weeks. i'm cding a newborn at the moment (foster baby) and we have 24 prefolds, 5 covers and 6 aios. That's MORE than plenty for me, and I only do laundry every other day.
Haha wow, I didn't even realize the number had gotten that high I was trying to get a variety to see what works best for him, kwim? I'm thinking prefolds and covers will be the way we go, but you never know! Good to know I can do it with the amount of PFs and covers I have so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawheid View Post
I think that sounds like a good list. It's true, you never know whats going to work for you and you never know how big you're baby is or how fast they'll grow out of stuff. You're right about the liners. You won't need them. I'm sure there are some people that love them, but in my experience we didn't use them. I actually never used them ever even once our baby started eating solids, but that was personal choice.

I don't have any experience with those brands of OS diapers, but likely they'll be too big to use for the beginning. We have MEOS and I didn't like them till my babies were closer to 15 lbs. But I think you've got a good # of diapers.
Some of the OS I got actually look like they'll be able to fit a NB! I was very surprised. Some of the others, like the fleece ones I got, are far too big but hopefully will fit him when it gets colder, so they may work out to be perfect.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachomama View Post
I think that looks great! You've got a good mix of stuff. I think 8 covers should be plenty, especially since you're not trifolding.

I'm planning on taking flushable liners with to the hospital, only so I won't have poo sitting around in my room for the day. After that, I'll use fleece liners with my fitteds and flats to help with feeling dry.

You have wipes and wetbags/pail liners, too, right?
Using the liners in the hospital is a GREAT idea! I hadn't even considered it! Thanks so much.

We haven't decided which wetbags/liners and wipes we want to go with yet. We have some sposie wipes, but I kind of want to try some cloth ones. They seem like they would work better.

I keep seeing hugely varied opinions on wetbags/liners, and we won't have a sprayer, so I have no idea which to go with on that Any recommendations?
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:23 PM   #7
Piper4242
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillargh View Post

We haven't decided which wetbags/liners and wipes we want to go with yet. We have some sposie wipes, but I kind of want to try some cloth ones. They seem like they would work better.

I keep seeing hugely varied opinions on wetbags/liners, and we won't have a sprayer, so I have no idea which to go with on that Any recommendations?
I definitely recommend using cloth wipes then you don't have to separate the wipe and diaper just throw both in your diaper pail/wet bag.

You won't need a diaper sprayer if you are EBF- you might want it when your baby starts solids but many people are just as happy using liners at that point. I have both- I use the liners when we are out and about and the diaper sprayer at home both both aren't necessary.

I have the medium and small planet wise wet bags for my diaper bag and then a Wahmies pail liner for my diaper pail. I think they are all so similar wherever u can get the best deal.

Kjirsten Hope~ i love being married to my amazing husband and am a proud mommy to my DD (7/31/09) my DS (6/20/11) and my DD (12/3/13)

i love , ,
Piper4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:13 PM   #8
Nachomama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm a huge fan of cloth wipes. IMO, it's easier to be able to throw the whole pile into your pail, than to remember to throw the sposie wipes in the trash. Plus, then you have just poopy wipes in the trash. It doesn't get full as quickly as if there were sposie dipes in it, too, so it can get smelly. Plus, if you accidentally wash the wipes, sometimes they shred.

As for the actual wipes, with DS, I made some flannel ones, both single layer and double. They are easy even if you have only basic sewing skills and no serger (me). I also used cheapie baby wash clothes. For this baby, I dyed some OBV and borrowed a friend's serger. These seem super nice and soft.

We have a regular kitchen garbage can with a lid that pops up with a foot pedal. I have 2 pail liners for it. That way, when one is in the wash/drying (I hang it to dry), the other is in the pail. I've tried a couple of brands. I think my Planet Wise one has held up the best. I have a couple of wetbags for on the go. Again, I like to have more than one so I have one to use while the other is drying. I like to wash them after each use, so I have 3 in case we go out a few days in a row. Again, I've used various different brands. I just get whichever one I can get a deal on.