Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Vax reaction spinoff - If you vax'd at 2+ years, was there a significant difference?

I've seen a lot of mamas say on various vaxing threads that they waited until their LO was 2yrs old (or later), and I'm just wondering if anyone who did vax (delayed or on schedule) after that point had better/worse/same reactions with their LOs?

I've yet to look into the advantages of waiting until 2+ years (feel free to share if you want to!), but it seems to be a pretty common thing. I was reading the other reactions thread, and most were telling of reactions they had in their infants at 6months, 9months, etc. Any experiences are appreciated!

Advertisement

Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
uncertain
Registered Users
seller

Re: Vax reaction spinoff - If you vax'd at 2+ years, was there a significant differen

I don't have anything to share yet, but we're waiting until after 6 years old, because it's around 6 yrs that the blood-brain barrier starts to close, so less chance of vax ingredients heading up into the brain. Also, the same vax dose (volume) is given to a baby as to an older person, so it makes a lot more sense to me to make sure that the body is bigger before being administered any shots.
uncertain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Re: Vax reaction spinoff - If you vax'd at 2+ years, was there a significant differen

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncertain View Post
I don't have anything to share yet, but we're waiting until after 6 years old, because it's around 6 yrs that the blood-brain barrier starts to close, so less chance of vax ingredients heading up into the brain. Also, the same vax dose (volume) is given to a baby as to an older person, so it makes a lot more sense to me to make sure that the body is bigger before being administered any shots.
Oh I never knew that! (Only recently have i started looking into them at all) I'll have to try to find some information on that. I know that here, after 5 yrs old, a few vax shots aren't required at all, which I thought was odd I wasn't aware that they didn't change the dosage either. Thanks for the input!
Old 05-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #5
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD has had reactions at before and after age 2...once she started having the whole set of "normal" reactions each time she was vaccinated on schedule, we decided to split them up. We started doing vaccinations no less than 6-8 weeks apart and we only do one vaccination at a time, separated if possible (like the combination vax Pentacel has DTaP, Hib, and IPV...so we got three separate vaccinations, our ped's office couldn't get DTap separated. Same with MMR, it was one vax because they couldn't get them separate). Since we started splitting them up, we've seen a drastic reduction in reactions...she'll occasionally get a low-grade fever, like 99-100 degrees, but not much else, if anything at all. However, on the ones that are still combination (MMR at age 24 months and DTaP at 32 months), we've seen greater reactions to them than some of the others...not sure if its just coincidence or something to do with them being combination though.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryisinked View Post
I hope there's not anything popcorn worthy LOL. However, now I want some ._.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashncakes View Post
DD has had reactions at before and after age 2...once she started having the whole set of "normal" reactions each time she was vaccinated on schedule, we decided to split them up. We started doing vaccinations no less than 6-8 weeks apart and we only do one vaccination at a time, separated if possible (like the combination vax Pentacel has DTaP, Hib, and IPV...so we got three separate vaccinations, our ped's office couldn't get DTap separated. Same with MMR, it was one vax because they couldn't get them separate). Since we started splitting them up, we've seen a drastic reduction in reactions...she'll occasionally get a low-grade fever, like 99-100 degrees, but not much else, if anything at all. However, on the ones that are still combination (MMR at age 24 months and DTaP at 32 months), we've seen greater reactions to them than some of the others...not sure if its just coincidence or something to do with them being combination though.
Oh, so she had the same reactions regardless of age, until you started splitting them or doing combos? That's pretty interesting, and actually makes total sense to me. I know if I'm overloaded with tons of things, it makes it harder on my body. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by Hillargh; 05-16-2011 at 07:36 PM.