Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-18-2011, 09:24 PM   #1
mamabear25
Registered Users
seller

What books should a child own?

I'm already starting to think about gifts for birthdays and Christmas for my DD, soon to be three and my DS, who will be 11 months at Christmas.

My daughter LOVES books, and we get lots of books from the library weekly. We have a decent collection here at home, but I would like to keep building it.

I know there are tons of great books out there, but what are some that you think should definitely be in a child's personal library?

Advertisement

mamabear25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:26 PM   #2
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

This
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

Sent from my EVO using DS Forum
jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:27 PM   #3
clothforyourangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What books should a child own?

The Boynton board books are all great for little kids. Some other board books that my kids have really enjoyed are:
Goodnight Moon
Guess How Much I Love You
Bear Snores On
the various "That's not my (dragon, pony, pirate, whatever)" books
Are You My Mother?

We have bunches of others, but those are some of the ones that were bedtime favorites for the under-3 age group. Oh, and a few new ones that my mom got for DS3 are: Sheep in a Jeep, and Owl and the *****cat (traditional nursery rhyme story with great pictures).

After 3 years old, we started doing longer stories in picture books. We have a great book "Here is the African Savannah" that my boys love because of all the animals that is really cool for teaching about animal ecology. We also have bunch of fairy tale books with great pictures. Trina Schart Hyman is a wonderful illustrator and we have a bunch of her books. We've also picked up several of the Serendipity books that my DH loved as a kid. My boys are a bit older, but they've been asking for the Catwings books at bedtime lately. Some of the best books that we have, we found at a wonderful used bookstore here. You never know what you'll find!
Old 05-18-2011, 10:48 PM   #4
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

For older kids (2.5+) I ADORE the books by Julia Donaldson - The Gruffalo, Gruffalo's Child, Whale and a Snail.... Actually I think some of them come as board books now.
They are the most wonderful books to read aloud. They make you sound like this fabulous storyteller.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:54 PM   #5
angely_06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

brown bear brown bear what do you see?
The very hungry caterpillar
The rainbow fish
If you give a mouse a cookie
Corduroy

These are in dd(almost4) & ds's(22mo.) collection, I remember them so it's nice to be able share books i loved as a kid with them. There are others, these are just the ones that came to mind right now.
angely_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:05 PM   #6
jacksmimi
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

With my first baby my mom threw me a "literary book shower". All the guests brought a book they loved as a child, or read to their children or grandchildren. It was amazing, the guests wrote in them, and each time we read them my son likes to read their messages again and again. We received so many classics and some newer ones too: Goodnight Moon, Brown Bear Brown Bear, What do you See, The Hungry Caterpillar, The Little Engine that Could, The Giving Tree, Love you Forever, Coduroy, Ferdinand, The Kissing Hand, You are my I love You (my favorite - but I'm mushy), Guess how much I love you, The Rainbow Fish, Where the Wild Things Are, Curious George, If you give a mouse a cookie, the Sandra Boynton Books are darling... Oh how I could go on and on. We LoVe books here!
Old 05-18-2011, 11:16 PM   #7
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:

Sorry my list is kind of crazy, some names of authors, some titles of books...

This is just off the top of my head, books I loved as a kid, and books my kids now love!

Dr. Suess books ("The Cat in the Hat")
Eric Carle books ("The Very Hungry Caterpillar")
Laura Joffe Numerhoff books ("If You Give a Mouse a Cookie")
Sandra Boynton books ("Snuggle Puppy" or "Personal Penguin")
Clifford books
Berenstein bears books
Curious George books
Madeline books
"Goodnight Moon"
"Chicka Chicka Boom Boom"
*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:26 PM   #8
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmimi View Post
With my first baby my mom threw me a "literary book shower". All the guests brought a book they loved as a child, or read to their children or grandchildren. It was amazing, the guests wrote in them, and each time we read them my son likes to read their messages again and again. We received so many classics and some newer ones too: Goodnight Moon, Brown Bear Brown Bear, What do you See, The Hungry Caterpillar, The Little Engine that Could, The Giving Tree, Love you Forever, Coduroy, Ferdinand, The Kissing Hand, You are my I love You (my favorite - but I'm mushy), Guess how much I love you, The Rainbow Fish, Where the Wild Things Are, Curious George, If you give a mouse a cookie, the Sandra Boynton Books are darling... Oh how I could go on and on. We LoVe books here!
We did this too and it was fantastic!!! We got many of the same books and I love them.

I love Shel Silversteins Poem books on top of The Giving Tree, like Light in the Attic and Where the Sidewalk Ends. Dr Seuess of course. The Velveteen Rabbit. We have so many favorites it's hard to name just a few.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:09 AM   #9
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ferdinand
Story of Ping
Books from the Peter Rabbit collection, especially:
Peter Rabbit
Jeremy Fisher
Tom Kitten
Jemimah Puddleduck
Appley Dappley
Mrs Tiggy Winkle
(We are slowly collecting them all).
I've never gone wrong with a book that won the Caldecott honor or medal. There are some gems in there, usually for the age range you're concerned with. Some that come to mind are:
Story of Anansi
Kittens First Full Moon
My Friend Rabbit
Time Flies
The Little Island
Ella Sarah Gets Dressed
Seven Blind Mice
In the Small, Small Pond

A library book that I went out of my way to own was Caroline Kennedy's collection of poems for children. Not only are the poems outstanding, but the illustrations that go with them are breathtaking. My daughter enjoys poems sometimes, and requests them when she's in the mood.

Anything by Jon Muth or Mo Willems as well. They collaborated on a book called City Dog, Country Frog that took my husband and me by surprise when we read it and we both cried toward the end, but then the actual end was very nice. It's a special book.

My daughter was demanding more complex stories around the age of 2, but I think that by the age of 3, most children will enjoy the books above.

The other thing I've done is just observed what my daughter's interests are. She is fond of hockey and dinosaurs. So I've gotten books on each, and they have been a hit for her. If you can figure out what topics interest your oldest, even if they aren't the best quality writing, they will be part of the rotation for a long time.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:10 AM   #10
lakemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All the Dr. Seuss
The berenstain bears series
Books about nature (even when the content is still a wee bit over their heads mine all loved the pictures and learning facts)

I LOVE the book shower idea and will do this when my older ones start to provide me with grandchildren.
lakemom is offline   Reply With Quote