Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-12-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
doxiegal
Registered Users

Pleasantly surprised!

I've been thinking about homebirth since DD was born. I think I'm a pretty good candidate with 2 uncomplicated pregnancies and births. And something that really puts my mind at ease, the fire station with paramedics is just a couple of blocks away from me. The cost was the biggest thing that kept me from it. Well, our insurance changed in January. A hospital birth (out of pocket) would now be more than it was when I had DD. I talked to a CPM and my insurance. CPM would bill my insurance for me. My insurance says they cover CPMs as out of network providers...60% after I pay the first $100. After doing the math, a homebirth will be no more than $200 more than the hospital...and that if it's more b/c I did my calculations according to what my insurance says a birth costs. I think prenatal and postnatal appointments and infant care in the hospital are more. The homebirth may even be a little cheaper b/c the CPM mentioned that she also barters to keep her costs affordable. A homebirth is a possibility now!

Advertisement

My blog: Mama Dani's Musings
~*~ My Etsy shop: Made By Mama Dani

Last edited by doxiegal; 05-12-2011 at 12:29 PM.
doxiegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
kismetbaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pleasantly surprised!

I loved my HB! Our ins covered almost 100% of it (but we had unusually good ins then). . .this time we may have to pay quite a bit more out of pocket, but it is totally worth it IMO.

Having paramedics nearby is a good thing, b/c god forbid something should go wrong, it doesn't really matter how close the hospital is (no woman in labor can move quickly!), but having emergency services close is great.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #3
erin_c_odonnell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We had hb with my last and won't do it any other way now- it was WONDERFUL!!
MW here are roughly $2700... That includes everything- check ups, birth, and after care. We don't have any insurance so it'll be interesting to see how Im gonna come up with the funds but one way or another we'll get it
Old 05-12-2011, 05:36 PM   #4
doxiegal
Registered Users

This midwife charges $2100 if you go to her for your checkups or $2500 if you have you checkups in your home. With the insurance it's only $160 difference. I'll have my checkups here. It'll make things much easier not having to worry about what to do with my 2 little ones. This midwife also does placenta encapsulation. I'm excited about that too b/c of the ppd I had w/DD.

My blog: Mama Dani's Musings
~*~ My Etsy shop: Made By Mama Dani
doxiegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
fluffybunsdiapers
Registered Users
Formerly: paulzangel
seller

My Mood:

Yay-I hope you have a wonderful homebirth experience. I don't think that is something I could reasonably do with my medical history but I am really hoping for a VBAC this round!