Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2011, 06:29 AM   #1
AniBee
Registered Users
seller

Melatonin for a baby?

Background: At 2 weeks old DS2 was rushed to the hospital with severe jaundice & hemolytic anemia & needed a blood transfusion. He stayed in the NICU for a week.

He's nearly 7 months old & we've been trying to figure out what's "wrong" with him for quite some time...he cries a LOT, usually naps for an hour at a time & wakes up between 4 & 10 times a night. We've been to the ped several times, have looked into reflux, allergies & intolerances...but she keeps telling us it's merely behavioral. I'm thinking the crying is probably related to being overtired/lack of sleep but no matter what we try we cannot get him to nap longer or have less night wakings.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with melatonin in babies? whether it's safe to try, what form to use & how much of a dose?

I've read a bit of info regarding babies sleep patterns being effected if they're in the NICU for an extended stay & I wonder if that's even more true when their stay occurs at such a young age. The bright lights, the noise & other babies crying. DS2 also had a lot of blood drawn, so there were traumatic needle jabs every couple of hours around the clock for the first 2-3 days of his stay...I can't imagine that helps with sleep patterns.

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 08:26 PM   #2
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't know about melatonin for babies but my first thought when you said all that was allergies. I hope you can figure it out soon!
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:41 PM   #3
*Eva*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Melatonin for a baby?

Have you tried chiropractic at all? I would give that a shot before melatonin, not that I have anything against it, my 6 year old took it for 2 years to get him on a good sleep cycle. I would just rather try other things before going to medication. I would also look at allergies too. Both of my kids are allergic to dairy and screaming continuously and not sleeping were both symptoms they had if they ingested any.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
carleyann'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.calmsforte.com/home/ This is a homeopathic sleep aide

carleyann'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:17 AM   #5
AniBee
Registered Users
seller

He's been on reflux meds as well as on elemental formula with no change. He shows no signs in the day of any discomfort & seems to cry more when I leave the room or he's not being held. The night crying/waking is the same...it doesn't seem like it's out of discomfort at all.

Melatonin isn't a medication though...it's something our own body produces naturally.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:15 AM   #6
Minniebees
Registered Users
Formerly: Mom2two
seller

My Mood:

You should probably have a chat with your doc about it. that's a pretty young critter to put on a sleep aid without getting it cleared first. JMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniBee View Post
He's been on reflux meds as well as on elemental formula with no change. He shows no signs in the day of any discomfort & seems to cry more when I leave the room or he's not being held. The night crying/waking is the same...it doesn't seem like it's out of discomfort at all.

Melatonin isn't a medication though...it's something our own body produces naturally.
Yes, our body does produce it, however, sometimes when we artificially give ourselves a neurotransmitter our body responds by not making it anymore. In little people their brains are still developing, and the amounts of neurotransmitters their brains are producing is still being fine tuned. I have no idea what kind of effect giving a baby melatonin would have in the long term for someone who was on it so young. I'm not sure there are any long term studies on melatonin that was given to children under the age of 2 or 3.

Sometimes babies are just crabby babies. My ds cried non-stop for 10 months straight. He cried all night long. He cried all day long. He barely even stopped to eat. Like he'd latch on, drink for a bit, pull off scream, and latch back on to eat. He never stopped crying. Some babies are like that. My nephew was another baby who cried constantly. Some kids are just super high needs, and it sucks, but you can't change their personality, KWIM? I know that's hard to hear. Believe me, lol, you want to find something to make it stop. But I think for the majority of colicky babies, there is nothing wrong.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:16 AM   #7
ssand23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniBee

Which formula did you try? I hate to say it but some kids are just high needs, esp one who got off to a rough start. That was/is my 11 year old. She was born at 33 weeks & always needed more. Sensory anything overloaded her as a baby, she needed more holding, didn't sleep well, etc. Now she's a great kid but has her own mind about everything & does everything on her own time. This will serve her well as an adult since she is kind but takes crap from no one but will drive me nuts for the next few years in the meantime
Dr Sears has a great book about your high needs baby that I found very helpful, even just to know I wasn't the only one out there with a baby/child who needed more.
ssand23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:53 AM   #8
lauren420
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniebees View Post
You should probably have a chat with your doc about it. that's a pretty young critter to put on a sleep aid without getting it cleared first. JMO.

Yes, our body does produce it, however, sometimes when we artificially give ourselves a neurotransmitter our body responds by not making it anymore. In little people their brains are still developing, and the amounts of neurotransmitters their brains are producing is still being fine tuned. I have no idea what kind of effect giving a baby melatonin would have in the long term for someone who was on it so young. I'm not sure there are any long term studies on melatonin that was given to children under the age of 2 or 3.

Sometimes babies are just crabby babies. My ds cried non-stop for 10 months straight. He cried all night long. He cried all day long. He barely even stopped to eat. Like he'd latch on, drink for a bit, pull off scream, and latch back on to eat. He never stopped crying. Some babies are like that. My nephew was another baby who cried constantly. Some kids are just super high needs, and it sucks, but you can't change their personality, KWIM? I know that's hard to hear. Believe me, lol, you want to find something to make it stop. But I think for the majority of colicky babies, there is nothing wrong.
This was/is my son too, I wanted to run away from him it was so bad