Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #51
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chat Thread - May 2-8th

So I just received another update. The county is only going to go for supervised custody of the mom so after Tuesday, the baby would be released to mom instead of me. If she's released before then (unlikely at this point), she'd be released to me. I'm glad I have a little closure on it. Our main goal is to adopt through doing foster care and this obviously wouldn't have been a case where that would happen. I certainly don't mind doing placements where they go back, but this would have been so short and a lot of hassle anyway. Need to return those preemie clothes now because even if I did have her a day or something, I wouldn't really need them.

Advertisement

Old 05-13-2011, 02:31 PM   #52
orangepiggyslittledog
Registered Users

we got a phone call....waiting to hear back if they will be placing them with us...ages 5 2 and 8 months old. Eep! Enjoyed our short little break (our last placement left a few days ago) but ready to get back at it.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #53
jenfostermom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Must be the day for placement calls

Got a call today for a short term foster placement of an AA sib set, both GIRLS. (Hooray for PINK!!!) They are 2 years old and 7 mos old. It's a move from another foster home where they have been for just a couple weeks - the baby has a healing skull fracture and the foster home is has only been licensed a short time and they are overwhelmed with the medical stuff, so they gave notice. There's a slight chance they could go back home after court next Wednesday, but if not they will be moving here. Cautiously excited.....
Old 05-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #54
amyltc
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yay Jen! So exciting!

So dh and I have been talking and I think we are going to still put our adoption application in with the agency, but also put in to do foster care, but only for 2 and under, which I know might take a bit longer to get a kiddo, but we really feel it would be best to have a kiddo younger than our youngest. Then we will just wait and see how our family is built. Its going to be a super busy summer getting licensed, but I'm really excited at the prospect of getting started!
amyltc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:40 PM   #55
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynneBabies View Post
That's nice WI does that. In one of the classes I took for foster parents interested in adopting, I found out apparently MN had a program for awhile where you could still receive the stipend for a medically special needs child, but it was only by lottery and has now ended. One family there was really sad about it because they would like to officially adopt a child they have had for many years (severe medical needs) but can't afford to take care of her without the stipend.
this is heartbreaking. i really feel lucky in WI i think we have some great programs/practices in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyutalktome View Post
In TX you do keep Medicaid until they are 18, some adoptions get a subsidy (special needs, older children, and sibling groups). All kids adopted through foster care get free state college. That is my favorite part! But we have great insurance with the military so I don't usually think about the medical insurance

We had to say no to respite kiddos and it makes me sad. We're going out of town for dh's sister's graduation. I really enjoyed our last respite and really want to do more of it.
that is AWESOME!!! so if they aren't adopted and age out of foster care do they still get the free state college? i hope so! what an amazing opportunity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynneBabies View Post
So I just received another update. The county is only going to go for supervised custody of the mom so after Tuesday, the baby would be released to mom instead of me. If she's released before then (unlikely at this point), she'd be released to me. I'm glad I have a little closure on it. Our main goal is to adopt through doing foster care and this obviously wouldn't have been a case where that would happen. I certainly don't mind doing placements where they go back, but this would have been so short and a lot of hassle anyway. Need to return those preemie clothes now because even if I did have her a day or something, I wouldn't really need them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfostermom View Post
Must be the day for placement calls

Got a call today for a short term foster placement of an AA sib set, both GIRLS. (Hooray for PINK!!!) They are 2 years old and 7 mos old. It's a move from another foster home where they have been for just a couple weeks - the baby has a healing skull fracture and the foster home is has only been licensed a short time and they are overwhelmed with the medical stuff, so they gave notice. There's a slight chance they could go back home after court next Wednesday, but if not they will be moving here. Cautiously excited.....

to the poor baby with the skull fracture.

Last edited by newmommy13; 05-13-2011 at 08:49 PM.
newmommy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #56
sillyutalktome
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy13 View Post
that is AWESOME!!! so if they aren't adopted and age out of foster care do they still get the free state college? i hope so! what an amazing opportunity!
Yes they still qualify for it. They have kinda shown that the unadopted children don't take full advantage of the program without a support system though. Totally sad.