Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-09-2011, 12:17 AM   #71
growgrowgrow
Registered Users
seller

Re: Weekly Chat -May 3- May 9th

thanks hillary - i'm going to muddle through an explanation of my options, feel free to skim it or skip it, it's partly for me to process it myself. :-)

so. here in tucson we have two midwife groups. one delivers only at a hospital (this is the el rio midwife group) and the other delivers at the freestanding birth center, or hospital in the event of transfer, and is overseen by a (intervention-aggressive, from what i hear) group of high-risk obs.

when i was pregnant with alice, i tried to go to the birth center. i had an appointment where i had filled out all this paperwork and the midwife with whom i met told me that because i had severe GERD and a history of depression they would not let me deliver at their facility. they would see me as a patient but i would also be seeing the high-risk obs (for GERD and depression - seriously) and i'd have to deliver at the hospital. i have heard it's even harder / more red tape now.

the other group, the el rio midwives, i went to after being risked out at the birth center. i figured at least this way maybe i would not need to see the obs. well, i had a bad experience there with a couple of the midwives telling me i just had a bad cold, and my itching was normal, and i kept saying no, this is not normal, something is very wrong. eventually i went back to see the ob i had started out seeing during the pregnancy and was hospitalized when they found spots / scarring / nodules on my lungs in an x-ray. it turned out i actually was gravely ill with valley fever (a weird desert disease for those who don't know).

i don't have valley fever this time, but just being told by the midwives that nothing was wrong with me when i was saying, i know my body, this is not normal, was a huge turnoff. it was just a couple of them and it was several years ago now, but i guess it was enough that i don't feel comfortable going back there.

so it's those two options and then whatever homebirth midwives there are. homebirth is not an option for us financially (birthing at a hospital will cost us nothing; a homebirth would be something like $5,000 and DH will be without a job again in june or i would contact a midwife and try to talk about payment plans or whatever. but there will be nothing to make ANY payment with, nothing at all, so it is just not an option).

i guess i could try going back to the birth center, and see if they will at least let me deliver at the hospital with a midwife & without involving the high-risk obs. but i really doubt it, because now my GI stuff is worse than it was before, and if they get a copy of my chart they'll see that the baby did have an enlarged kidney on earlier ultrasounds (it was normal at the last u/s).

i have heard horror stories (from people i know) about the obs that oversee the midwives at the birth center. don't really want to 'go there.'

part of me is considering just showing up at the hospital that has birthing tubs, and just getting whoever is on call... even though i have not seen any of the obs who deliver there before, ever.

i don't know. i feel really panicked about it. i am worried about switching to another ob practice. at this point i guess i would be doing it to deliver at the other hospital, which has tubs, and i think the nurses / obs there are more natural-birth friendly, but then again the hospital where my current ob delivers has the lowest c-sec rate... BUT i don't like the facility... and what my l&d nurse friend told me freaked me out....

argh! i wish the baby's kidney had measured normally earlier so this would be an easier thing to do.

Advertisement

Old 05-09-2011, 03:41 AM   #72
hikergal73
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi Ladies,
Hope everyone had a good Mother's Day. DH took me out for breakfast and we went and bought plants for the garden. We then we went to our friend's daughter's first b-day party.

I couldn't fall back to sleep this morning after DD woke up at 4 AM. I just rubbed her back and she was fine but then I couldn't sleep. *sigh* It will be a long day today. She's been on a no-nap kick this weekend which has made things difficult, too. I am thinking her schedule was a little hectic over the past few days so maybe once she's back in routine this week, she'll be okay. I certainly hope she's not dropping her nap this early! Mom needs her naps, too!

I gave my final day at work - June 2. I am counting the days now - I've been so tired and just don't want to deal with it anymore. It's a relief to have a set date on the calendar. Originally I want to work longer because the money would be nice but at this point I don't care.

Emily - hope you find some relief for back. That just sounds awful.

Mindy - hope the stone has truly passed and that you're on the mend. And that the baby hangs in there for a little longer.

Deborah - I can understand about being freaked out. I would be, too, after what the L&D nurse told you. FWIW, I had a friend switch practices at 35 weeks so it's not impossible to do. Maybe you can tour the other hospital if you haven't already? It sounds like it is a little more natural childbirth-friendly, maybe if you talk to the nurses there they might be able to recommend a good OB practice. It wouldn't hurt to look into it.

Last edited by hikergal73; 05-09-2011 at 07:14 AM.
hikergal73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:36 AM   #73
maple79vt
Registered Users
seller

Deborah, your post jogged my memory. One of the midwifes from the practice I attend moved to your area a few years ago. She's wonderful! Very cautious, listens to her patients and I've always had a wonderful experience with her. I think she might be part of the birth center though so it might not work. It might be worth looking into. This what I could find on where she is now, don't know if it's near you or not. Hope it makes sense.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/judith-butler/10/34a/782
maple79vt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:33 AM   #74
Sarahknavy
Registered Users
seller

Just did my 36 weeks appt. my BP was a little high but I had some coffee this morning... hopefully that explains. It was about 130 over 89. Baby is head down. woot. She said he had a big head... lol.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #75
poopstermomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahknavy View Post
Just did my 36 weeks appt. my BP was a little high but I had some coffee this morning... hopefully that explains. It was about 130 over 89. Baby is head down. woot. She said he had a big head... lol.
Wednesday, my BP was 80/45. Midwife checked it twice, and then declared that I must be alive despite having such low BP!! I told her that if my BP gets to 100/60, she should consider me stroking out!! LOL!

36 weeks sounds sooo close!! I can't believe our pregnancies are almost over!!
poopstermomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:28 PM   #76
BabySnickerdoodles
Registered Users
Formerly: Generalsgirl08
seller
seller

My Mood:

WHEW! I am back

Moving was *insane*. Last Monday DH walked me to the house across the street (a very nice manufactured home), and announced we were moving in! This makes the 5th move in about a year

Grace and Miriam had just come to stay with us full-time though, so they helped a TON with making the move happen! We were moved out in 2 days, and unpacked in 2 more, and now I just have a few things here and there that need to be done to get us settled (recycle moving boxes, swap storage stuff, hang pictures, unpack medicine cabinet...).

WEEKLY QUESTION:
Well, I am 38 weeks now (the 10th, ), and I am just having a weird feeling like I'll deliver on the 1st of June! I would be a week overdue, which is totally normal for me, so the only reason I am thinking I might go later/earlier than that is because all 3 of my boys were born on Saturdays, and the EDD is a Tuesday, and the 1st is a Wednesday. We shall see! I just don't wanna go 42 weeks though (the 7th), but am determined to not be depressed if I do go past the 41 week mark.

Leigh, that was me asking about the "gentle birth" formula So far it has been FANTASTIC! I haven't been at ALL constipated...I was having hemorhoid bleeding and it helped stop that up...I have had a few whopper contractions, but this is the first pregnancy that I HAVEN'T had serious prelabor! Usually by 37 weeks I am contracting so regularly (especially in the evening/night) that I have to take a glass of wine every couple of days, and a bath, so I can just get a couple hours of sleep! This is so nice just having a couple good solid ones in the day, but even those are only when aggravated by me overdoing things (bending, lifting, running around, etc).
So I definitely the formula! I am also hoping it'll really help PP bleeding and shorten labor too. We'll see!

Baby heartbeat was in the 150's today, but when I first laid down for the doppler it was 137. This baby sure doesn't want its sex known! I am still just as unsure about the sex as I was before...just a couple more weeks till we know though, yay!

I need to go update my "to do" list now...gosh, catching up has been time consuming! I am glad everyone and their Junebugs are doing well, even though life is rough sometimes
Ready to Shop for Woolies? Check out Baby Snickerdoodles on Hyena Cart
BabySnickerdoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:36 PM   #77
Scaethach
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by growgrowgrow View Post
thanks hillary - i'm going to muddle through an explanation of my options, feel free to skim it or skip it, it's partly for me to process it myself. :-)

so. here in tucson we have two midwife groups. one delivers only at a hospital (this is the el rio midwife group) and the other delivers at the freestanding birth center, or hospital in the event of transfer, and is overseen by a (intervention-aggressive, from what i hear) group of high-risk obs.

when i was pregnant with alice, i tried to go to the birth center. i had an appointment where i had filled out all this paperwork and the midwife with whom i met told me that because i had severe GERD and a history of depression they would not let me deliver at their facility. they would see me as a patient but i would also be seeing the high-risk obs (for GERD and depression - seriously) and i'd have to deliver at the hospital. i have heard it's even harder / more red tape now.

the other group, the el rio midwives, i went to after being risked out at the birth center. i figured at least this way maybe i would not need to see the obs. well, i had a bad experience there with a couple of the midwives telling me i just had a bad cold, and my itching was normal, and i kept saying no, this is not normal, something is very wrong. eventually i went back to see the ob i had started out seeing during the pregnancy and was hospitalized when they found spots / scarring / nodules on my lungs in an x-ray. it turned out i actually was gravely ill with valley fever (a weird desert disease for those who don't know).

i don't have valley fever this time, but just being told by the midwives that nothing was wrong with me when i was saying, i know my body, this is not normal, was a huge turnoff. it was just a couple of them and it was several years ago now, but i guess it was enough that i don't feel comfortable going back there.

so it's those two options and then whatever homebirth midwives there are. homebirth is not an option for us financially (birthing at a hospital will cost us nothing; a homebirth would be something like $5,000 and DH will be without a job again in june or i would contact a midwife and try to talk about payment plans or whatever. but there will be nothing to make ANY payment with, nothing at all, so it is just not an option).

i guess i could try going back to the birth center, and see if they will at least let me deliver at the hospital with a midwife & without involving the high-risk obs. but i really doubt it, because now my GI stuff is worse than it was before, and if they get a copy of my chart they'll see that the baby did have an enlarged kidney on earlier ultrasounds (it was normal at the last u/s).

i have heard horror stories (from people i know) about the obs that oversee the midwives at the birth center. don't really want to 'go there.'

part of me is considering just showing up at the hospital that has birthing tubs, and just getting whoever is on call... even though i have not seen any of the obs who deliver there before, ever.

i don't know. i feel really panicked about it. i am worried about switching to another ob practice. at this point i guess i would be doing it to deliver at the other hospital, which has tubs, and i think the nurses / obs there are more natural-birth friendly, but then again the hospital where my current ob delivers has the lowest c-sec rate... BUT i don't like the facility... and what my l&d nurse friend told me freaked me out....

argh! i wish the baby's kidney had measured normally earlier so this would be an easier thing to do.
That's so hard but I totally understand. We know our bodies so much more than anyone else does, and explaining when we KNOW something is wrong can be so hard (like taking kidney stone pain as normal pregnancy back pain... um I know better!) And valley fever is brutal. You might want to check into the "other" hospital's policy - like will they let you use the tubs if you're not established under one of their OBs care, would they automatically treat you as GBS positive, etc. (The hospital where I had DS wouldn't allow certain things without them having had you in care because they wouldn't take risks without knowing your history). Find out if differences in treatment would be a dealbreaker if you just show up in labor. That might help your decision in the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikergal73 View Post
Hi Ladies,
Hope everyone had a good Mother's Day. DH took me out for breakfast and we went and bought plants for the garden. We then we went to our friend's daughter's first b-day party.

I couldn't fall back to sleep this morning after DD woke up at 4 AM. I just rubbed her back and she was fine but then I couldn't sleep. *sigh* It will be a long day today. She's been on a no-nap kick this weekend which has made things difficult, too. I am thinking her schedule was a little hectic over the past few days so maybe once she's back in routine this week, she'll be okay. I certainly hope she's not dropping her nap this early! Mom needs her naps, too!

I gave my final day at work - June 2. I am counting the days now - I've been so tired and just don't want to deal with it anymore. It's a relief to have a set date on the calendar. Originally I want to work longer because the money would be nice but at this point I don't care.

Emily - hope you find some relief for back. That just sounds awful.

Mindy - hope the stone has truly passed and that you're on the mend. And that the baby hangs in there for a little longer.

Deborah - I can understand about being freaked out. I would be, too, after what the L&D nurse told you. FWIW, I had a friend switch practices at 35 weeks so it's not impossible to do. Maybe you can tour the other hospital if you haven't already? It sounds like it is a little more natural childbirth-friendly, maybe if you talk to the nurses there they might be able to recommend a good OB practice. It wouldn't hurt to look into it.
for a last day! Mine is the Friday before Memorial Day, having something firm to count down to feels so good, and if baby isn't here the idea of a "break" just sounds great!!

And I am on the mend for sure. I worked a full day of work today and felt better than I had in over a month. Exhausted, trying to get back to normal, but no bronchitis, no kidney pain, just the prego uncomfortables, which is A-OK!!!
Like my Facebook! Etsy
Scaethach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:14 AM   #78
growgrowgrow
Registered Users
seller

thanks ladies for all the feedback on my quandry. i am still not sure what to do. even though i don't love the facility (no tubs! crappy low-water-pressure / cold showers!) and have some reservations about the nurses / OBs, at least it is familiar. i do feel comfortable with *my* OB, and i remember a couple others of them from last time, and if my l&d nurse friend is working she can maybe help make sure i get a nurse who is more natural-birth friendly (she wouldn't be able to be my actual nurse b/c of her job description). also it is closer to our house.

the 'good' hospital is 45 min away. at hypnobirthing tonight we were talking about this... i did get a recommendation for the name of a practice / particular OB that delivers there. that hospital has tubs! big jacuzzi ones! but do i really, really want to deal with switching this late in the game? just thinking about it i feel nervous, i kind of am reluctant to do it because i want things to be familiar and feel safe.

i don't know. it's also hard to work out babysitting / transportation to get to appts, and it is even farther to the other OB practice. DH feels like we should stay with the current practice b/c at least we know what to expect.

anyway. sorry, it's just weighing on me a lot.

mindy, i'm so glad to hear you're feeling better! that is AWESOME. i hope you have the very easiest end of pregnancy from here on out, ever!

heather, so glad to see you again! i missed you. hey, i can't remember who grace and miriam are. glad you are getting settled in and i hope you can stay put for a long while now.

maple, thanks for the mw rec! yep, she is at the birth center. she does look like a wonderful lady.

mary, i hope you got a nap or at least had an easy day today. i hate when the kiddo wakes up super early and then i can't get back to sleep even when she does.

emily, how's your back?

hope everyone is fine... it's supposed to be cooler here tomorrow so i am looking fwd to that. i should make myself go for a walk... but i basically gave that up when it got hot a few weeks ago, and now i'm worried i won't be able to handle exercise! ack.