Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-17-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
Bowlingx7
Registered Users
seller

night training 5yo??

DS is still not night trained, wearing pull ups at bedtime. He is 5 1/2 and so far we've just been really relaxed about it. Sometimes he stays dry, but more often than not he wakes up wet.

The only advice I have gotten so far is to wake him up in the night and have him go to the bathroom. Now that the baby is born and will be up frequently at night I am thinking this could be possible, but I don't know if I could get him awake and down from his top bunk in the middle of the night.

We've also implemented no drinks after dinner, but it doesn't seem to be making a difference.

I am just seeking advice as I begin down this road, my girls were both really easy, it just happened. I have no idea what I am doing and I don't want to make him feel bad over something he can't help.

Advertisement

Old 05-17-2011, 07:34 PM   #2
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Re: night training 5yo??

My boy is also 5 1/2 and sleeping on the top bunk! He's also impossible to wake up at night. Everything I've read says it's completely normal for kids to not be able to hold it/wake up at night at this age. But I'd really like to quick buying diapers for the kid!
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
mrspnut82
Registered Users
seller
seller

My 5yo still wets at night. I used to stress over when she would finally train but I give up lol. She did good for almost a week then sleep over Nana's and she put a diaper on her to make sure she didn't wet her bed. Well she did and since then it's back to pull-ups
I just put one on her and she'll do it when she's ready. I use Totwraps, they don't hold a lot but enough for her anyways. My almost 4yo still wears dipes at night, she is showing no signs of night training. She would soak a pull-up so I don't even bother with those on her.
I figured they would do it when they're ready.
mrspnut82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:00 PM   #4
Bowlingx7
Registered Users
seller

well at least I am not alone! It doesn't really bother me, I've just started wondering how normal it is at his age. I've stayed in the mind of he'll do it when he's ready, but yeah, I am a little over buying pull-ups lol

Maybe I should look into some cloth alternatives. He's a heavy night wetter, always has been, I think that's part of the problem. Any recommendations?
Old 05-18-2011, 10:16 PM   #5
Aleta
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have bedwetters here (it runs in the family) and according to the ped. only 50% of children are night-trained at 5, 60% at 6, 70% at 7, etc so technically its 'normal' until 10 where 100% should be night trained by then. My grandpa was 12, Dad was 11, Sister1 was 11, Sister2 was 9, DD1 was 7 and my DD3 still wets at 5...

ETA: and we use happy heiny pocket dipes (Large or OS) for my DDs in the fun prints and call them 'pullups'

like me on Facebook
Aleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:44 PM   #6
clothforyourangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We did video game bribery with DS1 around his 5th birthday and it worked really really well. He'd been staying dry probably 75% of the time, but the rest he would be absolutely soaked. This was when he was really starting to get into wanting to play video games with DH, so we said that if he could be dry for 3 nights in a row, he could play video games for one afternoon. Then another 3 nights. If there was an accident in the middle, it restarted the 3 nights. Every night at bedtime, we'd go potty right before bed and then we'd talk about how many nights he had left and which game he'd want to play when he was done. Talks like this always have been great reminders for DS1. It took a few weeks before we were accident-free, but the right kind of motivation can work wonders and the bedtime reminder talks were critical. Now, he still only gets a few hours of video games per week, usually as other behavior rewards. We still have DS2 in some pull-up, side-snapping trainers that I made and I don't plan to worry about being dry at night for him until about 5, too.